Sign in to follow this  
Fliegenhund

Werner Voss inaccuracy?

I found an interesting series of videos on WW1 aces on youtube. The one I am adding a link to says werner voss shot down a two seater and after it crashed, he strafed the wreckage? I have read quite a few books on the topic and have never heard that. If anything I have read that it would have been almost unacceptable to strafe wreckage of a plane you had shot down. Has anyone heard this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN84DyCYXV8...feature=related its around the 1:00 min mark.

Edited by Fliegenhund

I found an interesting series of videos on WW1 aces on youtube. The one I am adding a link to says werner voss shot down a two seater and after it crashed, he strafed the wreckage? I have read quite a few books on the topic and have never heard that. If anything I have read that it would have been almost unacceptable to strafe wreckage of a plane you had shot down. Has anyone heard this before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN84DyCYXV8...feature=related its around the 1:00 min mark.

they did it sometimes to prevent the inmates burning the wreckage. to make them run away, not actually to kill them.

there were some known exceptions. mannock strafed downed huns to kill them because of his pure hatred against germans.

they were also strafed sometimes if they didn't give up but still tried to shoot at the aircraft from the ground, what also happened sometimes.

MvR wrote he once downed a two seater and didn't make them crash or burn but let them land safely. as he landed next to the enemie the two british inmates asked him why he was so careless. they tried to shoot at him from the ground but the gun had a stoppage.

he was quite angry because he saved their lifes and they thanked him by trying to kill him from the ground. in another event he downed a twoseater and flew very low above the wreckage to see if they were all right, but the gunner opened fire on him. voss told him, if it would happen to him, then he would strafe him. so for me it sounds like he did not do it and if, only when the inmates didn't gave up.

after the incidents MvR swore to himself, to never pardon anyone again and to make sure the enemy aircraft crashes with the inmates dead.

Voss strafed at least victories #19, 24, and 33 as they sat on the ground.

Thanks for the replies guys. I knew Voss was an intense and tremendously brave pilot, he must have really got in the zone after a kill. I imagine ground fire and even the men he shot down could have been plinking at him with sidearms, that would be enough for another couple passes. His final flight taking on 5 planes alone and damaging all of them has to be in the top 3 if not the top of all air to air combat. Hard to imagine the bravery and confidence he had in that DR1 to take them on.

I think the last stand thing it was likely out of necessity not because he was full of confidence, he couldn't run. He wasn't an idiot for sure.

Hello,

this fight has been discussed at length in numerous threads at the aerodrome forum, but there is no general opinion why this happened. Some said he had a hangover from last night, where they must have been celebrating and especially drinking a lot, maybe blurring clear decisions, but then the flight took place in the evening of the following day. Then Voss' plane was the Dr.I's predecessor, the "F1", still with the upper wing "problem" and a bigger engine, as well even more agile than the later Dr.I.

Some state he would have been able to climb away circling from the SE5as (this is at least how i survived a few times in OFF lol), but i think it would not have worked in reality. 3 SE5s following and 2 more gaining distance and then climbing at speed to follow would have caught up with him sooner or later. As i recently heard McCuddens's SE5 was kind of supercharged and able to fly at 21.000 feet, but then i doubt Voss knew that. One even got as far as to propose that Voss finally flew straight west, a usual action to show surrender and land behind enemy lines, but was merciless shot down. I do not think so, McCudden's and Rhys-Davie's post-combat reports showed nothing but admiration towards this pilot. But it was war after all ..

Greetings,

Catfish

On 7th April 1917, Robert Alexander Little flew willingly into combat with 11 Albatrosses, handpicked pilots of Richthofen's Jasta. He had ample opportunity to run if he wished. He simply outflew them.

There were men of that calibre around. Unafraid? Confident? Certainly outstanding.

Edited by Check Six