Sign in to follow this  
Check Six

Tweaking the TAC

I saw a thread here recently on how to reduce the size of the TAC and thought I might give that a go (though messing about in the code be mighty scary - no, I'm sure it's easy).

I read some time ago in another thread about increasing the brightness of the yellow used to indicate which of the "blips" on your screen you are currently targetting (can anyone help out with that one...I can't find that thread).

One more thought I had regarding the TAC was the light blue line indicating the way to your next waypoint is...well...sky coloured. Can anyone show me how to change that so that it's orange or something not too obtrusive, but visible on bright sunny days if you are climbing, and your screen is mostly blue.

I'm trying not to be picky, I just think these things would help a little bit to make the TAC more useful.

Edited by Check Six

Can't help you much, Steve. Only this: you can take the TAC and move it where you like.

I have moved mine into the left low corner, where it looks like a cockpit instrument, and

you have a dark enough background for the blue line, and the dots.

Olham,

Yes, that's where I moved my TAC to. It seems to me to be the most unobtrusive position for it. Was actually shocked to see a screenshot with it in the upper left corner on a recent thread here.

It's just that if it's a lovely day outside, and you're climbing to gain a bit of height because there are enemy blips on the screen, and you need to keep on line to (maybe) complete your mission, or at least to keep your nose pointed towards home...it just makes the sky blue line hard to see against the sky blue sky.

The yellow selected target also gets a bit hard to see for these old eyes.

Yes, I see - there is definitely a way to change it; I think it's in "view.uisl"

But better ask the experts.

Steve,

Here's the link, I think: Click Here. Looks like OlPaint's your man for advice.

Steve,

Here's the link, I think: Click Here. Looks like OlPaint's your man for advice.

Dej,

I reckon that will do me. They discuss changing the colour of the blips but the parameter is written in plain english, I might have a look to see if there is something like "Waypoint Indicating Line" and mess around with the figures after that.

Thanks

Edited by Check Six

Dej,

I reckon that will do me. They discuss changing the colour of the blips but the parameter is written in plain english, I might have a look to see if there is something like "Waypoint Indicating Line" and mess around with the figures after that.

Thanks

Check Six

A minor update to the TAC Blip color thread referenced above. I decided that I really like the color "Green" for the TargetColor. The color code is 0xFF00FF00. The green in my opinion looks more like the green of a RADAR cockpit display that I am used to seeing in Falcon 4.0 cockpit. Just edit VIEWUI.XML file in a text editor like Notepad.exe. Be sure you backup the file if you don't like the appearance of the TAC display after making the change so you can restore it.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Check Six

A minor update to the TAC Blip color thread referenced above. I decided that I really like the color "Green" for the TargetColor. The color code is 0xFF00FF00. The green in my opinion looks more like the green of a RADAR CRT display that I am used to seeing in Falcon 4.0 cockpit. Just edit VIEWUI.XML file in a text editor like Notepad.exe. Be sure you backup the file if you don't like the appearance of the TAC display after making the change so you can restore it.

OlPaint01

Yes, definitely good advice for anyone to back up the original before you mess with it. I'll see if the smaller version is suitable, then start playing with the colours.

If I can't find an obvious "Waypoint Line Colour" type code, I'll be back.

Just saw, that the devs have tought of such experiments and provided us with at least two files

called "Mastercopy of ..." (Mastercopy of VIEWUI.XML).

OK.

I went over the top with fixed bayonet and attacked this TAC thing. First of all, I altered the size as was discussed in another thread, altering the size to "0.30" as recommended - twice actually as stated. I saved it, closed the file, reopened the file and it reflected the changes I had made. So far, so good.

Then I opted to change the colour of the target blip to a brighter yellow (I will change it to green or orange later). I altered the colour by changing the last six digits of the large hexadecimal number as discussed in this thread

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...mp;#entry312661

I saved, exited, re-opened and checked, and the changes had been made.

Satisfied, I launched OFF and got into a QC. I was disappointed to see that the TAC had not reduced in size appreciably (it may have altered slightly). As I had opted for free flight, I could not select a target. I marked the extremities of the TAC with post-it notes and exited OFF, altered the size parameters to "0.05" and "0.05", leaving the colour change I had made for the target blip. I once again checked that my changes had taken effect, then closed the file. Relaunching OFF, I found that the size had not altered at all. The slightly more intense yellow that was suggested for the target colour MAY have been more intense, I couldn't tell for certain. The next time I try, I'll change it to green like Bullethead suggested.

Can anyone explain why the TAC size didn't alter?

<TacticalDisplay BGIMage="tactical_display.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="512 512" BGScale="0.30" BackColor="0x1f0000FF" Mode="0"/> <TacticalDisplayMetric BGIMage="tactical_display.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="512 512" BGScale="0.30" BackColor="0x1f0000FF" Mode="0"/> <TargetCone/> <TargetConeMetric/> <HUDPipper BGImage="reticule.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="64 64"/> <HUDPipperMetric BGImage="reticule.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="64 64"/> <LabelDisplay BGImage="brackets.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="32 32" ShowRank="0" ShowKills="0" ShowType="0" DrawBrackets="1"/> <LabelDisplayMetric BGImage="brackets.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="32 32"/> </HUD> </Settings>

"QUOTE (Winston DoRight @ Jul 25 2009, 07:06 PM) post_snapback.gifI don't use vista, but it seems you're missing the ViewUI.xml that you need to change. Try a windows search and see if you can find another instance of it on your HD. Maybe someone with Vista can give you the correct path to the file?

VISTA users:

There is a ViewUI.xml file in the actual Over Flanders Fields folder, but that is not the file to change.

Try this pah;

C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields"

From this thread "The amazing shrinking TAC"

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=44848

I'm not using Vista (I'm using XP Pro). Is there another "hidden" version of this file I need to search for/modify in my OS?

PS Couldn't find any parameter that looked like "Waypoint Line" colour. Anyone help with that too? It isn't right at sky blue against a blue sky.

Edited by Check Six

There used to be a great 'TAC' tutorial attached to Frosty's??? (I forget) H2S radar for CFS3 nightfighters. It explained how to alter TAC colours, sizes etc, but it was lost with the melt down.

Say the word and I'll dig through my archives to see if I can find it. I estimate it's 2 computers ago, but it's in the pile somewhere....

Edited by Flyby PC

Can anyone explain why the TAC size didn't alter?

There are numerous copies of viewui and if you don't edit the right one there will be no effect

I believe you need to edit the copy found in c:/documents and settings/(user name)/Application data/microsoft/cfsww1 Over Flanders Fields. Try that.

If that doesn't work, you can experiment with the `4 additional copies of viewui found within the various OFF folders (windoes search will find them for you)

Hi, Check Six

I could change my colours in the "viewui.xml" here:

C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

The colour od the waypoint line changes with your friends' colour; when I changed it from

blue to cyan, the line (and their label names) where also cyan.

Check Six,

Olham's file location was the one that worked for me on the Vista system, but it was a hidden file in a hidden directory. If you can't find that directory, change your options to show hidden files or type the directory address into the address bar directly.

Velvet

Hi, Check Six

I could change my colours in the "viewui.xml" here:

C:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields

The colour od the waypoint line changes with your friends' colour; when I changed it from

blue to cyan, the line (and their label names) where also cyan.

Olham,

So there isn't a parameter for "waypoint Line colour" as such. You are saying that if I change my "friendly aircraft" blip colour, that the waypoint line automatically changes to the same colour. Did I understand that right?

Excellent.

I'll try the path you have suggested first, alter the size of the TAC there, see if that works, then change to colour of the targetted enemy blips, then my friends, and see if the waypoint line changes.

If that doesn't work, I'll do a search for all the instances of that file on my computer, and change them one by one.

Seems as if you wonderful helpful people have solved another problem.

:good:

Thank you very much.

There used to be a great 'TAC' tutorial attached to Frosty's??? (I forget) H2S radar for CFS3 nightfighters. It explained how to alter TAC colours, sizes etc, but it was lost with the melt down.

Say the word and I'll dig through my archives to see if I can find it. I estimate it's 2 computers ago, but it's in the pile somewhere....

Flyby PC,

Thank you for your very generous offer. I think the answers supplied might just do the trick. Hopefully they will, as I know what digging through one's pile of info is way more of a pain in the proverbial than what you're letting on.

OK,

All is well. My TAC is now a good size (I prefer 0.25), and I have altered my targetted enemy colour to green.

But i'm still unable to find where to change the colour of waypoint line (it is still sky blue, a problem on a clear sunny day). Can anyone point out the steps to go through to change it?

OK,

All is well. My TAC is now a good size (I prefer 0.25), and I have altered my targetted enemy colour to green.

But i'm still unable to find where to change the colour of waypoint line (it is still sky blue, a problem on a clear sunny day). Can anyone point out the steps to go through to change it?

Someone suggested (I think it was UncleAl) to superimpose your TAC over the top of your compass. That works great and provides just enough color under the gauge so that the sky-blue waypoint line isn't a problem at all. Course you have to adjust your TAC to be the same size as the compass (I think I used 0.15 or something like that which is perfect.)

Give it a try and see what you think.

Yup, that was Uncle's idea, and a good one. Drag the compass that way, that it's center

is the center of the TAC. That also helps to find, which direction everyone is.

Someone suggested (I think it was UncleAl) to superimpose your TAC over the top of your compass. That works great and provides just enough color under the gauge so that the sky-blue waypoint line isn't a problem at all. Course you have to adjust your TAC to be the same size as the compass (I think I used 0.15 or something like that which is perfect.)

Give it a try and see what you think.

Homeboy,

I don't use my compass at all. I find it unnecessary. You're given the direction to your waypoint or target, and I follow that. The only time a compass is useful (in my opinion) is when you have been pretty badly shot up and need to land quickly. I don't even use the compass then, as what is most important at that time is not compass direction...the most important thing then is if you are on your side of the lines or theirs. I call up the map, and all you need to know is that home is at your 10 o'clock. You check your six to see if anyone is on your tail. If so, land asap in some field, if not call up a friendly aerodrome on the TAC and head for it.

From what I can remember, the compass is kinda opaque, and that might make the waypoint line stand out against a blue sky (it isn't a worry if it's poor weather with grey skies). Does the compass superimposition obscure the info on the TAC...your friends, enemies, waypoint etc?

Well, I might try it at least. It is something that doesn't involve saving a copy of viewui and messing about with code.

It seems to me as if, with an already reduced TAC size, the compass would be too distracting/obscuring. Like I said, I haven't used the compass...does it float back and forth like compasses in "them days" really did? I mean nauseatingly back and forth for a long time before it settles down.

Well...I'll try it. Thanks.

But still...if anyone knows how to change the waypoint line colour, I'd love to hear from you.

I haven't tested it out, but I think the waypoint color is the same as "HumanFriendly" color.