Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Godspeed Henry

They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old.

Age shall not weary them, nor the year's condemn.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning...

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM

Lest we forget

:salute:

Rest In Peace Digger

They are all leaving us, 90 years after the guns of August fell silent on the Western Front... Soon all that will be left will be their pages in history, and the scars left on the land in Flanders. Truth be told, they are the reason why I'm in school to become a Professor of History.

Salute!

"Died in his sleep, age 113."

I hope I'm that lucky one day...

You're killing me today Widow! I just watched the video at the top of the article and now I'm all choked up. Wow, the world could really use more men like Henry today.

A tearful and heartfelt soldier's salute to Henry Allingham. It is men such as these that exemplify what is good and true in all mankind. May we have them amongst us always, and remember them forever.

Lou

A Salut to a veteran, who is now back with his old unit again, but in peace.

A sense of humer, an un-dying love for his one wife, caring for his fellow man, and the wisdom of a century. I can only hope I can be half the decent man he was. God bless you and rest in peace Henry, you earned it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsi...000/8175790.stm

This will cut you all up guys!..this poem was just penned by a Poet Laureat...for Henry!

Grab your Kleenex!!!

You're right, choked me up that did - as if the funeral footage weren't enough to shed a tear over. She can certainly write powerfully, that woman. I think she expressed what I imagine all veterans would wish... to rewind war.

For Henry, and for Harry too and all those souls whom bloody conflict robbed of youth and innocence.

Edited by Dej