Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

BHAH torrent!

I think some people are worrying for nothing. You can also google "windows 8 torrent" and 'appear' to get similar results. :dntknw:

My internet/computer savvy is limited..so if this a stupid question...

How can people d/l BHAH from net if you have to buy a disc from OBD? Is it that someone bought a copy and then lets others d/l off their PC?

If so, can't OBD put some kind of code on the disc, that would make it non replicable? Or something of that nature?

Royce

I think some people are worrying for nothing. You can also google "windows 8 torrent" and 'appear' to get similar results. :dntknw:

It is my hope that you are right. You probably are.

To SCSG1 I believe you posted in this thread and it was deleted?

Well I cannot tell you who deleted it... as I have no idea but...

I said:

"Its only rotten from a user whose perspective is skewed towards feeling

like a thief and then possibly acting like one."

My comment pertains to DRM not the quality of ROF or how shakey its DRM is (I have had issues too and I allude to them) or whether you believe the product is a rip off.

'Its' equals DRM 'Its' does not equal ROF

My response to you in email thus:

Hello Mike,

The line quoted is in reference to peoples feelings about DRM and making

them feel untrustworthy.

It is not about the quality of a product, any product, but about the

imposition of DRM and ones reaction to it- "oh so they think I am a thief

and not trustworthy?" sort of gut wrench reaction - we all experience it in

one way or another.

I would not care to comment at all on the quality of ROF at all and it has

no bearing on the topic in hand.

HTH

WM

SGCSG1 those are general comments there, that's how I read them.

Basically I read it as, if you object to DRM it makes you think that other people MAY think YOU are a thief because you object. i.e. Not you are a thief, but it makes you wary of disagreeing in case people say you are..

Forums are not always the best place to take correct meanings from comments.

The bottom line to me is all flight sim delelopers must aggressively look at ways to protect the software from thieves.

What ever way selected will have some impact which is unfortunate.

Some people will not agree with whatever method is selected which is unfortunate.

The problem is real, IMHO. Protection from thieves must be a high priority for all developers.

Time will tell if ROF's method worked or failed by how long they stay in business. Everyone votes with their pocket books.

Edited by buddye

To SCSG1 I believe you posted in this thread and it was deleted?

Well I cannot tell you who deleted it... as I have no idea but...

I said:

"Its only rotten from a user whose perspective is skewed towards feeling

like a thief and then possibly acting like one."

My comment pertains to DRM not the quality of ROF or how shakey its DRM is (I have had issues too and I allude to them) or whether you believe the product is a rip off.

'Its' equals DRM 'Its' does not equal ROF

My response to you in email thus:

Hello Mike,

The line quoted is in reference to peoples feelings about DRM and making

them feel untrustworthy.

It is not about the quality of a product, any product, but about the

imposition of DRM and ones reaction to it- "oh so they think I am a thief

and not trustworthy?" sort of gut wrench reaction - we all experience it in

one way or another.

I would not care to comment at all on the quality of ROF at all and it has

no bearing on the topic in hand.

HTH

WM

The missing post is nothing, it probably didn't go thru when I hit enter - my internet connection really sucks. Which is one more reason, even I was willing to, I could not play 'ROF' (which I have no interest in anyway, since OFF is so amazing, why bother with another WW1 sim).

The problem with most discussions of DRM is this:

Sooner or later (and usually sooner....much sooner) the people on the 'pro' side of the DRM debate accuse the people on the 'anti' side of the debate of being thieves, thinking like thieves, acting like thieves, etc. That gets old. VERY OLD. I've been a gamer since 'X-Wing' came out in 1993. Not so much anymore. After the starforce fiasco I started taking a VERY pro-active look at potential game purchases DRM. I will not install steam or any other 'run in the background' client. I will not purchase any game that has limited installs. I don't mind one 'authentication' on install. But always connected to the internet? Unless it's a multi-player only game, that's just nuts. Needless to say, I don't spend near the money or time on computer gaming I once did.

When I said 'ROF has a rotten business model' I absolutely believe it. I think if they had a simple, offline disk-check (like MFCS3, for example) they would get MORE sales than they will with this crazy 'you always have to be connected to our server' nonsense. Just my opinion based on my experiences as a gamer, my many gaming friends feeling about this kind of thing, and what I read about this issue. No way to say if I'm right or wrong. But I really believe this intrusive DRM is not going to be a long-term thing. The market just will not stand for it. I hope I'm right. I guess we'll see over time.

Edited by SGCSG1

first off, hello ERIK, i see you are watching this one closely,

secondly, you all did not listen to the gwar, there is no torrent for phase 3,

third, lets stop all the arguing and start flying!!!!

Getting back to the torrent issue.

Consider corrupting the torrent. :wink:

Getting back to the torrent issue.

Consider corrupting the torrent. :wink:

Thanks Guys - predictably this thread is turning into a personal abuse session in e-mail with people taking things as personal insults rather seeing it as a discussion as to why DRM is coming and going to get worse.

I cannot leave a thread open when I have e-mail abuse on a subject.

Thanks

WM

OBD Software