Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Must I mark specific targets for wingmen in dogfight?

Just yesterday, I have clicked "player flight density" (or how it's called) to "high".

Now I have 6-7 wingmen per flight. That should be plenty, I thought, when we

were engaged by 3 S.E.5a.

So I pressed "A" attack. I had no specific enemy craft assigned and so expected

my wingmen to attack the nearest S.E.5a.

Myself, I jumped on one British craft and chased it down to the deck, firing rounds

into it again and again. I pressed "H" help two or three times for my direct wingman.

But I realised, that my flight seemed to circle rather without any orientaton on a

target. And suddenly I got hit. I paused, and checked in outside view.

There was no direct wingman #1 anywere near me. Nor did the other flight members

do any chasing. From three British craft, two were in my neck firing at me.

So my question: do I have to mark specific targets for them, or shouldn't they attack

free, when I press "A"?

When my flight density was lower, I could swear, they did.

So my question: do I have to mark specific targets for them, or shouldn't they attack

free, when I press "A"?

I never assign a target, just press 'A' and my wingmen seem to attack just fine. With a larger flight maybe you need to press 'A' multiple times? You've gotta be flight leader, but I am sure you already know that of course.

When I read the thread topic I thought you would be the guy with the answers. But it's you with the questions. I wonder, have you bought a round of drinks yet for the lads? You've got to let them know your good for a few pints if you want them to save your bacon, Olham.

My experience with wingmen seem to indicate that they are all rather stupid. :haha: This is true for me when joining an elite squadron also. So it could only help to hold their hands and show them each and every specific target to attack.

They seemed to do much better, when I had only small flights with 2 - 4 wingmen. :yu:

You must buy drinks for all of them. Expensive I know. But now you are the big shot Kaiser's Ace.

Just yesterday, I have clicked "player flight density" (or how it's called) to "high".

Now I have 6-7 wingmen per flight. That should be plenty, I thought, when we

were engaged by 3 S.E.5a.

So I pressed "A" attack. I had no specific enemy craft assigned and so expected

my wingmen to attack the nearest S.E.5a.

Myself, I jumped on one British craft and chased it down to the deck, firing rounds

into it again and again. I pressed "H" help two or three times for my direct wingman.

But I realised, that my flight seemed to circle rather without any orientaton on a

target. And suddenly I got hit. I paused, and checked in outside view.

There was no direct wingman #1 anywere near me. Nor did the other flight members

do any chasing. From three British craft, two were in my neck firing at me.

free, when I press "A"?

When my flight density was lower, I could swear, they did.

olham, i think it depends how many enemies are around. i never assign any target to attack. from my experience when i hit only once A, usually about two of my flight attack. when i hit it more often, or every once in a while several times, all of them join the fight sooner or later. sometimes alltogether, sometimes few stay near you. it maybe depends also what ranking your wingmembers have. for me it's ok. might be rookies who of course are rather shocked than willing to fight

So I better not rely on anyone? But in my smaller flights, wingman no.1 was ALWAYS

perfectly reliable...

If and when I remember to issue commands I always hit the key 4,5 or 6 times. I don't trust things. I would not know how to select targets.

I always do if I want full control. Usually A per target (and wait until enemy is within reasonable range before you do. With NO selection of any targets works (two peel off everytime you press A twice) but sometimes perhaps don't forget they are only looking for hand signals.. in a war.. mmm did you say attack, or was it run away that one, oh dear, and now I can't ask as he's gone. Mmmmm

You get the idea ;)

Okay, I get the idea - now I know, why they call me Papa Mahlo!

I always do if I want full control. Usually A per target (and wait until enemy is within reasonable range before you do. With NO selection of any targets works (two peel off everytime you press A twice) but sometimes perhaps don't forget they are only looking for hand signals.. in a war.. mmm did you say attack, or was it run away that one, oh dear, and now I can't ask as he's gone. Mmmmm

You get the idea ;)

that's why i don't bother when every once in a while they don't do what's ordered. that's war an they're "humans". only adds realism :good: .

oh dear, when i imagine how often i misinterpreted signs from the 3rd base coach or didn't understand it at all. now imagine it's about life and death and you're a creagho..., no greenhorn who is more busy with his cockpit with the heart in your pants than any strange sings from the flightleader.