I love the modeling in this game, I flew European Air Wars a lot several years ago. One thing I liked was the P51B, it was one of the hardest planes to fly because of the gun jams.

I don't even have my gun settings on hard but I do seem to have a lot of jams. Not until I looked at this sequence of pics did I realize I was going pretty fast when I shot and was pulling up slightly. Obviously enough to jam a couple guns. At first I thought I had hit debris from the exploding plane but my guns had jammed prior.

img00056.jpg

img00057.jpg

img00058.jpg

img00059.jpg

When I fly the MiG-21, I jam a lot as well.

Last night's mission debrief show that I only shot 25 rounds while my wingmen shot around a 100.

I do recal that I was flying quite fast then as well chasing an F-4.

Could have gotten that bugger if not for the jam.

Edited by jomni

Same for the A-4. I seem to jam the 20mms after just a few quick bursts, so I try to keep the jet level when firing as a precaution. I'll note my speed next time.

I'm interested in learning where are the "Ini's" that govern gun jams, I like playing on hard weapon effectiveness because the enemy aircraft take alot of damage but my twin 20mm M39 cannons of the F-5E jam often >:

I came across it the other day in one of inis, after extraction & studying it for something else. lemme check....

AircraftObject.ini, probably in the ObjectData.cat (in SF2 it's in ObjectData001.cat)

has this line:

[GunData]

AllowUnjamAttempt=FALSE

what I don't know, is there a keystroke for it in SF (prolly not). Can't hurt to look!

The revolver cannons (M-39, etc -ie, rotating breech block) did NOT have any way to unjam in Real Life ™. Gatling-type would just spit out the dud with the caseings

Yep, the AllowUnjamAttempt line is on AircraftObject.ini inside the .cat file.

But AFAIK, there's no keystroke for SF for unjamming guns. Maybe by adding the entry from later series and making the controls .ini read-only?

Good News: It's an easy fix, simply open up the gundata.ini for the offending weapon, and adjust this parameter "Reliability=" set it to 90 or better.

Bad News: You have to perform the edit on a gun by gun basis :yikes:

To unjam a gun insert following line into your controls.ini with notepad editor

UNJAM_GUN=SHIFT+JOYSTICK01_BUTTON03

Unjamming is common in FE and FE2 (there is nothing more anxious than hammering on your guns in the middle of a dogfight).

The default keystroke is UNJAM_GUN=U.

Not sure if it is implemented in SF2, but then none of the SF2-era aircraft had guns which the pilot could fiddle with in flight.

before finding this I thought let's try Unjam_Gun and see if it works, and voila:) guess TK was common sense enough.

just necro grave digging... nevermind me....

UNJAM_GUN=SHIFT+JOYSTICK01_BUTTON03