Sign in to follow this  
Silver wings

MS error message about CFS3

Hi,

I fly a mission and upon returning and getting ready to land a popup appears on the screen That Microsoft has encountered a problem with CFS3 and needs to shut down. I get dropped to the desktop. This has happened a couple of times. My operating system is Win7 RC with everything set to the max. Edit : all patches are installed.

Any ideas about correcting this ?

BTW I love this game. Miles and miles better than ROF. I hope I didn't do wrong by mentioning that. If so delete that statement and you can slap my wrist, the one that types LOL.

Best regards,

Edited by Silver wings

BHAH was tested on win7,,so dont seeing being the os...can you give us systems specs?

and,,have you tried it on lower settings?

Hi,

I fly a mission and upon returning and getting ready to land a popup appears on the screen That Microsoft has encountered a problem with CFS3 and needs to shut down. I get dropped to the desktop. This has happened a couple of times. My operating system is Win7 RC with everything set to the max. Edit : all patches are installed.

Any ideas about correcting this ?

BTW I love this game. Miles and miles better than ROF. I hope I didn't do wrong by mentioning that. If so delete that statement and you can slap my wrist, the one that types LOL.

Best regards,

I've got the same problem on Vista 64. I'm running with:

AMD Athlon x2 5600+

4 and 8 gigs of RAM (I've swapped my RAM out a couple times and still get the issue under any configuration)

Nvidia 9800gtx+

I've tried lowering my settings to 2 all the way across, which I shouldn't have to do tbh, and it didn't help at all.

I also tried running both the OFF manager and CFS3.1 in XP compat mode, and that didn't help.

Someone mentioned a heat issue, but I doubt that this is the problem. Speed fan seems to be indicating elevated temperatures, but still in the normal issue... and the machine has a portable air conditioner blowing directly on it constantly.

Edited by Revthought

Hmmm,,,,,well,,,dont land!..

strange thou,,,2 with the same type of problem.......

wish i had a clue,,but seems you have covered all the bases.......

Hmmm,,,,,well,,,dont land!..

strange thou,,,2 with the same type of problem.......

wish i had a clue,,but seems you have covered all the bases.......

Actually it happens to me more often than just landing, but it happens most in these three scenarios: Take Off, Landing, Hostile Aircraft get within 1000 or so yards.

Well it seems that I'm not the only one with the problem, but that sure is not a consolation to either one of us.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor 6000+ 3.00 Ghz

8Gb Ram

Nvidia GTX 280

850W Corsair Power system

4 fans

Temperature under 30C

Win7

No problem with any other Flight sim

Edit: It only happens in missions. Free flight is fine.

Edited by Silver wings

I sure wish they coulda used another sim for the base program, this problem happened to me a lot with just plain cfs3

Okay, try this... it helped with me considerably.

I rolled back to version 1.0. I'm not even going to *TRY* and patch again until the big patch, which will patch you all the way up to current in one go is released.

Next, I disabled my second display when playing the game, and am running at 1680x1050 resolution instead of the native 1920x1080.

This reduced my crashing to zero tonight flying 4 missions. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it stays "fixed" for me.

Cheers,

-R

Revthought: The same graphics card (nVIDIA 9800GTX+), the same problem - on Vista 32.

wheres that Ron from the windows outreach team, he might be able to lend a hand there

I hope it stays fixed for ya . I'll try a lower resolution but I had the same problem with the original 1.0.

It's interesting that qwar says that the same problem existed in the original CFS3. Thinking about it the popup says that it is shutting down because of an error in CFS3.

I can't relate to that problem since I never flew CFS3 in missions.

I hope it stays fixed for ya . I'll try a lower resolution but I had the same problem with the original 1.0.

It's interesting that qwar says that the same problem existed in the original CFS3. Thinking about it the popup says that it is shutting down because of an error in CFS3.

I can't relate to that problem since I never flew CFS3 in missions.

Well I spoke too soon I guess. I had a scramble mission today, in the rain, and the game invariably crashes on take off, as soon as a bank to the right... kablam. CTD (or rather crash to OFF manager). Setting the graphics to "safe mode" actually made the problem worse. I'd crash as soon as I started my engines. Perhaps this is a video card issue.

-R

I'm merely an XP user, but unless I'm mistaken, when SP1 for VISTA was released, the whiz kids at Mickysoft ELIMINATED XP compatability. Therefore you're attempting to play OFF with a seriously out of date machine. Don't get me wrong, Vista is one Helluva Mess, but the original Vista is a mess X 23

Well I have XP 32bit on another HD and I'm having serious problems getting the game to run correctly there as well. Except there, I don't get the crash message I get tossed back to the mission briefing screen.

And I have other issues on XP as well... like the game will hang on the "World War I is initializing" screen if I've got any of the patches installed past 1.30, after I hear (but cannot see) a tell tell error ding.

I honestly think the problem is elseware, as OFF has been installed flawlessly on thousands of systems mostly XP over the years and now you have problems on a multitude of OS.

What is the one common thing to all your systems ? Monitor . . . set your desktop resolution to maximum, run OFF at that screensize, also be sure to select the proper aspect ratio in Workshop 16:10 for LCD's

I've got another ace up my sleeve, if it's needed. But right now I Thirst

I have my monitor(24") set to full resolution 1920x1200 with Aspect ratio set to 16.10 wide. I have the same problem as Revthought. I notice a common ground with us though, we both have AMD computers pretty closely matched. I hope this is not the problem because I recently finished building this setup and don't have any intention of rebuilding it with the more expensive Intel with similar features. If this goes on I won't fly OFF in missions and continue flying RedBaron in MMP as I'm not interested in being a Kami Kazi pilot LOL

I honestly think the problem is elseware, as OFF has been installed flawlessly on thousands of systems mostly XP over the years and now you have problems on a multitude of OS.

What is the one common thing to all your systems ? Monitor . . . set your desktop resolution to maximum, run OFF at that screensize, also be sure to select the proper aspect ratio in Workshop 16:10 for LCD's

I've got another ace up my sleeve, if it's needed. But right now I Thirst

Setting the aspect ration has helped a bit. Played pretty far into a campaign (I'm cheating btw, I don't let myself die, ;-)). Now I've got a new error! Yippie.

"Error checking claims."

Boo. :D

This is an excellent game when it works well.

Setting the aspect ration has helped a bit. Played pretty far into a campaign (I'm cheating btw, I don't let myself die, ;-)). Now I've got a new error! Yippie.

"Error checking claims."

Boo. :D

This is an excellent game when it works well.

Well I have some bad news. I checked many forums on CFS3 and every one had people with crashing problems in several areas of the game not only the Missions. These forums covered the years 2007 to 2009 and involved Win98, Win XP and Vista. Many fixes were offered but none of them worked for long. I don't think that Microsoft will release a patch to fix this problem even though they are still making money on sales of an old Sim. From what I saw in all those forums everything was tried with no results. Oh well !

Edit: Perhaps I'm wrong someone may have a solution. I hope so as I love this game.

Edited by Silver wings

Go through the optimisations in various others threads and on the FAQ. Shut down other background tasks, do not fly with scenery or terrain on 5 (Not even on high end PC). New NVidia driver is crappo for CFS3 and other games apparently use 1.82. I reverted, WM too.

Memory GPU, CPU will get very well used as OFF stretches CFS3 to the almost max (there's more in there ;)) it will use your PC more than most games.

Again see the FAQ, there's plenty of tips. I had crashing recently couldn't work it out, opened my case to find my super OCZ memory with super duper heat pipes coolers blah has had them simply slipped off! Heatsinks were at 45 degrees angle to the memory! Not even overclocking it.

Got some new memory and all is well.. and yes my other games worked fine mostly.

Food for thought.

Overclocking GPU or CPU? Lower it a tad.

Cheers

Pol