Sign in to follow this  
Lucas Chamorro

Anti Radiation Missiles

Is a question, does someone know how to lock with a HARM? I'm using the Project One stock (no patches because it crashes).

If you know can you tell me please?

Thanks.

Is a question, does someone know how to lock with a HARM? I'm using the Project One stock (no patches because it crashes).

Thanks.

There are more than likely some things you need to update to keep your game from crashing. As far as the HARM is concerned It does not require a "lock" it is a point towards the RADAR and shoot. Find the RADAR that is active by looking at your RWR then target it by using the ground target key then point your plane towards it then fire the HARM Edited by Viper6

Thanks.

You can only run the latest patch with the correct version of Direct X 9 - assuming your system can handle the later game that is

You can only run the latest patch with the correct version of Direct X 9 - assuming your system can handle the later game that is

I think it can handle, It runs 4 cores and 4GB or RAM And one of Video RAM. Does the lastest patch support DirectX 10 or only 9?

Thanks both for your replies

i think for ur game it only support dx9 even though u patch it.

like wht viper said is true, it doesnt need a lock to aim at the target. it will just ride at the signal of the SAM radar to hit it.

BUMP

does the enemy radar have to be locked on to you, or do you just have to be able to pick it up with your RWR? Will ARMs work against Air Defense Radars (Bar Lock) as well as SAM radars (Fan Song)?

It doesn't have to be locked onto you in particular, just transmitting and therefore it should be on the RWR. I've seen them work against all types of radars as well as radar-equipped units like Shilkas.

The best way to make them work, at least for me, is to make them illuminate you. Turn ecm on for a second so you call their attention, once your rwr gets mad, loose the ARM, and let him paint you so the ARM has a clear signal to home into. It just a matter of deciding when to break in order to avoid missile, but it wouldn´t help as much to your missile. Perhaps the ARM are able to get the target once their signal is not as good if they already locked onto it, but it´s more entertaining if you bet the plane to the chicken-SAM game

Be aware when using ARM's that if you have 2 sites operating close together e.g. a Fansong with a Shilka parked next to it your ARM might not hit either... Also I have found that the ARM's go for the nearest emitter...

Also if you got enough to do it, fire one, slow down, and if it picks off one, fire another to get the other. I'd use common sense though, if you pick off a Sidenet and a Shilka is there, may not be worth the missile.

Is there a tutorial anywhere of getting full use out of a visual RWR like the sort on the F-4J, where it just has lines, no icons?

I've searched but this thread is the closest to the topic that I've found.

Basically I can tell which general direction the pinging RADAR is pinging from, but I've yet to be able to actually use it as a guide to locat these things. For all I know pointing in that direction and firing an ARM, I could be right over top of it, or miles and miles out, meaning the missile will be wasted.

I like using the longer ranged ARM'S combined with higher altitudes if the target zone has more than a few radars. most of the time i use terrain masking to hide me til im close enough to clear out a few radars. I also equip some of my flight with ARM's. and since some of the target zones have lots of sam sites and radar i upgraded all my F-4's with the best RWR that they can carry as well as good internal jamming just to give my flight a fighting chance. better RWR means a better chance to locate and defeat the radar

some info about the real thing:

Shrike was integrated into the F-4/A-4/A-7 avionics, and the glidescope needles on the aircrafts ADI (Attitude Direction Indicator ) instrument

indicated the offset of the radar signal source

So the pilot flew the aircraft ( with Shrike mode selected ) to center the needles to point the Shrike at the radar signal source ( the vertical glidescop needle gave commands for a loft delivery , iirc)

Sometime around 1970 or so there was a new display, called Enhanced Shrike Display or something like that which used the aircrafts radar scope to

display radar source offset, range etc

Thats what I could gather from some weapon delivery manuals ( old, declassified )