I noticed this in various planes downloadable for Sf2

in the airplane folder i.e B-52G there are the skin folder. In each folder a decal file that makes its call to the D director in each folder. so fa so good.

In the airplane package there is always thoguh a DECALS folder, with subfodler related to the skin inclide din the abaovementioned specific airplane folder. inside each of this subfolders there is a D directory whose content is exactly the same of the analoghe D folder contained in the skins folder in the specific aircraft folder.

so basically trough the decals ini the game (1st gen) calls for the D directort in the relative skin folder. I understand it is the same in gen 2. What is the end therefore for the extra folder of decals?

Reason is ask is double. A.understanding how gen 2 works. B. retrocomatibilty, sinc eI am not ready to take the plunge yet, mostly ebcaus eI am way from home and I ahve only gen 1 in the laptop at the moment.

The redundant D folder inside the skin folder can be deleted. The game only looks for decals when placed inside the Decals/XXX/XXX directory.

It's interesting to note that stock SF2 series aircraft do not use the Decals/XXX/XXX format - just like the old series in fact.

Adding decals in extra folders for aircraft type and for each individual skin is a good way to get the size of your installs up :wink: . For example, if you use an aircraft identication letter (e.g. like the stock RAF_Letter) you have to put it into every decals folder that requires it! So instead of having 26 decals you'd need 52 or 78 or 104 just for one aircraft type! Then you might have ten such aircraft asking for that type of decal :blink: !

BTW decals.ini's will quite happily work in a hybrid way going straight to a general Decals folder or to a Decals/XXX/XXX folder.

BTW decals.ini's will quite happily work in a hybrid way going straight to a general Decals folder or to a Decals/XXX/XXX folder.

Even in the old series?

The redundant D folder inside the skin folder can be deleted. The game only looks for decals when placed inside the Decals/XXX/XXX directory.

So basically the whole entry in the decals.ini that specificies the path for the decals is useless? And it will look for a skin folder ALWAYS in the decals folder?

this is from the decals.ini of the B25 phase V

FilenameFormat=B-52H_PV/23BS/blksig

In the old series it will look in the b-52H_pv folder and in the 23BS folder. So if I understand well in the GEN 2 series is it will ignore any decals in the 23BS folder contained in the aircraft folder, and it will look for the 23BS folder under the B-52H_PV fodle in the external decals fodler instead?

On the other hand is not useless. Simpliefies incredably installingSF2 planes versions in SF1

Edited by Canadair

So if I understand well in the GEN 2 series is it will ignore any decals in the 23BS folder contained in the aircraft folder, and it will look for the 23BS folder under the B-52H_PV folder in the external decals folder instead?

Yes. I have a habit of leaving those extra files in there for god knows why.

It's interesting to note that stock SF2 series aircraft do not use the Decals/XXX/XXX format - just like the old series in fact.

Adding decals in extra folders for aircraft type and for each individual skin is a good way to get the size of your installs up :wink: . For example, if you use an aircraft identication letter (e.g. like the stock RAF_Letter) you have to put it into every decals folder that requires it! So instead of having 26 decals you'd need 52 or 78 or 104 just for one aircraft type! Then you might have ten such aircraft asking for that type of decal :blink: !

This is true. By going generic on some decals, you can and will cut down on your install size by re-using them by multiple skins. But this only works for common decals like insignia or some tail markings and numbers. When you start doing specific serial numbers for unit aircraft, you are back to doing multiple folders within the DECAL main directory.

Speaking of decals/numbers, etc... Any notice that once again nearly all of the SF2V USN aircraft are missing their BuNos for the tail? Same problem that the F-4M and Hunters have in SF2E.

i deleted mine to clear up some space thinkin evry little bit helps. flew a mission and when i got back to home plate found a bunch of white F-111's on the ramp. hurried up and restored from the recycle bin and haven't had the prob since.not the a/c in flight just he ones parked. was still enough to make me put it back

Edited by daddyairplanes

Well they help a lot for those unable to take the plunge yet, Dave like me. Actualyl thanks a lot. Leave them please