Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Naval 9 Camel

Here's a few pics of one of the Naval 9 Sopwith Camels I've been working on. There are only 4 that there are pictures of (I think). I'm doing all 4 and I'll add some generic Camels to go along. Blue noses, wheel discs, tails, what ever. Mix'em up. If anyone has any info or pics of any Naval 9 Camels, hook me up. Pics that arent readily available on the internet that is. I dont have any Camel books yet.

The Roundels are a bit dark for this skin. I might paint them on to get the right effect and color. I could add some weathering that way. Southside bucky asked me to do these months ago. I finally got to them. Next will be a whole bunch of Jasta 5 Albatros D.III's, D.V's and D.Va's. I love their colors and markings :good: . Some will be pretty hard thats for sure. Some were done a couple of years agoby other people. I would like to redo them as well so all colors will look alike. Just waiting for my Jasta 5 books :wink:

Edited by quack74

That's really most excellent, Quack!

It's been a long day and I've gotta get some shuteye now, but I'll have a look for some other jazzy Naval 9's tomorrow.

If it's not too much trouble it'd be helpful if you can refer me to the other three you're gonna do.

Here is another. Still might have to paint on the insignia's though. Not as transparent as I would like. I did lighten up the blue a bit on the Roundels and tail. All the colors will be touched up when they're all done. Shades of blue are still a little off. Here are some pics.

Edited by quack74

Finally! Some colour for our Camel buses!!! They look great, thank you.

I'm always envious of my opponents' ability to personalize their crates.

Edited by B Bandy RFC

'Scuse the delay getting back to you, Quack.

I've been through all my Naval 9 photos, but it seems the only useful ones are of the four machines you're already doing.

Looking forward to seeing the finished set. :yes:

Incidentally, if its any use, the books I consulted were:

'British Aviation Squadron Markings of WWI', by Les Rogers.

'Sopwith Camel Squadrons', by Les Rogers.

'Sopwith Camel King of Combat', by Chaz Bowyer.

Windsock Datafile No.26: 'Sopwith Camel', by J.M. Bruce.

Vintage Aviation Fotofax: 'Sopwith Camel', by J.M. Bruce.

'Sopwith Camel Aces of WWI', by Norman Franks.

Edited by Southside Bucky

Here is another one. Only one more to do. The Roundels will be touched up when all four planes are done.

They look outstanding (as usual), look forward to their release. :good:

They look outstanding (as usual), look forward to their release. :good:

Me too ! :i-m_so_happy:

Tremendous job, quack74

Here they are. All four. Just need to tweak them a little bit more. I'll post them very soon. Glad you all like'em.

Before I release these Naval 9 skins, can someone confirm for me if I should use the 110 or 130 Camels. I know these markings were used in late 1917 to early 1918. Not sure when the 130 came into play.

Also the Camel with the circles might have a little problem with the fuselage circle. At the point where the side fuselage meets the turtle deck just aft of the brown wood, the model seems to overlap a bit at the corners (right where the template gets spliced) . It can be seen in the below photos on the forward circle where the side fuselage meets the curved upper decking. It's really not that noticable, but it's driving me nuts :crazy: . If it's cool with everyone else, I think I'll leave it. It's seems to be a distortion point on the template. Too hard to fix. I should say too time consuming :shok:

Edited by quack74

9 (Naval) Sqn used 130 hp Clerget engines till December '17. They then flew 150hp Bentley's till February '18, then reverted back to Clerget's for six weeks, then in March, changed back to Bentley's till the end of the War...:wacko:

In short,...use the 130hp! :yes:

Is there a download section here or do I have to wait? I see there is a change goin on here again. I was going to post the Naval 9 Camels, but I dont see a download section. I guess it's in the works. Oh well I'll be back.

I found a really nice Loading Screen for your great artwork::yikes:

camelf1loading.jpg

Best regards

The Naval 9 Camels are now in the Download section. I added 2 more to the original 4 that carry the same general markins. One has an aluminum cowel and the other a blue. Just to add to flight. I'm sure that Naval 9 had more than 4 colorful Camels. Hope everyone enjoys'em.

these are the other 2.