Sign in to follow this  
mikewhl

If 3rd Wire wants SF:P1 to "Take Off"

For SF:P1 to get wide spread flight sim communitiy{however you spell that}support, one should look at what M$ did with it's flight sims. And that is open ended sim with low cost tools. As it stands right now (with only 3DS Max as a model tool), many people love the game, and ideal behind it, but no way to afford a program like 3DS Max (me for one). I've made a number of aircraft for CFS2, and Iam working on my first for CFS3 with Gmax. I also use FSDv2, at a cost of around $50, I can afford that, not the hundreds for 3DS Max. I would venture to guess that FS2000, CFS2, and FS2002, are the most widely supported sims out there. More support, equals more sales, equals more support. This game is great, and currently the only one out there for this era. It can become a huge player in the sim world, only if the it can reach the masses at a resonable cost for addon tools.

A detailed SDK is also a good bet. As you may have noticed, us simmers LOVE to tweak our sims, mod our aircraft, etc........

The ONLY reason that CFS2 has been on my HDD for 2 years, is because of addons, tweaks, and stuff made by modders.

I want this sim to be all it can be! And us tweakers and modders will see to that! Just make sure we have the tools to do so!

Just a thought.

Mike Wholaver

Guest Ranger332

but ya have to be carful as the very things you mentioned are the wayy ppl started cheats in the game

Your gona have cheaters no matter what ya do. You have to identifiy them and not play em.

Mike

Guest Ranger332

Yes but the more open a game is the more it happenes if they open up SFP1 any more they will have to do as Deltaforce did use another huge chunk of the game to add an anticheat program

and as far as id them thats not as easy as you think example the game Lighting 3 by nova was ruiened by hard top detect cheats. meny ppl here now are here due to that fact

I see the point in your post, but the difference in price is, imho, why combat flight sim looks cartoonish. the game is decent, but it looks like a cartoon. I think that you avoid this fake look by using the best software for the job, regardless of price. (which sucks for guys like us)

I've heard that there is going to be a way to use Gmax for SFP1, but this is only rumor, and I'm definately not the authority on modding/skinning, so don't quote me on that. But I've read about it at sim hq. I'll try to find the post and make a link to it here for you if you are interested

All noted, and good pionts. I was just thinking of ways to get more simmers into THIS game. And for 3rd Wire to make some money, and give us more sims in this era. :wink:

Dont forget, it's supporting the masses that drive sales.

As far as cheating go's. I for one don't unstand it. What's the fun of winning, if you cheat? It seems so pointless. But that's me.

Mike

Well,

3DS Max is an expensive bit of software. However I take a little different look at it. For someone to afford that software, there must be a reason. That reason is usually career related like "I'm in the graphics professions". That software is also extremely difficult to master. Thus those that do have it are probably using it on a daily basis and possible have so for several years. They have become experienced to the point of putting out new aircraft in a short time. And when I say short, let's ask those that have been modelling aircraft. I don't thank there's a single aircraft that has taken less then 6 months to produce, and that's for an experienced artist.

The final product that they produce is incredibly accurate from the radome to the tail nav light. Yes I think it would be great if GMAX was supported for the amatures that want to install a ground object or two, but I would tend to leave the aircraft to the best software and experienced modellers that enjoy flight sims.

I'm greatful to those that extend their nights to bring us new planes.

Well Fates I guess I can see your point. But, also thats the biggest line of crap I've heard at this forum. You just lumped a whole lota "hobbiest", into one group of no talent guys ,who couldnt produce a good 3D model if their life depended on it! All because you dont do something for a "living", does not mean you can not do a good job at something. I've seen some 3d model made by a "hobbiest", that put some "professionals" to shame. The models that came OTB for SF:P1 are very well done indeed, BUT there are folks out there that can, and will do just a good a job as can be done, given the chance. 3DS Max is a great tool, and is tough to use for sure, but if I worked on it for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, it surely wouldn't be 6 months per model, it's not that hard to use. And if you think a model is crap(and I've seen some bad ones), you dont download it. Pretty simple

Not to offend, but you got my goat with that one! :x

Mike

Is someone missing a goat?

I'm not offended at all MW, it's just that we have different opinions. However I do believe that many of our opinions intersect, for instance:

Yes, I would like to see 3DsMAx lower their prices, and if they don't, then maybe a Gmax to 3Ds converter.

Yes, I would like to see more simmers playing SFP1

Yes, I would like to see SFP2 (Meaning the sim does well and TK makes another)

Just my opinion, sorry

Guest Ranger332

If you think fates was full of it look it the current list from SKW its been of as long at SFP! has gone gold

this is work that is beeing done by the ppl that made the game

1. A i r c r a f t

United States

Republic F-105 Thunderchief - by Armourdave

Douglas F4D Skyray - by Armourdave

Vought F7U-3 Cutlass - by Armourdave

Republic P-47Q/XP-72 - by Armourdave

Chance-Vought F-8 Crusader - by Armourdave

Northrop F-5A Freedom Fighter/Tiger - by Armourdave

Convair F-102 Delta Dagger - by Lud von Pipper

North American YF-107 - by Fleet Defender

Grumman F11-F1 Tiger - by Fleet Defender

McDonnell F-101 Voodoo - by Lud von Pipper

United Kingdom

Hawker Hunter- by Armourdave

English Electric Lightning F6 - by Lud von Pipper

Blackburn Buccaneer - by Lud von Pipper

USSR

MiG-15 - by Armourdave

MiG-21 cockpit - by Armourdave

Sukhoi Su-17 Fitter - by Armourdave

Sweden

Saab J-35F Draken - by Lud von Pipper

Saab JA37 Viggen - by Swede

Italy

Fiat G.91R - by Lud von Pipper

2. C a m p a i g n s

"Operation Tainted Cigar" - a campaign outline provided by Gecko6

"Broken Arrow" - a campaign outline provided by Denzil

"Star Wars Canyon" - a campaign outline provided by Denzil

This is also why it takes so long

Rating Scheme

Appearance: 1 - 10

How well the object represents the real life object. Textures, skins, and decals also play a role in the rating.

Flight Model (Flight Characteristics): 1 - 10

This pertains to Aircraft since it is the only thing that will be controlled by human players. This will give you an idea about how the plane will handle in comparison to real-life performance numbers and overall "feel" of the aircraft, to the best of our knowledge. We believe flight model accuracy is obtained through both of these, and those criteria will be ponderated consequently.

Air-to-Air Mission: 1 – 10

This compares how well the aircraft will perform in the dogfight role. This will be based on the weapons capabilities, maneuverability, and loiter time.

Air to Ground Mission: 1 – 10

This compares how well the aircraft will perform in the mud mover role. This will be based on the weapons capabilities, maneuverability, and loiter time. Also the ability to take abuse and remain in flight.

Overall Rating: 1 – 10

1 – 6 Poor

6 – 7 Average

7 – 8.5 Good

8.5 – 10 Excellent

Excellent rated items will have the Skunk Works Seal of Approval on the downloads page!

Checkout the Skunkworks page linked in this site

Although 3DSMAX does look great, so does GMAXand FSDSv2. Go to any FS2002 Screenshot forum and just have a look.

I wish SF:P1 supported GMAX and FSDSv2 aircraft, I have a group of friends who would love to design some aircraft for this game....and they are VERY good modelers (I can't model a box! LOL). But they can't afford MAX....like most people I'd imagine.

It's a shame that a sim as great as this and as open ended as this is limited by the simple fact that the model design tool is just flat out to expensive for most of us. :(

Shane

Dammit Fates, always started something somewhere arent ya!!! :D