Sign in to follow this  
Broadside uda Barn

hat switch views

I cant seem to figure out what to do to get my hat views working. Whenever I press my hat switch back, forward, whereever, I just see a brief splash of white triangles and then nothing.

I have trackIR 5 which works great, but sometimes I'd just like to use the hat switch POV.

the controlls have POV listed as the hat switch....

Is there a command or way to get this working?

thanks!

Broadside,

I use a Saitek X-52 and TrackIR 5. I sometimes like to check my attitude using Chase view. So I have mapped Virtual Cockpit to "V" (you need to assign Virtual Cockpit of course, as by default it's not assigned). I then have mapped on my upper hat switch...

Up is virtual cockpit (ie TrackIR view)

Down is Chase View (Ctrl+F4)

Left is toggle TAC range (Ctrl+Shift+T)

Right - well, I TRIED to map Player/Target View, but I couldn't find a command for this (help anyone? Do I need to assign it to an unused key? - I can't see how this is possible, as it is a "cycle view" thing)

I have F12 (centre TrackIR) mapped on my joystick so I can reset it when I enter TrackIR (Virtual Cockpit) and also F4 (because I also use Player/Target view a lot).

"Next Target" is of immense value in OFF - when confronted by enemies on my TAC, I target the enemy using TAB (mapped onto my joystick Toggle 1). I then hit pause and cycle through views until I get Player/Target View. This shows you a pic of your targetted enemy. Very useful to know if it's a two-seater or a scout. If you can see a rear view of him, that means of course, he is headed straight for you. You can see if he is interested or busy doing his job.

This affects your attack strategy (or escape strategy if you are considering escape) - attack from the sun, underneath etc.

The next thing to do is cycle through "Next Target" (TAB). The reason? COUNT THEM! You hit TAB originally, then Player/Target View. That shows you Enemy No 1. TAB again, that's 2, then another etc. until you are presented with a rear view of your aircraft. That gives you a few things. One...how many aircraft you're up against. Two...what type of aircraft they are (fighters, bombers, slower than you, faster than you, Albatross, Fokker etc). There may appear to be only one "blip" on your TAC, but there may be a flight of fighters directly overhead of the bombers, that will show up as one blip. So cycling through TAB is, I find, very beneficial.

Keep an eye on your TAC whilst you're doing this. There might be 4 Fokkers in one flight, or two flights of two Fokkers. So look to see which blip you have targetted. The blip directly to your 12 o'clock could be two-seaters, the blip at your 4 o'clock could be 6 fighters etc. The blip at your 11 o'clock could be 4 friendly fighters approaching the two-seaters in front of you. So you should consider either assisting, or concentrating on avoiding the enemy fighters.

If my situational awareness has been distracted by tunnel vision of my last attack, I can pause and cycle through views until I get to "Spot View", and then I take a good look around using my main hat switch, get my bearings again, ascertain who my biggest threat/next target is.

I know this is cheating...pausing before and during combat, but it helps me in my learning curve, improving my situational awareness. One day, I'll get to fly DiD with no HUD, no Z, no TAC, no Labels etc...but in the meantime, I'm learning a LOT using these tactics.

You can't have Trackir AND the Hat switch, it's one or the other. Depending on IF you use a program, to MAP your joystick. You might enjoy south as Virtual Cockpit, and North as an exterior view. If you Map thru OFF, movement is Virtual Cockpit period. And before anybody asks . . . Mouse look is not in OFF

Hmmm I have both working on my setup?? CH HOTAS using control manager to program the various buttons (maybe it because I suspend trackir (F9) when using hat??)

My question would be, why do you wish to suspend Trackir in favor of the hat switch ?

It reminds me somehow of the story of the guy who ran the Stop Sign whilst driving his car, when the cop caught him, he said why did you run that Stop Sign?

The Driver then replied "But I slowed down, and looked both ways"

At which point the cop started to rythmetically bang his nightstick on the driver's head

After a while it started to hurt, and the driver told the cop to stop

The cop replied: "should I slow down, or should I stop

:rofl: I suspend trackir when I am on a target and want to get into "gun view" because I find I move my head too much while in combat also on takeoff I suspend it while getting airborne but want to look around for wingmen so use hat then. I suppose after time has elapsed I may never suspend trackir but I am still getting used to it and "old" habits die hard :biggrin:

:rofl: I suspend trackir when I am on a target and want to get into "gun view" because I find I move my head too much while in combat also on takeoff I suspend it while getting airborne but want to look around for wingmen so use hat then. I suppose after time has elapsed I may never suspend trackir but I am still getting used to it and "old" habits die hard :biggrin:

Big Jim,

Thanks for sharing your approach to suspending TrackIR to reduce head movement and allow use of the hat switch. Useful info, since my CH controllers have so many hats to program.

FYI, you can also reduce head movement by mapping the TrackIR "Precision" hotkey to one of your joystick buttons. Holding your head still while shooting definitely increases your kill rate.

Cheers

Edited by BirdDogICT

You will find if you utilize one of your 'Buttons' for Trackir 'Center' you will no longer find a need for hatswitch selections

Check out Sticky OFF Tips & Cheats #8 in the Knowledge Base

Reading them all, wouldn't be a total waste of time . :wink:

Ahhh but I have done Dear Boy and it just doesn't get what I desire (that of course is what makes horse races :biggrin: )

Dual Mapping can save a JS button

I mapped both TIR Recenter and cfs3 Virtual Cockpit View to the same JS Button

There's no conflict so they both work simultaniously

Use another button for Next View

So no matter what view I've selected, 1 click pops up VC View, looking straight down the gunsights

So no matter what view I've selected, 1 click pops up VC View, looking straight down the gunsights

I do the same Duce. Works all natural like.

Duce,

Thanks for that. You're a bloody genius mate. I just re-mapped my joystick. Great idea. Previously had it mapped to two buttons, Now on one.

(It didn't make a huge difference to me that it might make to some. I have a Saitek X52, and as such have HEAPS of buttons, toggles etc to program, plus a programmable gaming keyboard, so i got 5 fire buttons, two hat switches three triggers and six toggles on my joystick, a mouse pointer and click, a slider potentiometer, two rotating trim devices, a hat switch a clutch button and one other button on my throttle. plus 18 programmable keys on my keyboard). Those that have only two or three programmable buttons will LOVE this idea, as do I. Brilliant! Thank you again.

I also got the player/target view working great now too.

But I reset my CFS3 in the workshop, so I need to get back in to viewui file and resize my TAC, recolour the targetted enemy, and dump my compass overboard from my HUD.

Thanks 6, this little gang here has a lot of great ideas

I've learned much more than I've proposed

My JS set-up is a little weird

I had an X52 Pro but I had lot of problems due to he lack of FFB

Flying was quite unstble and gun accuracy was poor ...probably me not the stick

Still use the X52 Throttle but now I have a MS Sidewinder Stick

This stick is a macho FFB beast :aggressive: ...I love it

X52 Throttle has a Thumb Slider that works great as mixture control

One key on TrackIR is "precision" - when you press that (I have it on my thumb button),

it appears as if your body and neck stiffen up; you can't move quickly anymore, but can

shoot better. Don't forget to release it, when you want to check your six.

The shooting with TrackIR on is mostly a problem with the very agile aircraft like the

Dr.1 - in my Albatros, it works fine.