Sign in to follow this  
Herr Prop-Wasche

HPWFB Damage Model Variety Pack Now Available!

Dear friends,

Fortiesboy and I are proud to present what I believe to be our best damage model yet! The Herr Prop-Wasche and Fortiesboy Damage Model Variety Pack (DMVP) is intended to be used as an alternative campaign damage model to any other currently existing damage model already released either by OBD or by any other third party. Our damage model is currently composed of a combination of four existing damage models, and is therefore actually four DMs in one: OBD's original "hardcore" DM, Fortiesboy's DM, my Intermediate Damage Model 2.2, and a hybrid DM consisting of a combination of OBD's hardcore DM and the threshold values from my IDM!

This new damage model takes advantage of the ability of BHaH to automatically use multiple skins for aircraft of the same type so that aces and different flights and squadrons flying the same aircraft type can be identified. Now, using our DMVP, aircraft of the same type will be assigned slightly different damage models, meaning that the human player will observe a much wider variety of damage effects to the AI aircraft than was previously thought possible. Human players should also notice that damage to their own aircraft should become more visible, with more varied damage effects than currently seen using only the hardcore model.

The DMVP is meant to be used primarily with the full BHaH campaign. However, players who fly mainly QC are also invited to download this mod, as it also contains a slightly modified version of HPW's Intermediate Damage Model 2.2 for QC. Users who prefer to use a different damage model for QC battles may simply apply the appropriate QC damage mod for use in QC without harming their installation of the DMVP for use in the campaign.

Please be sure to read the installation instructions contained in the download file because a small second step is required in order to insure that the mod is installed properly. I hope that the addition of this second step will permit users to use this mod after OBD releases their next patch, which most likely will contain a revised "official" hardcore damage model. However, until the next patch is released, I cannot guarantee that the DMVP will work with the new patch.

Finally, I recommend that users who decide to use this mod change their gun accuracy settings in Workshop to "less accurate." This setting effects both the human player and the AI, but seems to reduce the "dead-eye Dick" accuracy of the AI in campaign and allows for (I hope) longer and more realistic air battles.

Fortiesboy and I hope that everyone will enjoy this mod and find it to be the most realistic and enjoyable damage model yet! Please direct any questions or comments regarding the use of this mod either to me or Fortiesboy on this thread. To download the HPWFB DMVP, simply follow this link: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=45404

Hi,

I almost shudder to mention it, but....

Have you had a response from anyone in the MP crowd?

Would like to try it but not sure if I can do it. could ya give step by step instructions. I am figure Id screw it up without help. :blink:

My questions:

1. can it be changed back, if I wouldn't like it (and how)?

2. does it alter the endurance of craft (do they last longer or shorter)?

Carrick--

Installation is easy, IMO. 1) Download the mod. 2) Left click to open the zip file. 3) Click on the HPWFB readme file for complete installation instructions.

Olham--

1. You can easily change back to the normal or hardcore DM provided by OBD by running the appropriate DM file available from their website (you probably downloaded it already).

2. It's hard to say whether a particular aircraft will last longer or not in a dogfight because there are so many variables involved. However, the mod is designed so that aircraft will perform with more variety when hit than in any of the other damage models. Some may be tougher, others may be easier. In general, if main guns in Workshop are set to "normal", most of the aircraft in the new mod will probably be slightly easier to down than in the hardcore DM. If they become too easy to damage, try setting main guns in Workshop to "less accurate."

Good news! From looking in the new DM files for the just released patch, it appears that 3rd party DM mods will still work with the new patch! I'm not positive about MP, but it should still work even with alternative mods such as Fortiesboy's or myself.

Compared to the previous "hardcore" DM, there are some noticeable changes to the DM in the new patch. However, the differences are less apparent when compared to either FB's or my own DMs, IMHO. I'm not yet at liberty to describe these changes until I get permission from Pol or Winder, but the new DM does seem, along with several other changes, to also have implemented at least some of the changes FB and I have made in our own mods. Many people will obviously prefer the new official DM, but I think there is still plenty of room for people to enjoy the other DMs, too. So, my advice is to try the new official DM first, and then load any of the other DMs and compare them with the new patch. Who knows, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Anyone tried these DM after patching up to 1.32c - please report!

Hello Herr P-W

I am eager to test your DMVP on my 1.32c install. I have carefully read the HPWFBReadMe. I failed to find instructions how to return to the Stock DM if I discover that I do not want to continue using your alternate DM. We all know that WM has eliminated the Normal and Hard DM mods when he published Version 1.32 patch.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Glad to hear people are still interested in trying the HPWFB variety pack. I've had limited time since releasing, so I haven't had much chance to check it out in the campaign so I'm very interested in hearing your feedback.

Re uninstalling and rolling back to the stock DM. Unfortunately, it seems that to reinstall OBD's DM you will have to reapply the superpatch and hot-fix, as the mini-updates do not appear to include any of the aircraft files (OBD please correct me if I am wrong).

The only other alternative I can think of is to first back up your aircraft folder by copying and pasting it to another drive before installing the VDM. A faster, but more complicated procedure would be to simply copy all of the stock xdp files to another location before installing the VDM, and then repasting the stock files back into the aircraft folder if you wish to go back to the stock DM. I may be able to write a batch program to do this automatically but I don't have a time table for when I might be able to do that.

Just installed the mod and will give it a try.I'll feed back later.

Herr P-W

I get your drift... I need to construct a "backup" AIRCRAFT folder with all the directories for each aircraft that will hold just the .xdp file specific to each aircraft in each folder of WM's default DM. Then I install your DMVP mod and followed by a delete of all the .bdp files in each specific aircraft folder. OFF will reconstruct all the .bdp files over again at launch. I then test your DMVP to my heart's content. To recover WM's DM, I copy my "backup" AIRCRAFT folder back into OFF and answer YES to Overwrite files. Then I delete all the .bdp files and let OFF reconstruct the .bdp files at relaunch. Correct?

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Just finished a mission with the new damage pack,all seemed to go very well.Even though i risked me new pilot to try it out.

Got shot up a bit ( Pic's in screen shots ) the bullet holes look great.Also the plane was a right handful to get back,loss loads of power and could only just manage 400ft all the way back over German lines,it felt like you had to keep pull back on the stick just to keep what altitude i had.So from me it's a big thumbs up.Thank you guy's :good::good::good:

So you used it after installing the 1.32c Minipatch, RedDog?

So you used it after installing the 1.32c Minipatch, RedDog?

Yes mate no probs....

OlPaint--sounds like you are on the right track. Safest bet is to backup the entire aircraft folder, even though you really only need the xdp files.

I tried all day to create a batch file to save and reinstall the stock xdp's, but I have run into several snags due to my limited knowledge of DOS commands. Anybody out there who can help me out?

Red-Dog,

Glad you like it so far! I've got some ideas for incorporating some of the features of the new OBD DM into the mod as well. I think there may be a way to show more bullet strike and fabric damage.

You could also use the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler, then you could apply or unapply the HPWFP Damage Model Variety Pack in just one click with NO permanent changes to the original files !!!!

Hello PR

I have been trying to figure out how to use the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler in FE as well as OFF. Could you point me to a tutorial...Where do the various files go? Does the Mod Enabler install into the main game folder or in the specific folder where the mod installs. Inquring minds what to know... :blink:

Hello Herr P-W

I am absolutely bowled over with the damage that I am seeing now. I installed DMVP over version 1.32d with no problems. Outstanding Views is all I can say. I may never go back to WM's default DM. Please keep tweaking the DMVP mod for us. We all tip our hats to you and FourtiesBoy for your combined efforts. :good:

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Panama Red got there before me...JSGME is a super program.

Aim the installation of JSGME at the root folder (i.e "CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields").

Run the program (that will set up the Mods folder and get it ready) and then close it.

Extract the downloaded zip file into the Mods folder - it will create a folder "HPWFB1_0" with subfolder "Aircraft")

Open JSGME again.

The box "Available" will show the mod.

Move it across to Activated by highlighting and then ">"

Good to go.

To remove it, use the "<" button. OFF will restored to vanilla.

At least, that is the theory, I'm just doing it now!

Just a super bit of software. I use it for all modded games.

And I forgot...finally run the "deletebdps.bat" file in the "CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields" main folder...NOT the one in the MODS/HPWFB1_0 folder.

Looks to work for me...thanks so much for the new DM !!!!

This utility was originally designed for Silent Hunter III, but I have not found a game yet that it will not work with. You just need to know the game's file structure enough and location of the files to know how to set up your mod (unless the mod designer has already done that for you, like I do for all my mods that I post).

==Using the Generic Mod Enabler==

1. Ensure that you have a clean, unmodded installation of your game, preferably with the latest patch(es) installed. If you are already running a prior version of the Generic Mod Enabler, disable all enabled mods.

2. Install the Generic Mod Enabler to your game's root folder and run once. This will create the necessary MODS folder if it does not already exist. At this point you should take a snapshot of your "clean" game files by selecting the "Generate snapshot of game files" option from the "Tasks..." list. This snapshot can be used to verify the integrity of the game files at a later date, after you have installed and uninstalled mods (see "Further notes on usage" for more information).

3. After downloading a mod, unzip it into a sub-folder under the MODS folder (call the sub-folder what you like, but use something that defines what the mod is). Note that the modder may have already set up the mod to be "JSGME compatible", in which case this step and the following step will be done for you. In such instances follow the installation instructions that come with the mod.

4. Ensure that the unzipped files under the new mod sub-folder replicate the game's folder structure. For example, with Silent Hunter III you should see something like:

- SilentHunterIII

+ data

documentation

- MODS

- The Mod Name <created at step 3>

- data

- Menu <etc...>

+ Support

5. Run JSGME.exe and you should see the mod listed as an available mod. Simply select and press the ">" button, or click and drag from Available Mods to Activated Mods and the mod is installed!

That's it! Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each additional mod that you want to install and then simply exit the Generic Mod Enabler and load your (now modded) game as usual.

==Further notes on usage==

- MICROSOFT VISTA USERS: If you are running the Generic Mod Enabler on Vista and are having problems with mods "taking" (the usual symptom is that the MODS folder itself is not created when the Generic Mod Enabler is first run), then simply right-click JSGME.exe in Windows Explorer and select "Run as Administrator". Alternatively, right-click JSGME.exe and select "Properties". In the properties window select the "Compatibility" tab and check "Run this program in compatibility mode" and in the box below select "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)". In some instances you may need to apply both solutions.

- You can explore a mod's file contents through Windows Explorer by right clicking an available (not activated) mod and selecting "Explore".

- Selecting a mod and right clicking will bring up a list of all files in the mod's "documentation" folder for viewing.

- Selecting a mod will display a brief description of the mod if the modder has provided a text file with an ".jsgme" extension in either the "documentation" folder or base folder.

- You disable mods by clicking on the enabled mod and pressing the "<" button, or clicking and dragging from Activated Mods to Available Mods. If an enabled mod has had files updated by subsequent enabled mods, you will not be allowed to disable the mod until the subsequent mods are disabled.

- You can disable all mods in one action by pressing the "<<" button (useful for when patching your game or updating JSGME.exe).

- You can enable or disable multiple mods simultaneously by pressing the CTRL or ALT keys when selecting.

- You can import mods by unzipping anywhere onto your hard drive and then dragging and dropping the mod folder onto the Generic Mod Enabler's "Available Mods" list. The folder and contents will be automatically moved into the MODS folder ready for enabling. Nb: press the Control key when you drop the folder into the Generic Mod Enabler and it will be copied instead of moved.

- You can remove available mods (not activated) from your computer by selecting and pressing the "Delete" button or pressing the Delete key.

- You can rename mods by selecting and pressing F2.

- You can refresh the mod list at any time by pressing F5.

- You can create new mod folder names by pressing F7.

- You can check the integrity of your game files by selecting the "Compare game files to snapshot" option from the "Tasks..." list at any time. This will compare the current game files against the original snapshot taken at step 2. Any discrepancies will be reported for your information and action.

- To make sharing your mod lists with others easier, you can generate a text file list by selecting the "Export activated mods list" option from the "Tasks..." list. A file titled "Activated mods list.txt" will be saved to your MODS folder.

- You can change the display language of the Generic Mod Enabler by visiting http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products.html and downloading an available language pack. Simply follow the installation instructions included in the language pack.

- MODDERS: You can remove files from the game by including in your package (empty) text files with -remove added to the filename (ie "filename.ext-remove"). Files will be returned when your mod is disabled.

- MODDERS: Add a text file to your "documentation" or base folder with the extension ".jsgme" and the contents (up to 255 characters) will be displayed to the user whenever they click on your mod within the Generic Mod Enabler's interface. This is a great way to quickly "remind" users what your mod does.

==How the Generic Mod Enabler works==

When you run the Generic Mod Enabler, all the sub-folder names under the MODS folder are collected and inserted into the "Available Mods" panel. Enabling a mod copies the associated files across into the game folder structure, backing up any files that it overwrites by appending the mod's name to the file extension and moving to a backup folder. This is why it is important that the folders and files under the mod sub-folder must mirror exactly the structure of the game itself. Also, once you enable a mod, it's good practice not to alter files in the source mod sub-folder. If you want to modify or update files in a mod sub-folder, disable the mod first then re-enable again after the files are updated (ie if a newer version of the mod is released).

The Generic Mod Enabler has been tested with European Air War, Panzer Elite, Silent Hunter III/IV, Total War and various other games but should work with just about any moddable game. Simply follow the above instructions replacing "Silent Hunter III" with the name of the game that you wish to mod.

Enjoy!

Jaesen Jones

JoneSoft

Email jonesoft@internode.on.net if questions or feedback

Download Link: http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/...ucts-jsgme.html

Doh! I have played SH3 with JSGME and completely forgot about it! Doh! :fool: :blush2:

Thanks Panama Red! JSGME should be ideal for backing up and replacing the damage files. No more fooling around with ancient DOS commands to copy all those files (although I WAS finally able to get my batch file to properly copy the files and store them in a backup folder). I was just about to start working on a .bat file to restore the files when I ran across your post. Guess I won't have to waste my time working on that and can get flying!

I'll update my readme file to incorporate instructions on using JSGME with the HPWFB VDM.

Getting better,last flight i got so shot up so bad the fabric came away from my port elevator,it looked great.Any one in doubt should not worry get this DM mod loaded..... :clapping:

Doh! I have played SH3 with JSGME and completely forgot about it! Doh! :fool: :blush2:

Thanks Panama Red! JSGME should be ideal for backing up and replacing the damage files. No more fooling around with ancient DOS commands to copy all those files (although I WAS finally able to get my batch file to properly copy the files and store them in a backup folder). I was just about to start working on a .bat file to restore the files when I ran across your post. Guess I won't have to waste my time working on that and can get flying!

I'll update my readme file to incorporate instructions on using JSGME with the HPWFB VDM.

You might want to include a link to the JSGME utility in your instructions or include it so people that do not have it will be able to easily get it. :ok:

Thanks

Edited by Panama Red