Sign in to follow this  
Deuces

Have you locked your keys in the car?

This is pretty cool. Tried it out and it worked from 287 miles away. :ok:

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys In the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot From your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

I didn't think that signal would carry over a cell phone. Interesting.

Anyway, the only time I ever did it (where I needed someone to come and open the doors for me) was in high school when the GF left the keys in the car and locked it behind her. So technically it wasn't me at all :biggrin: but I needed to call AAA to unlock it.

My car has to use the remote. If you simply try to use the key, it's absurd car alarm will go off. That's right, with the original key.

I've only locked them in the car once... luckily the car wasn't running, and I was already @ work. AAA to the rescue.

I've heard of this before, but only in an urban legend sense. Glad to here that you success with it.

Cant lock your Keys in a Motorbike... or if you do at least you can get to them easily... :biggrin:

back at bragg i was the guy who could unlock it with a coat hanger. 20 seconds best record. and they say im a crook for some reason.......

heard about it.. never tried it out :)

Never heard about the cell phone trick before; I'm going to try that one out!!

Locked keys in car? Shoot, who hasn't!!

I got a better story on that .... when I was in college (ok, local community college, taking my Auto Tech & GE classes), I was between classes, and went to the car to switch books. This was in the mid-70s, and I was driving my first car -69 Camaro. So, I get to the car, open the trunk, put my keys in my jacket pocket. Since it was mid-day already, and warming up, I didn't need the jacket -- one of those big, heavy flight-jacket types. So I take it off, toss it into the trunk, and slam the lid down.

And then realized the keys were STILL in the pocket.

Fortunately, one of the guys in my autoshop classes was a AAA driver, and had his slim-jims with him. On those GMs it takes about 2 secend to pop open the door. Of coures, it took another halfhour to remove the back seat, and on one had ever done that before, so we could reach through the now open area behind the upright and grab my jacket to get the keys. Needless to say, I went and got copies made, and always kept an extra set in my wallet!!

wrench

kevin stein