Sign in to follow this  
Launchbury

Beer thread!

So what does beer have to do with flight sim? Everything! I've long said the one thing flight simming has over real flying is that you can get tanked to your heart's content.

Now I'm not a beer snob, but am somewhat selective. This week's find is Maui Brewing's Coconut Porter. Dark, delicious, interesting, not what you might call refreshing, but well worth the price considering it's imported from Hawaii.

9018.jpg

Post your favourite beers and enrich the beer knowledge of everyone else!

So what does beer have to do with flight sim? Everything! I've long said the one thing flight simming has over real flying is that you can get tanked to your heart's content.

Now I'm not a beer snob, but am somewhat selective. This week's find is Maui Brewing's Coconut Porter. Dark, delicious, interesting, not what you might call refreshing, but well worth the price considering it's imported from Hawaii.

9018.jpg

Probably cheaper than milk the last time I was in Hawaii milk was 10 bucks a gallon sheez.

Yes, and they get their cherries via air-freight. We (United) send about 20,000 pounds of cherries from SFO to HNL every day.

Hawaiian beer? That's funny for Germans, as there was an old evergreen called

"Es gibt kein Bier auf Hawaii" (There ain't no beer in Hawaii); that's why the singer

won't go there. Lol!

My favourite beers used to be: Warsteiner Premium Pils and Veltins Pilsener.

Do you drink anything other than Pils? Every enjoy a Stout or an Ale? Maybe one of those trappist beers from Belgium.

This is one of my favourites. A real easy-drinking session beer for long summer afternoons at the pub. And the name does it no harm for a flight sim enthusiast either :grin:

shepspitfire.jpg

This is one of my favourites. A real easy-drinking session beer for long summer afternoons at the pub. And the name does it no harm for a flight sim enthusiast either :grin:

Dej, ^I'm bloody-well sold. Send me a case!

Also, I just looked up a larger picture of the Spitfire beer, and at the bottom of the label it says "THE BOTTLE OF BRITAIN." God strike me pink, what cleverness. A beer you can laugh with, instead of at, is marvelous.

Edited by Launchbury

quit drinking(in Germany of all places!) 10 years ago. long family history behind it. however i do miss having a liter of Maiselweiss at the volksfest on base every year. still have the steins from each one. not a bad souvenier for 8 mark deposit.

One of my faves, though I haven't gone through all of them yet: there are several hundred Belgian beers, and nearly all of them, other than the ones for the massmarket, are to die for.

The last authentic Tripel Style Beer brewed in Bruges

Straffe Hendrik was an authentic Bruges' Tripel beer: a strong and rich beer with lots of flavours (malt, caramel and hop) and 9% abv. In the past, lots of Bruges' breweries produced a Tripel Style Bruges' Ale, a "Brugse Tripel". In fact, it was a local speciality. Today, Straffe Hendrik is the last authentic Bruges' Tripel Beer.

In 1988, the label was transfered to another brewery and the production in Bruges decreased until it stopped completely. In 2008, exactly 20 years later, Xavier Vanneste brought the label back to Bruges. Ever since, Straffe Hendrik is being brewed in Bruges according to the original recipe and enjoyes once again an excellent reputation amongst the people of Bruges who have "their Tripel" back.

clear.gifStraffe Hendrik, a rich bitter ale

Straffe Hendrik is being brewed with a subtle mixture of 6 different kinds of malt. The taste is strong with a lot of hop (Saaz and Styrian Golding) of the best quality. The second fermentation in the bottle assures a longer shelf life. Straffe Hendrik is a very rich beer with lots of flavours.

Cheers :drinks:

post-32273-1249686374_thumb.jpg

Pils was my favourite in Germany, Launchbury, but in England I had a good "Director's Bitter" in Cornwall,

but I forgot the brewery. The bartender thought, I was a German bank director - no one else ordered it, it

was more expensive, but it was the best!

One word....Guinness

MyGoodnessMyGuiness.jpg

Edited by scouserlad13

My fav Hawaiian beer: Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale http://www.konabrewingco.com/beers/fire-rock-pale-ale

Velvet

I love that Fire Rock! We go to Kona Brewing a couple times a month on average. They make an incredible coffee porter.

But I digress.

Best beer in the world? (draft beer is best in the galaxy, from my personal experience)

Beer so good it's worth flying to San Francisco, having 2 cold ones in the airport, and flying home?

Anchor Steam! (and their summer ale is terrific too!)

post-51131-1249693809_thumb.jpg

Edited by Broadside uda Barn

Broadside, I actually work at the SFO airport and I've never had Anchor Steam! I've seen it many a time, however, and I've thought about getting it, but I've always gone for something else. I'll definitely give it a try now though. :)

When I was in the UK I was partial to Tennent's Lager, you know the one with the pin up girls on the can? Call me uncivilized or even maybe one of the "great unwashed", but you'd have to fight me to get my Budweiser! :aggressive:

CJ

Broadside, I actually work at the SFO airport and I've never had Anchor Steam! I've seen it many a time, however, and I've thought about getting it, but I've always gone for something else. I'll definitely give it a try now though. :)

Everytime I fly thru SFO (which is everytime I fly to the mainland), I head straight for the anchor steam! IIRC, only one place has it...it's just off the the center hub where all the food is.

Actually, anchor steam has A GREAT tour at their plant in south city. I'm not one for tours much, but that one was terrific!

Favorite non american beer: it's a tie bewteen Tettley's and Guiness. Harp running a close 2nd to those two.

Ah, the beer I grew up on - Yuengling (pronounced Ying-ling) made near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in America's oldest brewery, established 1829. I know, by Olham's standards, that brewery is just an infant, but that's the best we can do here.

Olham, I'm a fan of Warsteiner, too.

Broadside, when I lived in Kaneohe, I prefered Steinlager, even if it was a Kiwi import. The only "local" beer at the time was Primo, with King Kam. on the can.

post-45761-1249698718_thumb.jpg

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Excellent idea. As Ben Franklin said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Beer is my favorite thing in the world. After that, and a noticeable distance behind, it's a toss-up for 2nd place between whiskey, whisky, sex, violence, adrenaline, and a combination of them all :good: .

My favorite beers are those I make myself. I make old-school 1700s porters and India pale ales. Both are about 8% alcohol, highly hopped and, as a result of these natural preservatives, are fully capable of surviving unscathed when unrefrigerated for months in the climate around here. I brew these in expectation of long-term power outages after hurricanes, just in case, and I have yet to be disappointed when such disasters have befallen us :blink: . These are the beers that the Royal Navy used to have in open barrels on the decks of ships in the Caribbean just south of here, for the men on watch to scoop up mugs to remain hydrated (1 gallon per man per day) while doing pulley-hauley in 90^F and 90% humidity.

However, when my electricity works, I serve mine on tap in a modified fridge with spigots drilled through the side. Inside are 3x 2.5gal kegs, a CO2 bottle, and no shelves. Porter and IPA are always available, but the 3rd tap is the wildcard. Sometimes it's a mild, sometimes a Scotch ale, sometimes a stout, sometimes something from the Continent. But currently, it's serving a diabolical, deceptively sweet yet DEADLY pulque I made from agave nectar I got, ironically, at a health food store :ok: .

If I have to drink store-bought beers, I like EVERYTHING made by Samuel Smith, plus things like Old Speckled Hen, Bishop's Finger (even if I know where it's been), Chimay Grande Reserve, Samiklaus, Old Rasputin, Thomas Hardy Ale, Old Foghorn, Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, and EKU 28 Kulminator (the only beer that needs a beer chaser :biggrin: ). You get the idea.

Glorious, glug-glug-glug-glorious

One keg of beer for the four of us!

Glory be to God that there are no more of us

For the four of us can drink it all alone!

[/i]

Edited by Bullethead

How could I forget Yuengling! Probably because they don't sell it in CT. PA = yes, NY = yes, even FLA, but not CT. I need to load up the next time I pass through PA. Great stuff.

I wonder if "Yuengling" is just the transposed German word or name "Juengling" (by the heard name rather than the written),

which would mean "young person". Do you know, if that oldest Amercian brewerey was perhaps built by Germans, Jarhead?

Name changes happened a lot, when people from Germany spelled their names to the immigration officials, who where English

speaking and writing of course. So the Bavarian name Rietenauer became Ritenour, and Krugschenk* became Kruigshank.

(* one who serves wine or beer from a big jar)

Shredward, I never knew, the Belgians could make a drinkable beer, cause the general stores all seem to have undrinkable

brews like Heineken (argh!). But it looks as if it tastes good.

Bullethead, you always manage to asthonish me again. Brewing his own beer - that's great! How long does it need until it's

drinkable?

Glad to hear there are other homebrewers lurking on here. I now have my own brew closet for my supplies and have collected quite a collection of glass carboys. Going to brew a nice pumpkin ale in 2 weeks that should be ready to drink by october just in time for the leaves falling. Only problem is my pregnant wife has little tolerance for that wonderful smell of my boiling wort!

I am a huge Sierra Nevada fan and strongly urge our German members to try their new Keller Weiss if it is available in Germany. It is the best American Weiss I have ever had!

Here are just a few of my favs, home and from abroad.

Edited by MAKO69

ok here is mine awaitign this years run i have had every run since 2002, lucky for me a freind gets me a dirict purchase at cost so i can afford this litle luxary once a year, other wise i like the winter lager from am the honey porter, and the occasion cream stout, then again flat tire isnt bad either i also home brew

The 2009 Samuel Adams Utopias is a strong, rich, dark beer that, unlike most beers, is uncarbonated and is served room temperature in a snifter glass. The recommended pour is two-ounces meant to be savored like vintage port or a fine cognac. Samuel Adams Utopias is brewed in small batches, blended, and aged in the Barrel Room at the Samuel Adams Boston Brewery. Since its first release in 2002, Utopias has held the coveted title of 'world's strongest beer' in the Guinness Book of World Records with 25 percent alcohol by volume. Maintaining the record set by the 2007 batch for commercially brewed beers, the 2009 batch of Samuel Adams Utopias weighs in at 27 percent alcohol by volume. The average beer is about 5%.

post-24208-1249738869_thumb.jpg

Edited by stumpjumper

Hey, stumpjumper, are you sure it's a beer? 25 % is double the amount of alcohol a good red wine would have.

I'd call that a "tranqiliser".