Sign in to follow this  
Launchbury

Beer thread!

Hey, stumpjumper, are you sure it's a beer? 25 % is double the amount of alcohol a good red wine would have.

I'd call that a "tranqiliser".

whats worng with a lil self medication after multi hours of flight simming, besides off and the occasion beer keeps me home and the missus dosnt mind to much

Nothing wrong with it, I suppose.

And you have the missus to show you, where the bed was. Lol!

We have a beer from Denmark here, called Elephant beer. And the name suggests it:

you could tranquilise an Elephant with it. But that has only 7,5 %.

and of course who wouldn't love a lil bit of this

post-24208-1249741626_thumb.jpg

Edited by stumpjumper

Bullethead, you always manage to asthonish me again. Brewing his own beer - that's great!

It's so easy a neolithic farmer could do it. You should give it a try. I hear homebrewing is a bigger hobby in Europe than America, and you all have better access to good ingredients. OTOH, you all also have better access to good store-bought beer, so there's less incentive to make your own.

How long does it need until it's drinkable?

Understand that there are 2 main types of beer: ales and lagers. These use very different strains of yeast and thus require very different processes and times. Most US homebrewers, myself included, only make ales, primarily because we prefer their taste to that of the typical, pathetic US pilsners. I've always thought that the human kidney was a wonderfully engineered device for turning good ale into "Buttwiper" :biggrin: . Anyway, this taste for ales is fortunate, because ales are WAY faster, easier, and cheaper to make than lagers.

Ale yeasts like high temperatures and work quickly. This time of year where I live, my 8% porters and IPAs take 5-7 days at most to go from kettle to fridge. That's pretty damn fast. They take 7-10 days in winter.

Lager yeasts, OTOH, like temperatures that are very close to freezing and work very slowly. It takes frm several weeks to several months to make a lager, all the while running a large refrigerator which is expensive, unless you have a handy ice cave in the Alps.

The problem for you is, most German beers are lagers, so that's probably what you like best. German ales are usually known as "alt", because the lagering process is the newer of the 2. If you like that, you should give brewing a try.

Glad to hear there are other homebrewers lurking on here. I now have my own brew closet for my supplies and have collected quite a collection of glass carboys.

Heheh, my brewing operations got thrown out of the house entirely many years ago, after a vigorous imperial stout blew the lid off a plastic fermenter and ruined the drapes :blink: . So I had to build an outbuilding for brewing. It was a pain, but it's worth it now. It's got a concrete floor with a drain, an overhead crane, a deep sink, an airconditioner, its own hot water heater, and a large fridge for storing extra kegs. It's my whole hobby laboratory, because I keep all my beekeeping, candle-making, and flint-knapping stuff in there, too.

Going to brew a nice pumpkin ale in 2 weeks

I've never had any of that and thought it existed only in Harry Potter :rolleyes: . Please send me your recipe.

Edited by Bullethead

ah yes the dreaded beer gernades of home brewing lol been there done that why i home brew outside the house now

5 cases of bottles gone

DAMN, what a disaster in so many different ways! :yikes: All that beer wasted, a huge mess to clean up (no doubt with much hate and no help from the Mrs.)...

...And then there's the loss of the bottles themselves... :blink:

Dealing with bottles is the biggest obstacle for the beginning homebrewer, and is the main reason many only try it once and then never do it again. First, you have to collect cases and cases of empty bottles, before you brew anything. The upside is, you get to empty them in the process, but it's slow and expensive. Then you have to remove the labels, which is a LOT of work. Only then is it safe to put them in the dishwasher, and then you need a place to store mountains of bottles while keeping them fairly clean (the back corner of the garage isn't a good place). Then you have to sterilize them just before you fill them, and the whole priming, filling, and capping process is long, tedious, messy, and wasteful. On top of all this, you have to devote nearly as much care to amassing and maintaining all the cardboard 6-pack holders and sturdy case cartons all those bottles need.

All told, there's more work and hassle involved with the bottles and cardboard than there is making the beer itself, and none of it is fun, convenient, intoxicating, or something to show off to your friends. And then, when you DO give your friends some beer, you have to ask them to clean the bottles out and return them along with the 6-pack holder, and you curse them when they don't.

For these reasons, I switched to kegging my beers. I use the small, 2.5-gallon soda kegs to serve out of (because they're easier to put in the fridge) and the 5-gallon kegs as 2ndary fermenters. I can thus filter under gas pressure from one to the other, all in 1 quick, easy, and spill-free step :). Instead of having to clean 50-60 bottles per batch, I only have to clean 3 kegs. If folks wants my beer, they can come over and have some on tap, or they can invite me to a keg party :biggrin: .

Party over at Bullethead's. Everyone's invited! You make thirsty, dang. I gotta make run...

after viewing this thread i had to call a freind of mine and ask if he had some avable still so 15 mins later i am now the proud owner of a nice 1994 vintage The liquid is in a beautiful cobalt blue collectible bottle which can be resealed and reused with the replaceable cork stopper. (see pictures for color definition and sample stopper). Yes, I drank one! Nice! 's an excerpt from the Boston Beer Website regarding Sam Triple Bock: Samuel Adams® Triple Bock® is the beer that truly started our odyssey into extreme brewing. Its deep, full flavor explodes with notes of maple, vanilla, oak and toffee. This flavor, along with its heavy, still mouthfeel has drawn comparisons to a vintage port, sherry and cognac. And Samuel Adams® Triple Bock® should be enjoyed in much the same way. We recommend serving it at room temperature in a snifter a few ounces at a time - one bottle should generously serve two to three. Its warming malt character and fruit esters make it an ideal after dinner aperitif.

Due to legal restrictions, Samuel Adams® Triple Bock® can not be sold in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, and West Virginia.

Samuel Adams® Triple Bock® stretches the definition of beer, but beer it is. Jim Koch wanted to brew a beer so extraordinary that in a single sip it would do away with all preconceptions of the taste and flavors that are usually found in beer. T have been only three vintages of Samuel Adams® Triple Bock®: 1994, 1995 and 1997, but bottles can still be found in the marketplace. Unlike regular beer which has a very limited shelf life, Samuel Adams® Triple Bock® seems only to improve with time, becoming even more complex, and slightly dryer. apv is nthe 18.5 range(the previous is form samule adams brewer's)

think tongiht me and the wifey will sit down give it a try and good excuse to throw some porterhouse on the grill and lounge aroudn the house

post-24208-1249758558_thumb.jpg

Edited by stumpjumper

As a youth my father would often let me sip his beer

I don't know why but this forbidden brew was such a treat for me

He drank ...let's say economical labels, Hulls, Black Label, Pabst, Schlitz

My favorite was Hull's Bock beer but this New Haven brewery went out of business long before I could have a legal sip

About 10 years go, after a round of golf, I spotted another one of my father's favorites, 'Schaefer' on tap in the country club

Not expecting much, I was surprized how enjoyable it was

It's very hard to find on tap as the brewery in NY or PA has closed and it is now brewed by Pabst

A few years ago I mentioned this to a friend and he too liked Schaefer (nobody ever talks about Schaefer)

He told me it had won awards but was quite unknown ...aaand it is a wheat beer ...huh?

That has started my current love for wheat beer - Hefeweizen

Some recent samplings

Blue Moon

UFO - Blah

Weihenstephaner - best so far

And the dunkel (dark ...maybe bock) version of the above is on order)

But having no current favorite I'll post the one that got me started on this wheat brau trend

IM327117.gif

(1 gallon per man per day)

Which can be described only as heaven.

Currently in the fridge is the previously mention Maui coconut, along with Old Rasputin's Imperial, and Sierra Nevada Southern Harvest Ale in a 20oz bottle. Looking forward to prying that one open.

Well, being an Ale drinker too (can't stand that awful piss-poor fizzy Lager rubbish!)..my two favourite tipples are these:

(though both have caused considerable discomfort at various times in my life!)

post-22245-1249816426_thumb.jpg

post-22245-1249816440_thumb.jpg

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Ah! There it is - Newcastle Brown Ale! Had that, when I was in Derby, on a trip further up north.

Good ale!

MMMMMMMMM...Newcastle Brown. I like dark ales. The darker the better, all the way up to that thick, chewy extra stout they brew over in Ireland. :yes:

Cheers!

Lou

MMMMMMMMM...Newcastle Brown. I like dark ales. The darker the better, all the way up to that thick, chewy extra stout they brew over in Ireland. :yes:

Cheers!

Lou

Cheers!

Lou

Cheers!

Lou

MMMMMMMMM...Newcastle Brown.

I believe, in its area of origin, that it's pronounced "Nookie Brrroon".

When I visited to that town, I went into a pub that had a huge poster on the wall that looked like the Bayeux Tapestry, and was just about as big. However, it was about Vikings fighting the locals. The local warlord was KIA, but was brought back to life by the "Brrroon".

OFF + beer = Happy Me

I like most anything not lager, and fly anything not Nieuport because I keep tearing my own wings off in those things.

I've gotta be a homer and put in a huzzah for Anchor Steam, as steam beer is by some reckoning the only original American beer style. (Not to denigrate the work of the many wonderful craft brewers and the distinctiveness of Cascade hops!) Steam beer is ale yeasted wort fermented at cool, lager temperature, and is the style I will be trying to emulate when the winter season comes back to Florida. Anchor Brewery was also key in the renaissance of American brewing after it's prohibition induced lager-luster demise.

Waiting for the new OFF planes to reach the front is like waiting for a barley-wine home brew to age!

I've gotta be a homer and put in a huzzah for Anchor Steam

...Waiting for the new OFF planes to reach the front is like waiting for a barley-wine home brew to age!

Anchor's stuff is great. I'm particularly partial to their Old Foghorn barley wine :biggrin: . Have you tried any of their Old Potrero small batch rye whiskey? I've been trying to get some but have so far been unsuccessful.

I happen to like dark beer. My favorite commercial dark beer with food would be Bohemia or Negra Modello, both excellent, brewed in Mexico.

bohemia_beer.pngnm_header[1].jpg

"Ah, Bohemia beer and the Pyramid of the Sun; entire civilizations have created less" John Steinbeck

Guinness for solo dark beer drinking... what a beer head!

Not available commercially, "Terminator" dark porter from the Blue Moon micro brewery restaurant in Portland, Oregon. drunk.gif ..pretty amazing hamburgers too.

bmoon.jpg (click)

Guest British_eh

Oldham, the "Directors Bitter" is brewed by the Courage Brewery and I had one not two months ago. My English brother, recommended it when we were out for a few.

Newcastle Brown Ale, is a great classic.

My favorite, brewed on the Praries of Canada, actually Calgary, is Old Rock - Traditional Ale. Perhaps not quite so sweet as NBA, but smooth and tasty.

Sorry, no German wheat beers, or American. It has to have a bit of flavour!

Cheers,

British_eh

I believe, in its area of origin, that it's pronounced "Nookie Brrroon".

When I visited to that town, I went into a pub that had a huge poster on the wall that looked like the Bayeux Tapestry, and was just about as big. However, it was about Vikings fighting the locals. The local warlord was KIA, but was brought back to life by the "Brrroon".

So, you been to my Home town then BH?..... Hope you enjoyed yourself...It is indeed Newkie Broon... and it's been the ruin of many a poor boy..and god...I know...I'm one!...hahaha ( House of the Rising Sun) covered by the Animals... who were from Newcastle too :biggrin:

These are my favs:

newcastle_brown_ale.jpgtetles_smoothflow_can.pngguinness[1](1).jpgpaulaner-hefe-weizen_bg.jpg

God bless em!

So, you been to my Home town then BH?..... Hope you enjoyed yourself..

Yes to both. I've made a number of trips to the UK with the goal of drinking every ale and whisky made there in its town of origin. It's a Quixotic quest for a tourist, I know, but I've made a valiant effort and I'd wager I've managed about 2/3 of the total :yes: . Everywhere I've gone, I've have fun, met friendly natives, and consumed vast quantities of the local brews :drinks_drunk:

Reading this thread has made me thirsty. Too bad some of those rare beverages must be really hard find from this part of the world.

I've always liked dark, strong beer more than the lighter variants. I also like the Rauchbier, smoked beer - I think they make some of the best of that stuff in Germany and Norway, German Schenkerla being one of my all-time favourites.

Tried to order some via internet? Nowadays, almost everything can be bought that way.