Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Olham became Oldham for a Bristol afternoon

As David Oldham, I joined RFC-11, Bellevue, in June 1917.

Sitting in the cockpit, I found myself well placed between a strong inline engine

and a rear gunner. Takeoff and flying where easy, the crate climbs very well.

On our second mission, we had to attack a railyard south of Douai. Not knowing the British

bomb sizes, I had attached 4 Cooper 25 lb (I think).

On our way, 5 Albatros crossed our course some 2000 feet higher, but didn't notice us or had

other duties. Near the target, German Flak did their best to impress us, but the sturdy solid

Brisfit dives well, and so we went down from 12.000 to 1.000 feet in just one wide turn.

My approach to the train went very well, but when I pressed the button for "drop ordonance"

nothing happened, and I had to check "contolls" again to change button commands. Have forgotten

again - was it "jettison selected weapon"? Anyway, when I tried this, my bombs fell, but near a

farmer's house (oops!). Okay then, dive attack with machine gun now. Here I wished, a big strong

craft like the Brisfit should have had a 3 cm forward gun (don't know if that size existed already?).

I peppered the waggons and train with little effect. Pulling out and up was exiting! Woooohooo!!!

What a climb (30° or more!). On my next strafing, I saw that my fellow fighters had known the

right buttons - vans were destroyed and soldiers lay dead on the platform. I fired into the train

again, but it wouldn't get wrecked. Instead, my engine was hit. I knew that click-clack sound

from my Albatros' inline engine - a valve was shot up.

Better turn home, I thought, and off we went. My wingmen continued their attack.

Still very low, to escape the machine gun fire, I now made a big mistake! I tried to change from

the pilot's seat to the gunner position. Don't do that at treetop level. For a split second, the craft

nosed down, and when it had "accepted" the new pilot, it was too late - we crashed into trees.

But that wasn't my last flight with that crate - a great craft, easy to fly, and I'm looking forward

for my first air combat in her.

The Bristol Scout was also very easy to fly. Only found it hard to keep up with my comrades, as

I was only the last wing. We flew very high (at 15.000 feet), and didn't encounter enemies.

So, to check the gun, which is installed at your left side, pointing away from your Scout just to

avoid hitting the propellor, I fired at my leader's craft a bit, fortunately without hitting him.

Air combat would be much trickier in the Scout than any other craft, I suppose.

Landing was a bit bumpy; I should have stopped the engine, I think. But the crate has hoop guards

below the wingtips, which where very helpful, cause otherwise I would have broken a tip.

As David Oldham, I joined RFC-11, Bellevue, in June 1917.

You're on the slippery slope now, Ohlam. We'll have you in a Fee next :biggrin: . Besides, you should do a few Fee campaigns to really feel like you've earned the right to fly the mighty Brisfit :yes: .

Still, If you want a lot of air-to-air Brisfit action, I suggest 48 Squadron in April 1917. June's a slow month in comparison, and only 48 has the Brisfit in Bloody April. You can then go on the Bristfit's combat debut and do it better than they did in real life, because you can maneuver like a fighter instead of sitting still like a bomber.

Thanks for the tip, Bullet - I'll send David Oldham to the 48 then! Action!!

Oh, and the Fees - you can keep them for the men with no fighter experience.

I was born with fangs in my mouth! :diablo:

Oh, and the Fees - you can keep them for the men with no fighter experience.

I was born with fangs in my mouth! :diablo:

Fees ARE fighters! It says so on the label. They're in fighter squadrons, they go on fighter missions. The "F" in FE2 stands for "Fighter", after all (rumors that it actually stands for "Farman" are baseless slander :biggrin: ).

The Fee is the Eindecker of the RFC in terms of performance. But while the Fee doesn't fall out of the sky for no apparent reason, it has a tougher job. The E.III gets to slaughter Quirks in 1916, but the FE2 has to contest air superiority with Albatri in Bloody April.

Sounds to me that's a job for sombody born with fangs. Anybody with baby teeth can be successful in a good, or even a mediocre plane, but the Fee in Bloody April is a real challenge just to survive in. I double-dog dare you :haha:

Good show Olham!

The Brisfit is my nemsis

Even when I manage to make a good pass that blasted TGer always gets his burst in

You''ll do well in her

I've been thinking about a Roland campaign myself

I've done a few campaigns in RNAS 3 flying the Sop 1 1/2 Strutter in June 1916. It turned out to be a very good fighter in it's time as well as carrying bombs and a tail gunner.

Olham,

From 12000 feet to 1000 feet in one sweeping turn is some cool flying. I find that I start to shudder a fair bit and it becomes completely unresponsive (in a 1 1/2 Strutter). Good for you. Also pleased to see you learned a lesson in when to change seats with your gunner. All that clambering over a fuselage with no-one at the controls when you're at 100 feet? :biggrin: (Yes Mr Lucky, I found the 1 1/2 strutter to be a good sturdy fighter with RNAS 8).

Olham...you are close to being subject to court martial charges if you shoot at your flight leader. Be very careful my friend. :yes:

You're on the slippery slope now, Ohlam.

Next, we'll hear him crowing about shooting down an Albatros! The Kaiser will want all his medals back.

Oh Cripes, now we're in for it! Hide the fish and chips! Olham will be playing skittles next, just you wait and see.

:biggrin:

Fish 'n Chips is okay sometimes! Had that in London. But what's "skittles"?

But what's "skittles"?

"Taste the rainbow"

BTW, I'm starting a Pfalz campaign tonight.

Edited by Bullethead

Taste the rainbow...LOL!

Also called nine pin, Olham. Basically it's bowling, but with more drinking, (if that's even possible).

Cheers!

Lou

Ah, you mean "Kegeln" - yes, I know that, but I could never remember who won.