Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

be2c

I was looking at someone else s site and found good pics and a video of a 1/5th scale be2c. The site is www. 1 aero.org.au click on modeling and u will see it. Personnally, I found it hard to believe young men were brave enough to get near one of those things much less fly and fight in it. Unbelieveable.

If you get hold of "Wings" BBC series from the 1970's they fly a lot in that versus the Eindeckers great to see. Also shows from unarmed Be2's, to trying out experimental mounts for Lewis etc. Great series.

If you get hold of "Wings" BBC series from the 1970's they fly a lot in that versus the Eindeckers great to see. Also shows from unarmed Be2's, to trying out experimental mounts for Lewis etc. Great series.

Will try, maybe its on line with amazon .com.uk or I will try to find an addy for the BBC? Luv radio Control will try to learn how to fly and build this winter. The english also had old BBC TV programs on Battle of Britain( A not so heroic version) and British Bomber Command I only saw 3 episoes. I think it was called they fly by night or am I confusing it with the gangster film They drive by night ? :biggrin:

Luv radio Control will try to learn how to fly and build this winter.

carrick, I'm not an RCer but I've often thought Flyby View would be great for learning RC

Think the hard part (or one of them) is to learn to reverse your control movements when the bird is flying at you

Enjoy,

Yes, I bought it from a website that did old TV series a few months back, but think they are no longer around.

carrick, I'm not an RCer but I've often thought Flyby View would be great for learning RC

Think the hard part (or one of them) is to learn to reverse your control movements when the bird is flying at you

Enjoy,

Dead right Duce. I was always more nervous flying an RC plane than I ever was flying a real one.

Carrick,

You mistyped the website for that video. See the bottom of my post for my signature for the correct address gents. The constructor and pilot of that craft is Adrian Hellwig, a member of our society and author of "Australian Hawk over the Western Front", a biography of Roderic Stanley Dallas, an Aussie who flew for RNAS during the Great War.

Knowing that the original full scale aircraft were notoriously difficult to fly (as aviation was still in its infancy and there weren't any wind tunnels about to test if the rudder needed to be a bit larger etc), I had a long correspondance with Adrian about whether the scale models of WW1 aircraft were much more difficult to fly when compared to your basic bog-standard RC trainer. You guessed it, yes, they are. The BE2c had aerodynamic properties in full scale that are replicated in the small scale models. He was extremely nervous on her maiden flight.

Duce, there are computer flight simulators for RC aircraft where your controller is a RC dual joystick setup, and has flyby views, and a "Picture-in-picture" superimposition of the aircraft so you can clearly see its orientation. Great fun, and the main reason I haven't tried to build a RC aircraft. It shows that these models are TINY dots and hard to ascertain whether they are flying towards or away from you (especially for someone with my poor old eyes), and very hard to maintain altitude in turns etc (two joysticks, not one...it is a learning curve to operate a rudder with an RC transmitter). Without the Picture-in-picture depiction of the model's attitude, I'd certainly have crashed many more times thatn I already did.

Edited by Check Six

...I'm not an RCer but...

If you're thinking about taking this up, [1] get a computer RC sim. It's the easiest way to get over the shock of how difficult RC really is. [2] If you decide to take the plunge and buy a plane, buy the cheapest, simplest, and ugliest airplane you can find. 'Cheap', because your expenses are just starting; 'Simple', because you're going to be spending a lot of time repairing it; 'Ugly', to minimize the heartbreak-on-impact. In fact, you should probably buy two, so you have one to fly while the first heals.

Last summer, I watched over a buddy's shoulder as he took up the sport. He flew every weekend, and spent his weekdays repairing...and he was a real-life pilot!

If you're thinking about taking this up, [1] get a computer RC sim...

Hi Hauksbee, been away so I missed this

RC has been something I've thought about off & on for a while

Did some research, talked to some people but never took the plunge

You're right, I knew a family of experienced RCer's and their planes were full off patches

It's just when I saw Flyby View, it popped into my head, 'This would be great for RC training'

Makes sense that there'd be dedicted RC software though

Another one of my amateur thoughts was with all the miniturized cameras out there

...can you mount 1 in the cockpit and flyby laptop?

:rolleyes: ...also thought about mounting BB Guns, M80's

...I'd better stick to OFF before I get arrested :nono:

Hi Hauksbee, been away so I missed this

RC has been something I've thought about off & on for a while

Did some research, talked to some people but never took the plunge

You're right, I knew a family of experienced RCer's and their planes were full off patches

It's just when I saw Flyby View, it popped into my head, 'This would be great for RC training'

Makes sense that there'd be dedicted RC software though

Another one of my amateur thoughts was with all the miniturized cameras out there

...can you mount 1 in the cockpit and flyby laptop?

:rolleyes: ...also thought about mounting BB Guns, M80's

...I'd better stick to OFF before I get arrested :nono:

If you look at the last pic in the series of six there, it is captioned "Bombs gone". Adrian has an operating bomb drop mechanism on that model. As far as cockpit mounted cameras, allowing you to fly first person so to speak, I think that the transmitters would be too heavy, maybe even for 1/5 scale. You can have miniature recording cameras that can record the view to be downloaded later as far as I know.

Great piece of free software to get you into flying RC is called FMS. Free model simulator I believe its called. Anyway, its free you can find it online and get familiar with the skillset needed. I fly and build WWI Rc birds from scratch. I took the plunge quite a few years ago,and had I had this sim I would'nt have torn up and rebuilt my trainer nearly so much....perhaps if at all.

Here is a vid of a DV I scratch built.

I also found a way to use Microsfit flight simulator FS9 as a much more detailed rc practice rig, so if you have that software I can show you how to do that too. Tou can even get an adapter if you are serious and use your Rc transmitter with it.

ZZ.

Another one of my amateur thoughts was with all the miniturized cameras out there...can you mount 1 in the cockpit and flyby laptop?

Yes, you can. You can mount anything your plane can lift. A friend in California who did 3D CG recreations for courtroom forensics often had cases where he had to re-create what a vehicle did on a long stretch of road. This always involved hiring a pilot and an aerial photographer. George would then build the CG vehicle and superimpose it on the aerial footage. [The lawyer prosecuting the case has to be able to afford the plane.] George settled on a model helicopter that he could watch on a laptop. The chopper looked like the old Bell, Korean War model we all saw on M*A*S*H. The cockpit bubble was a little bigger than your head. After lifting off, George flew the whle mission [?] by watching the laptop screen...until the last moments before landing. On the demo he did for me, he repeatedly flew it out of sight, or behind things. I'm amazed that news people don't use small RPV's for covering stories.

Yeah, Hauk's right. And there are already sytems pre-made that you can buy that will do exactly that.

http://www.blackwidowav.com/FlexWAV.html

I have one ready to put in a 1/4 scale Fokker EV. Haven't gotten to it yet.

ZZ.

PS. in reference to ...also thought about mounting BB Guns, M80's.

I've dropped some live ordnance from some of my birds, but I live out in the boonies,

so I don't recommend this as a regular practice. If you live in a more urban environment

though....eggs are always fun!!! :biggrin:

Edited by zoomzoom

Thanks for all the replies guys

This hobby's getting more interesting all the time

...maybe someday