Sign in to follow this  
Madmatt

Campaign Air Start? Ummm, how?

Okay, I am usually pretty good at figuring this type of stuff out but I can't seem to locate the option to enable Air Starts for my Campaign Pilots. Can anyone tell me where I am failing to look or is this just referring to how when you play the new Quick Scenarios, you start in the air?

By the way, so far I LOVE all the new enhancements to the game and interface. VERY WELL DONE!

I especially like the new "never die" option for the Quick Combat and I am really impressed with the new Quick Scenario offerings. Although in one of the Neuport missions my wingman immediately wrecked into the back of my plane as soon as the mission began. I will try and replicate this and see if it's an issue with default starting positions or not.

Madmatt

Aha I found it. Its on the Briefing screen for the mission itself. Cool.

By the way, I do have one extremely teeny weeny nit to pick that has gotten under my crawl since day one.

It's the sound of the briefing room. First off, my highly attuned audio-engineer ears seem to pick up some female voices in the background and if I am not mistaken, the sound itself seems to be one of people eating. Not really a wartime pilot briefing room.

I know I know, its minor but it does kinda bug me.

You know, I could probably come up with a good replacement (I have done the vast majority of sound effects in all of the games my company has published the past 9 years) which sounds like a bunch of men, packed into a smokey room with chairs scratching on the floor with coughing and hushed, expectant tones easily enough... All I would need to know is the filename to replace and i could give modding that sound fx a try....

Madmatt

You give me the idea of us OFF fliers maybe sending a little wav file of ourselves and that be mixed/ combined to provide the din during briefings. Probably stupid, maybe too much trouble. Just a thought, but you are right. Sounds like a resteraunt with females in the mix.

Madmatt,

Interesting post. You say you "found it"? A way to start a campaign mission in the air? Do you mean similarly to the Quick Combat choice where you can start on the field, or 5000 or 10000 feet in the air? Interesting. I think anyway that knowing this choice existed, I'd still take off myself. I know you can choose to end your mission at any time with the options available under the menu that appears when you hit "Escape", but I still choose to land. (It's stupid, I know, but at one aerodrome...Vert Galant I think...when I was flying for RNAS, I always approached the field from a certain direction, and imagined that my French mistress lived in the little house a few hundred yards from the field, and "buzzed" her house every time I returned from a mission to let her know I'd be around after I filled out my claims (if any) and briefed my AM on what work was needed on my aircraft).

You know...it IS a simple little thing, but I ALSO noticed the females talking and sounds of cutlery clicking on plates. But I do like the simple little "tap, tap" on the pointer on the lectern to get total silence. It's amazing how totally immersive this sim is, and hence that we do notice these things that seem (just a little) out of place. I'm not suggesting the devs replace it, but if you do find the filename of the briefing room background noise, I for one would replace it with a .wav file that you post here or in private.

PS. Your thread was top of the list in General discussion page. After my reply, I read the new super patch addition and it says there is that option (to start in the air). No wonder I hadn't seen it. I'm off to download it now.

Edited by Check Six

Madmatt,

The file you are looking for is ambienceroom.wav and is located here: \OBDSoftware\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\ShellMusic

Now, show us what you've got! :grin:

Ah yeah, I should have mentioned that I was talking about the new "campaign air start" feature that was added in the latest patch. Sorry for the confusion there.

Anyway, its a nice feature to have although, like many here, I prefer to go ahead and take-off manually for most missions like before.

I did just do a Airfield Defense mission and opting for an Air Start did place me and my jasta mates right into the heat of action, so that was cool!

By the way, I REALLY like the new Damage Model as well. While I never had a problem seeing damage on my own plane (more so than I would have preferred), I definitely notice an increase in visible damage now more in line with what one would expect. Seems the basic bullet damage *decals* appear more often now so you can ID damage to your own craft (and others) easier than before.

Very impressive!

Madmatt

p.s. Thanks HPW, when I get back from vacation (going to the Caribbean!) I will have a look at that sound and see what I can whip up for everyone.

Edited by Madmatt

Roger that, Madmatt. Enjoy the sandy beaches, gentle tropical breezes, and warm sun! Send us a postcard! :grin:

Ah yeah, I should have mentioned that I was talking about the new "campaign air start" feature that was added in the latest patch. Sorry for the confusion there.

Anyway, its a nice feature to have although, like many here, I prefer to go ahead and take-off manually for most missions like before.

I did just do a Airfield Defense mission and opting for an Air Start did place me and my jasta mates right into the heat of action, so that was cool!

By the way, I REALLY like the new Damage Model as well. While I never had a problem seeing damage on my own plane (more so than I would have preferred), I definitely notice an increase in visible damage now more in line with what one would expect. Seems the basic bullet damage *decals* appear more often now so you can ID damage to your own craft (and others) easier than before.

Very impressive!

Madmatt

p.s. Thanks HPW, when I get back from vacation (going to the Caribbean!) I will have a look at that sound and see what I can whip up for everyone.

Pleased you found it!

Guys all the new 'invincible' and 'air start' options are on the fly tick boxes - there will not be settings in the workshops for these as it something that you select as you feel it and depending on time pressures for that flight or if you want to simply practice - so no need to go to workshops or pilot dossiers to change your pilot... you can make the decision just before you click Fly!!

Finally if you do select invincible the flight is never logged - ever.

Cheers

WM

You give me the idea of us OFF fliers maybe sending a little wav file of ourselves and that be mixed/ combined to provide the din during briefings. Probably stupid, maybe too much trouble. Just a thought, but you are right. Sounds like a resteraunt with females in the mix.

It was a development placeholder that never got revisited (so much to do so little time situation) and yes if you turn the volume up you will hear that its a school hall :blink::dntknw: - but yes all sounds are user changeable in:

CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\ShellMusic

HTH

WM

That was exactly my point, what's to become of the Scramble Mission. I was relieved when I couldn't find it . . :biggrin:

If you do decide to select air start on a scramble mission you simply start nearer the enemy in the air... no difference.

The reason its in the briefing room is that the user can decide when he needs to use it - on the fly..

If you hate the idea.... then don't (do not) tick the box - some people asked for it and so we have provided it for folks that want it.

And we did it for P3 and not have everyone wait for P4.

HTH

WM