Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

The Davis Gun

Greetings All,

I had mentioned in stump-jumper's Caudron post that I had a photo of a G4 with an experimental mount of the Davis recoiless large bore gun, and was wondering how many of you had ever run across this particular weapon in your WW1 studies. If you are not familiar with it, here is an excellent article that covers it quite well:

The Davis Gun

There were certainly a lot of unusual ideas concerning aerial comabt that came out of this war. Necessity really is the mother of invention.

Cheers!

Lou

wondering how many of you had ever run across this particular weapon in your WW1 studies.

I'd heard of it before. It seems quite impractical, but that's with hindsight. When viewed in perspective of the contemporary airborne means of attacking U-boats, it actually appears to have some merit. In effect, it was the WW1 equivalent of the solid-slug rockets used in WW2 against U-boats. Those were considered better than small bombs, and WW1 bombs were smaller.

As far as impracticle goes how about the grappling hook idea early on. Lou I've seen a few pics now and then of the Davis. Always thought Ild like to have one in sim.

Yes Sir, it would be fun to have one of those fitted to an early RNAS seaplane and give a go at sub hunting. But I have so much still to learn and do with BHaH the way it is that it's not very pressing at the moment. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Sort of OT, but the recoilless rifle was carried to it's ultimate and somewhat excessive conclusion with the M-50 Ontos. It carried SIX 106mm recoilless rifles.

post-45761-1249859010_thumb.jpg

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Sort of OT, but the recoilless rifle was carried to it's ultimate and somewhat excessive conclusion with the M-50 Ontos. It carried SIX 106mm recoilless rifles.

Oo-Rah!

Unfortunately, that one doesn't have the sighting rifles on the recoiless rifles. And of course there was the problem of having to exit the vehicle to reload the big guns....

Edited by Bullethead