Sign in to follow this  
sitting_duck

superpatch

will try and quickly explain how superpatch and new options apply to mp pilots

the same problem with fov settings that occured with the "L" patch still apply with superpatch.

if a pilot changes fov settings in workshop, then they will modify the xdp files in their aircraft folder, and cause a mismatch when joining a game. It does not make a difference if everyone has the same fov setting. Its the time the files where created that causes the mismatch.

The superpatch puts new folders in your obd software\wwi scenery folder.

gallery_45808_317_13272.jpg

The default folder contains aircraft files that are stock to the superpatch.

The offline folder contains aircraft files that you want to use for single player

The online folder contains aircraft files that you want to use for mp.

After installing superpatch, only folder that has any files is default.

In workshop, lower left, there are new settings that contoll what files get into the online craft and offline craft folders, and how these files are loaded into the game.

gallery_45808_317_90266.jpg

If you click "backup as online", you will copy whatever xdp (and possibly other) files in your current aircraft directory to the "online craft" folder. Highly recommend all mp pilots do this right away.

Now, lets say you want to adjust your fov settings for single play. When done making your settings to fov, select "backup as offline", and it will copy the xdp files in your aircraft directory to the "offline craft" folder.

Now you have to set it up so when you get into a mp game, the game will automatically load the files in your "online craft" into your aircraft directory. If you click the radial "Auto MP Contol On", when ever you get into a mp game (ie,,whenever cfs3mp.exe is started), it will load up your "online craft" files into the aircraft directory.

Going to make an assumption on the "always/never autoback offline" I think what this does, if you exit cfs3.exe (single player executable), it will backup your current xdp files in your aircraft directory to the offline craft folder. So if you are constantly making changes to fov, you would want this setting on. Or, it could mean when you start a sp game, it takes the files from your online craft, and loads them to your aircraft directory. Kind of a "auto sp contol on"

So,,if you DO NOT change the fov settings, and never plan to change or adjust them, all you have to do (for safty sake) is a "backup as online", select "auto mp contol off", and select "never backup as offline"

as long as you dont fiddle with fov,,you will be ok.

If you want different fov settings for you single play modes, you have to set it up to reload the online files.

If you get really screwed up,,you can reload the files from your "off default" folder by hitting restore off default,,,

If i am wrong about any of this,,,dont hesitate to correct me.

hope this made sense,,,cause i didnt have a clue what it all did when we first got the beta.

Edited by sitting_duck

Hey Duck,

I've been using the beta version of this mod and I think you've got most of it just right. Excellent visual aids.

If pilots have just installed the superpatch, and haven't messed with FOV settings yet, then backing up their current aircraft files will create an online set of aircraft that uses the new DM models from the superpatch (I think this is the best plan, and if I'm understanding things correctly, the new DM includes stuff from these 3rd party DM mods). We may need Matt to modify his installer so that any new extra planes (besides the Zeppelin and Gotha) we want in MP get installed in this "online" directory (WW1Scenery/SPMP/OnlineCraft). Then setting the radio button to Auto MP Control On will install those aircraft every time we fly MP.

So, I think that if people click on the Backup as Online button right away, we will not lose our new aircraft. I've installed the Superpatch and have the Gotha and Zeppelin still in my aircraft directory. I imagine that the DM and FM have changed for only the default aircraft.

From my understanding of the beta text instructions, if the Auto Control is on, then when starting MP, it will look for a set of aircraft in the OnlineCraft folder. If there is a set, it will load it. If not, it will load aircraft from the Default set. When exiting MP it will load the offline set if it exists.

So if we don't click Backup as Online right away, then when we enter MP for the first time, the default set of aircraft will be loaded (without the Gotha and Zeppelin).

The AutoBackup setting works like this:

If Always is chosen: The manager will always auto backup current aircraft config files to the 'Offline set' before putting in the 'Online set' - best option to have if the user changes FOV etc offline often. This will happen as long as 1) Auto MP control is on.

If Never is chosen: The manager will not backup to the 'Offline set' but will load the Online set going to MP and will try to reload the 'Offline set' that was already in the OfflineCraft folder upon exiting MP if existing as long as 1) Auto MP Control is on. This may be an older set that doesn't reflect any FOV changes since the last time the Offline set was manually backed up with the button below these options in Workshops.

I think the best bet for MP players is to set this to Always, so that whatever set of aircraft they have in their SP offline game will be backed up automatically when they start MP and will be restored when they leave it.

EDIT:

Duck and Ax and I just tested with the superpatch. There were a few strange issues, but the bottom line seems to be that everyone should go to the Workshops after installing the Superpatch, and Backup as Online their current aircraft. Then, as long as you don't change any settings to the current aircraft (no FOV changes, for instance) you can join MP with either Autocontrol on or off. If you have Autocontrol on, but haven't backed up your current aircraft as an online set, you will get a mismatch. If you have Autocontrol on, I would recommend Always Backup is checked as well. This will insure that your most current set of offline craft (with whatever changes) is the set that is reinstalled after the MP session. If you don't ever change your aircraft, this won't matter, and you have no reason to have Autocontrol on either.

We also tested the new DM. If the host uses normal strength, then the planes are almost impossible to shoot down. I poured more than 600 rounds into Duck several times from close range while he flew straight and level and saw pieces flying off his plane but he kept on flying. Aside from the not inconsiderable pleasure of shooting at Duck with that many bullets, I think this isn't a workable damage envelope for MP. We tested the strong setting and damage was much more reasonable and planes were able to be dispatched with a normal number of rounds.

Hope that's at least semi-clear.

Edited by griphos

Here's a shot of you after 700 rounds, Duck. You still couldn't see any flames, right?

post-45854-1249948494_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot of me after I landed after getting shot up by you. After I landed, I caught on fire. I kind of like how the pilot is silhouetted by the flames in this shot!

post-45854-1249948570_thumb.jpg

hmmm,, nope,,,never saw a thing.....

Been busy lately but every time I check in here, there is some new something or other patch and conflict for multiplayer. Multiplayer is all I am interested in but this is really turning me off. I think I will just cool it for awhile until a consensus is made. I have done so many patches, then removing files and such that I have no idea where I am with this any longer..Maybe I should just re-install the program and start fresh..But, not until a consensus is determined. Have enough complexity in my life without getting into all this..compliments to the folks hanging in there testing everything though. I will monitor every now and then to see what is going on. joker.

Been busy lately but every time I check in here, there is some new something or other patch and conflict for multiplayer. Multiplayer is all I am interested in but this is really turning me off. I think I will just cool it for awhile until a consensus is made. I have done so many patches, then removing files and such that I have no idea where I am with this any longer..Maybe I should just re-install the program and start fresh..But, not until a consensus is determined. Have enough complexity in my life without getting into all this..compliments to the folks hanging in there testing everything though. I will monitor every now and then to see what is going on. joker.

THAT'S TWO! :salute:

I suspect it's been a combination of people trying to establish MP on a firm footing whilst variosu different damage models have been floating around - difficult to manage, hence a measure of chaos!

My suggestion at this point is this:

MP should only be flown now with vanilla but up to date - ie, V1.32 - systems. If there is then an agreement on what will be the simplest configuration within Workshop (ie, no f***ing about necessary), then surely all the mismatches and all that nonsense will become history fairly quick.

How do people feel about this?

I think I already upgraded to 1.32c.

Beard

So have I, but we've found that these latest patches don't affect MP games. Last Sunday we had people flying together with a combination of versions without issue; one with 1.32, others with 1.32a and 1.32b.

I don't think 1.32c is going to make any difference.

Vasco :pilotfly:

So have I, but we've found that these latest patches don't affect MP games. Last Sunday we had people flying together with a combination of versions without issue; one with 1.32, others with 1.32a and 1.32b.

I don't think 1.32c is going to make any difference.

May I ask then what effect version 1.32e will have? I am still in the loop but for various reason of frustration with too many patches and versions, busy with my work, too hot in the house where my gaming computer is, and downright enjoying the summer weather has taken my attention.

When I do return however, what the heck should I do:

Fortiesboy, yes or no?

Damage models, yes or no?

XML files remove or leave? yes or no?

1.32e? yes or no?

Put my backed up folder of stock aircraft back in? yes or no?

All those custom missions, cloud turbulence, Mad Matt's, Gotha????????l Yes or No?

Ditch the entire game and start with a fresh install?????????? sigh............

Joker

Just install 1.32e Joker. We're all working with the stock damage model.

Just install 1.32e Joker. We're all working with the stock damage model.

Ok Vasco..that seems easy enough.Thanks.

From a session today with axe and dutch, (just played with dutch the other day, and he mismatched after installing 1.32e) going to suggest settings that will help eliminate mismatchs for mp pilots. Keep in mind, these are only for pilots who dont fiddle with fov settings. If you have a need to change your fov, you will need a different setup

mp control OFF selected.

never backup offline selected.

click on restore defaults, and let it do the restore. Say yes when it promts to backup as offline,,and say yes when it says to backup to online.

this should bring you to the point where all your folders have the default aircraft files, and should allow you into games without mismatchs.

From a session today with axe and dutch, (just played with dutch the other day, and he mismatched after installing 1.32e) going to suggest settings that will help eliminate mismatchs for mp pilots. Keep in mind, these are only for pilots who dont fiddle with fov settings. If you have a need to change your fov, you will need a different setup

mp control OFF selected.

never backup offline selected.

click on restore defaults, and let it do the restore. Say yes when it promts to backup as offline,,and say yes when it says to backup to online.

this should bring you to the point where all your folders have the default aircraft files, and should allow you into games without mismatchs.

One more thing prevented me from online play today.....tried usual Teamspeak and double checked IP as per the Turorial numbers...Would not connect.

Joker

One more thing prevented me from online play today.....tried usual Teamspeak and double checked IP as per the Turorial numbers...Would not connect.

Joker

tried it again....not working

tried it again....not working

Tinkered with it...now working....didn't put my nickname in I guess. Seems it changed or something from the last time I was on. Seems ok now though..Will try again when folks may be on playing..later.

Joker

or as said in the US Northeast......JOKA