Sign in to follow this  
Fawlty

Just ordered

Was doing some catching up with OFF tonight, reading about the new patch on simhq, decided I can't hold off any longer, and just placed my order.

I know there's some info about removing Phase 2 (modded Boy's of 60) version from my HD but I can't remember where to look.

I want to get things cleaned up before the dvd arrives and do a fresh install.

Cheers Guy's

Fawlty

Edited by Fawlty56

What took you so long, Fawlty?

Welcome to the 'real' thing! Phase 2 is not really what you will get now - it will be much tougher.

This ain't no game anymore - this is pretty realistic.

I hope you'll like it as much as I do.

I have put your name into the OFF Pilots map, okay?

Welcome aboard! New guy buys the drinks :drinks_drunk:

My copy arrived in the post this afternoon much to my disgust as i was just heading out to go to work, So I now have to wait til 7am before I can give it all a try.

Excellent service btw. less than a week since i put my order in to it arriving...my thanks to the despatchers.

edited to add....dont think ill be getting much sleep tomorrow :)

Edited by saltysplash

Calm down a bit, salty - it will need some time anyway, until you will last longer than just 2 hours.

Best to read the FAQs and the Tips in the sticky, for some advice and hints.

Calm down a bit, salty - it will need some time anyway, until you will last longer than just 2 hours.

Good advice to be sure Salty this sim is a deep one. Welcome aboard. :clapping:

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Welcome to our ranks Fawlty. I installed over P2 with nary a problem. Vista 32 Nvidea 9300m. I was not modded though. You are in for a new experience when the disk arrives.

Ive got all night to catch up on the reading providing work doesnt get in the way, so ill hopefully be well briefed when it comes to installing in the morning.

still cant wait though :biggrin:

Welcome aboard Fawlty

OFF BHH is a complete new experience from P2

Had to change my whole flying concept to survive

Still haven't made 17 hrs yet ...but having a ball o' fun trying

Had no problems installing over P2

Good Luck,

Fawlty and Salty:

Welcome to the front! Watch out for Archie, take good notes, and be ready to share your victories!

...and yes: New guys buy the drinks! :taunt:

Duce, love your shot of Raymond Collishaw. His birthplace about a hours drive north of me on Vancouver Island and as far as I'm concerned the greatest of the Canadian aces.

Thanks for the welcome back guys,I was just thinking I've had OFF 1/2 and soon 3 on various computers ( I'm always upgrading)since the day it was release. I believe if memory serves me right, Christmas time about 3 or 4 years ago.

Olham, not sure what the "pilots map" is but I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm basically a online coop player hence my association with the Boy's of 60.

I'm not buying BHAH for flying online though, it's strictly for the campaign and I am very much looking forward to it.

I'm off to check out the FAQ about full removal of the OFF 2, want to start out clean.

I sure don't mind buying drinks all around, but I don't really consider myself as being a new guy.

Cheers

Fawlty

Edited by Fawlty56

Fawlty and Salty:

Welcome to the front! Watch out for Archie, take good notes, and be ready to share your victories!

...and yes: New guys buy the drinks! :taunt:

Thanks for the welcome, like Fawlty im here for the campaign.

Does the model allow you to choose a Sqdn and see it through to the armistice? My intention is to stick with 1 and if my current pilot bites the dust his replacement will be fresh from flying school and so continue the war from that point so it will be DID.

Does the Campaign allow you to enter from specific dates?

Cheers

Does the model allow you to choose a Sqdn and see it through to the armistice? My intention is to stick with 1 and if my current pilot bites the dust his replacement will be fresh from flying school and so continue the war from that point so it will be DID.

Cheers

1) Yes if all the planes that squad used have been created

2) Yes to a point, there are many dates you can enlist at

Welcome to OFF Salty!

Duce, love your shot of Raymond Collishaw. His birthplace about a hours drive north of me on Vancouver Island and as far as I'm concerned the greatest of the Canadian aces.

Thanks, when I saw his picture, he looked like such a nice guy, I had to choose him

Think I remember you relating that story back at SM-OH

Glad to have you back,

Cheers

saltysplash,

Welcome to OFF. In answer to your question, you will be asked to enlist a pilot. Choices are British, German, French, American. Next choice is Fighter or bomber. Then squadron. Once you scroll through squadrons, each squadron has the entire conflict's list of machines used by that squadron. So you may wish to fly (for example) a Sopwith Triplane. You can choose a squadron that used that aircraft if you know off hand...for example, you know RNAS 8 Sqn used it. You can then scroll down to that Sqn and select it. Alternatively, you can scroll through every British Sqn and see the compliment of aircraft they used during the war. You might see something like "Aircraft used: Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, Nieuport 17, Sopwith Pup, Sopwith Triplane, Sopwith Camel"...you decide that you like those aircraft, and choose that squadron. You then are asked WHEN you wish to join that squadron. You can choose to enlist in 1918, and jump straight into a camel cockpit, or choose the earliest date that you can join that squadron, and you will be told that on that date, that particular squadron was based at (for instance) Vert Galant on that date, and was equipped with a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter. If you don't like that aerodrome (if say for instance, you feel it's too far from the action), you can choose an earlier or later date, or you may select another squadron with a similar aircraft use. It's all your choice.

Now you enlist a pilot in a particular squadron on a particular date, be told where they are based, and what aircraft they were flying at that time. Depending on your flying skills, and if you choose to fly cautiously or aggressively, your enlisted pilot may survive a few hours, or even more. If he was successful in combat, upon return to his aerodrome, he will be presented with a Claim Form. If he fills it out with sufficient information to corroborate his claim (Number and type of aircraft destroyed, time, location, names of witnesses etc). Depending on whether you have chosen "easy - no claims" or Normal claims and promotions etc, you might receive recognition of your claims and be credited with a victory. If your wingmates did not return from the flight, your claim MAY be rejected for lack of witnesses.

If you choose normal difficulty, there is a chance your pilot may be killed in combat. There is no going back...no choice given to you "Would you like to save this mission?"...you choose "No", and you re-fly it until he survives. He is dead. You suggested that you wish to fly with one squadron for the entire conflict. You can then enlist another pilot in that squadron during that time period (the time period when you choose to join a squadron are basically one month periods). You might not be able to enlist a new pilot that walks in to the squadron ready room on the day that your original pilot dies, but certainly within the same month. And there you have it.

In the latest version of OFF: BHaH (version 1.32), you have the choice to select "Pilot Never Dies". In this case, you may be felled in combat on (for instance) 1st February, and you will be told that you have sustained serious injury and will be hospitalised for 24 days. Time automatically advances and then you are told that 24 days has passed, you're fit for duty. You will be ordered to the duty room for a brief on your next mission. If shot down on the other side of the lines, you may sustain injury and after you recuperate, you escape.

So in "Pilot Never Dies" (PND), you can get shot down, have your wings sheer off in a dive, crash into another plane, fail missions, etc, and get to continue your pilot's career, though losing time due to captivity, wounds, etc.

You still have to learn to fly (tho you'll likely already be quite adept) and earn your victories, but you wont have to keep remaking pilots, choosing their squadron, dates, etc, etc, ad infinitum.

Edited by Broadside uda Barn

saltysplash,

Welcome to OFF. In answer to your question, you will be asked to enlist a pilot. Choices are British, German, French, American. Next choice is Fighter or bomber. Then squadron. Once you scroll through squadrons, each squadron has the entire conflict's list of machines used by that squadron. So you may wish to fly (for example) a Sopwith Triplane. You can choose a squadron that used that aircraft if you know off hand...for example, you know RNAS 8 Sqn used it. You can then scroll down to that Sqn and select it. Alternatively, you can scroll through every British Sqn and see the compliment of aircraft they used during the war. You might see something like "Aircraft used: Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter, Nieuport 17, Sopwith Pup, Sopwith Triplane, Sopwith Camel"...you decide that you like those aircraft, and choose that squadron. You then are asked WHEN you wish to join that squadron. You can choose to enlist in 1918, and jump straight into a camel cockpit, or choose the earliest date that you can join that squadron, and you will be told that on that date, that particular squadron was based at (for instance) Vert Galant on that date, and was equipped with a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter. If you don't like that aerodrome (if say for instance, you feel it's too far from the action), you can choose an earlier or later date, or you may select another squadron with a similar aircraft use. It's all your choice.

Now you enlist a pilot in a particular squadron on a particular date, be told where they are based, and what aircraft they were flying at that time. Depending on your flying skills, and if you choose to fly cautiously or aggressively, your enlisted pilot may survive a few hours, or even more. If he was successful in combat, upon return to his aerodrome, he will be presented with a Claim Form. If he fills it out with sufficient information to corroborate his claim (Number and type of aircraft destroyed, time, location, names of witnesses etc). Depending on whether you have chosen "easy - no claims" or Normal claims and promotions etc, you might receive recognition of your claims and be credited with a victory. If your wingmates did not return from the flight, your claim MAY be rejected for lack of witnesses.

If you choose normal difficulty, there is a chance your pilot may be killed in combat. There is no going back...no choice given to you "Would you like to save this mission?"...you choose "No", and you re-fly it until he survives. He is dead. You suggested that you wish to fly with one squadron for the entire conflict. You can then enlist another pilot in that squadron during that time period (the time period when you choose to join a squadron are basically one month periods). You might not be able to enlist a new pilot that walks in to the squadron ready room on the day that your original pilot dies, but certainly within the same month. And there you have it.

In the latest version of OFF: BHaH (version 1.32), you have the choice to select "Pilot Never Dies". In this case, you may be felled in combat on (for instance) 1st February, and you will be told that you have sustained serious injury and will be hospitalised for 24 days. Time automatically advances and then you are told that 24 days has passed, you're fit for duty. You will be ordered to the duty room for a brief on your next mission. If shot down on the other side of the lines, you may sustain injury and after you recuperate, you escape.

Many thanks for that,

You have described exactly what i hoped, sticking with 1 sqdn till the duration and playing each pilot 'DID'

All I need to do now is decide on a 2 seater or scout sqdn

I think a 12 hr night shift has made me tired, Ive just made a fatal error and installed OFF, then unzipped the super patch, then unzipped the mini patch without installing the superpatch TUT!!!

Ive now uninstalled the whole lot and trying again.....or maybe i should get some sleep first :blink:

Naaaaaa :biggrin:

edited for Speeling due to fat fingers

Edited by saltysplash