Sign in to follow this  
Broadside uda Barn

The new patch DM is

Check this out. Here's a pic of his plane and something that fell out, close up of the object shows it's his motor! I really peppered this guy, and I saw something come out, I thought it was the pilot since the plane was on fire.

OBD, did you make the DM so that even the engine could fall out?

simply WOW!

post-51131-1249975834_thumb.jpg

post-51131-1249975843_thumb.jpg

Winder, Pol, OVs, anyone? is that an engine?

Yep

HTH

WM

argh, Winder, you spoiled it. I was just about to say: No, it's the refrigerator from our Albatros - we prefer our beer cold.

I HAD A PROP FLY OFF A D7 DURING A DOGFIGHT ONCE!

Ahem...I hate to do that uh....I have seen engines popping out in flames from aircraft since P2.

Sorry....! :ph34r:

And the damage caused by the new flak accuracy...

Was gonna try out busting a balloon with the new mini-patch fixes just to see and suddenly-BOOM!! Direct hit that literally knocked my engine right out of my plane...still running! :haha: And they say they're making improvements still to the DM and Damage visuals? :blink: This is fantastic!

post-48920-1250072976_thumb.jpg

post-48920-1250073018_thumb.jpg

post-48920-1250073060_thumb.jpg

I could've still landed that one. :wink::no:

ZZ.

And they say they're making improvements still to the DM and Damage visuals? :blink: This is fantastic!

How did you get the game to keep running that long after you were dead? I've always wanted to take pics like these, but as soon as I die or my plane becomes unflyable, the mission ends.

Check this out. Here's a pic of his plane and something that fell out, close up of the object shows it's his motor! I really peppered this guy, and I saw something come out, I thought it was the pilot since the plane was on fire.

OBD, did you make the DM so that even the engine could fall out?

simply WOW!

Hmm

Don't want to be a curmudgeonly curmudgeon or anything like that, but is this really realistic?

After all, engines in the aircraft of this period were probably the most securely attached item in the whole airframe. After almost 50 years of reading all kinds of WW1 aviation literature, I have never yet read a single reference to anyone's engine falling out. Guns, seat cushions, bars of chocolate, observers, whole wings, yes, and some ac (eg DH2) did have a distressing habit of shedding the occasional cylinder, but never a whole _engine_.

For me this therefore seems a disturbingly arcadish diversion to what is otherwise the most realistic WW1 sim ever. Is there any way this "option" can be switched off?

Mike

If it can't be turned off Mike maybe you will never see it anyway. Have you seen it so far? Prolly not. Maybe it was being transported to another airfield and was not secured. Just one of those things maybe.

Actually Mike, I think I have read something to that extent....now look what you've done. I'm compelled to go find it. I'll tell you what though, with an explosion,and or enough rounds slammed into an engine compartment, this result is quite possible. Not all the time though....but in extreme occaisions.

ZZ.

For me this therefore seems a disturbingly arcadish diversion to what is otherwise the most realistic WW1 sim ever. Is there any way this "option" can be switched off?

I've seen numerous photos of B-17s that came home minus entire engines, and I'd wager they were more solidly attached to the airframes than in any WW1 kite :biggrin: . In a WW1 plane, no matter what the engine mounts are made of, eventually something's attached to a piece of wood.

In all the hundreds of OFF planes I've seen shot down, I've only noticed them lose their engines a couple of times, so it's not that big a deal.

I've seen a huge number of planes shot down in OFF (and have been shot down myself just about as many times), but I don't recall ever seeing an engine break loose from the airframe. I've been seeing some more burning crates after the superpatch, but not a single loose engine. So I think it can't be all that common to really worry about it.

How did you get the game to keep running that long after you were dead? I've always wanted to take pics like these, but as soon as I die or my plane becomes unflyable, the mission ends.

Hi there BH. Well, I guess you could say perfect timing. I hit pause as soon as I saw my nose explode in front of me then went to external view to investigate and take the screenies. I tried unpausing for only a sec to get a different angle, but then I was immediately taken back to the QC screen.

I do kinda miss the after crash animation TBH