Sign in to follow this  
ordway

Mig-23MLD Cockpit (Ultimate, final Mig-23 version-1982) with working Mig-23MLD HUDV1.3

Mig-23MLD Cockpit (Ultimate, final Mig-23 version-1982) with working Mig-23MLD HUDV1.3

This is the Mig-23MLD cockpit. The Mig-23MLD was the "ultimate" and last version Mig-23 released starting in 1982. I added quite a few changes compared to the earlier ones including a new HUD from Starfighter 2 and Lindr2, a new cockpit color and changed the gunsight around to match photos better. It now has two new knobs on it according to photos.

So the late Mig-23MLD was quite a cooker too. It was lighter than earlier versions (to dogfight better) and finally added chaff and flares (most sources state, however, that it had no on-board ECM. However on-board ECM was added to the ground attack version- the Mig-27K). Apparently a prototype "Mig-23MLDG" had on-board ECM, so as usual things get cloudy with this airplane. According to Nele, some airframes of the MLD did have the SPS-141 onboard ecm jammer.

The MiG-23MLD was the most advanced version of the Flogger. It had a different identification-friend-or-foe system (IFF), a more advanced missile capability and a distinctive notch in the leading edge of the wing to improve flight characteristics at high angles of attack.

The flight-control system was modified to improve handling and safety in high-AoA maneuvers (dogfighting). Huge imrovements were made in avionics and survivability: the Sapfir-23MLA-II radar featured improved modes for look-down/shoot-down and close-in fighting. A new SPO-15L radar warning receiver was installed, along with chaff/flare dispensers. The new and effective R-73 (NATO: AA-11 'Archer') short-range air-to-air missile was added to inventory.

They were apparently produced between 1982-85 during the cold war years and would have been available for the "Ronney the Ray-gun" era. They were not produced new but were upgrades to existing 'ML/MLA' versions.

V 1.3 I added knobs to under some warning lights. I took out the provisions for an onboard SPS-141 ECM as some airframes had them and others not (mostly not). I added an optional accurate flight model (Nele's) and optional Gardeniya external ECM pod. I added Nele's more accurate avionics.ini.

Thanks Ordway, for both Flogger pits and the great explanation.

Looks like another couple of designers must be decorated by the West for producing such a "difficult"plane

(except for the MLD probably) which, in combination with the standards of training of the average Warpac pilot , resulted in a not so dangerous adversary for our Cold War pilots..... : :blink:

Hou doe,

Derk :smile:

Nice work!

A possible issue: if by 'ECM' you mean an onboard jammer, there's no provision for one in your cockpit package. I don't know whether that was intentional or not.

Edited by Tristan

Nice work!

A possible issue: if by 'ECM' you mean an onboard jammer, there's no provision for one in your cockpit package. I don't know whether that was intentional or not.

I am just working on the cockpits right now. I use other people's published- on- combatace avionics.ini and cockpit.ini files- Mirage factory, Starfighter, Lindr2 etc. These Mig-23/27 cockpits are just swamping me -(12- or so). You are right that it needs ecm in many cases.

I also think severe work needs to be done on most Mig-23 flight models to dumb the hel_ out of them- (the sfp1 versions seem currently to maneuver like F-5s in a fight)...however Gephard did the flight model (well I think) on his Mig-23 MK carrier version downloadable at:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...amp;hl=mig-23mk

The Mig-23s could barely get out of their own way if they maneuvered according to all the information I have although they had exceptional acceleration, climb and speed: Flight test links:

http://www.warbirdsofdelaware.com/Airplane...87/Default.aspx

F-18.http://quicklink.all.googlepages.com/mig23.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=6yJ8gfVAm...lt&resnum=4

http://dewarbirdracing.com/Airplanes/MiG23...87/Default.aspx

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%200508.html

I think we need people to work on the avionics as well as the flght models.

Maybe I will make some mig-23 flight models someday.

Hey, why are people getting so pissed off at me. All I do is make the cockpits and try to make them flyable using already published .inis and obviously you use other people's flight models.

Remember, I am publishing the *cockpits* in the "cockpit" section...not the ".ini", or complete "aircraft", etc. section. If you have a problem with the avionics.ini, or flight model, they're not mine...frankly I have a lot of problems with them too...but I have to include them just so my cockpits will work and you don't have to hunt all over combatace or the Internet to get the missing components.

I know it is frustating for you, but it is frustrating for me as well.

Edited by ordway

Ordway --

I'll add the ECM to my own MiG if I think it's warranted. I was just trying to clear up what seemed to be an inconsistency between your initial product description and the actual contents of your download package. But, at any rate, it certainly isn't any big deal to me.

Edited by Tristan