Are there any major differences between SFP2 Vietnam and WOV and similarly SFP2 Europe and WOE? Apart from the obvious Vista compatability, is there anything significant in terms of graphics/flight models etc.

According to thirdwire, they've added different variants of some of the aircraft, so there are now more versions of the F-8 and A-7 for example, but do they actually handle differently? I'm trying to justify buying and downloading the new 2nd generation sims, since I'm running XP and already own all the others and I don't want to buy the new ones to discover that they're just the same as what I already have.

Are there any major differences between SFP2 Vietnam and WOV and similarly SFP2 Europe and WOE? Apart from the obvious Vista compatability, is there anything significant in terms of graphics/flight models etc.

According to thirdwire, they've added different variants of some of the aircraft, so there are now more versions of the F-8 and A-7 for example, but do they actually handle differently? I'm trying to justify buying and downloading the new 2nd generation sims, since I'm running XP and already own all the others and I don't want to buy the new ones to discover that they're just the same as what I already have.

There is a great comparison table somewhere. Differences between games are brillantly showed, but I do not remember where it lies and if it has been updated.

So, basically:

-New planes

-Better avionics

-New eye candies

-New files architecture

I personnaly wait for a new computer before bying the games, but if you can afford it, buy them! I bought all the previous generation ones, even if I was less interested in WoV, just to support TK.

There is a great comparison table somewhere. Differences between games are brillantly showed, but I do not remember where it lies and if it has been updated.

So, basically:

-New planes

-Better avionics

-New eye candies

-New files architecture

I personnaly wait for a new computer before bying the games, but if you can afford it, buy them! I bought all the previous generation ones, even if I was less interested in WoV, just to support TK.

Just to add

-No multiplayer for the new series. But who's playing multiplayer anyway?

-Additional variants of existing planes usually have different avionics and countermeasure setup.

having both on my laptop at the moment i would say SF2E looks a lot sharper than WOE. i am able to play both on my vista 32 system but gen1 looks more like watching a tv show from the 70s early 80s and gen2 is like watching 24 in HD. and thats with a system thats a little too low end for the HDR mods! as for the modding i have no clue what to do making brand new aircraft or campaigns. with gen 1 that puts me SOL but by following the directions in the knowledge base and scanning the threads for useful info i've transformed about 6 aircraft and skins from gen1 to gen2 over the last month. if you can tell by my post i'm not the most technical guy here but SF2E looks and behaves better on my system and there for the most part seems to be more possibilties with it.

@jomni one of two reasons WOE isn't retired of my system is multiplayer with my soldiers here in afghan.

the other is awaiting NF4+ :biggrin:

As much as i want to get the updated versions, i'll have to wait until i get a new computer. My current one is pretty much at it's limits.

Heres one i wrote earlier

all the cockpits are new higher poly count ones - you get 3 different pits for F-100 alone - all have more funtionality. The RHAW code has been totally rewritten to a vector type display AN/APR-25(V) and IP-957/APR-36(V) - the squares are long gone.

Most of the 3D models have been reworked and the skins are higher res not least more improvements in graphics (for DX10) and more AI work.

New 3D models are included for the A-7C/D/E with pits and the A-1H/J and most of the F-8 versions are there now.

Please to see he's made the loadouts more realistic in regards to ECM pods and has added an ALQ-101 out of the box.

The new file system is ace - keeps the core files separate meaning newbies are less likely to delete dlls etc - and the ability to merge the whole lot means patching once for all the SF2 installs - if you like that sort of thing.

Thanks for all the responses. Due to real-life cashflow issues, I've decided not to buy them for the time being. I like the prospect of sharper graphics and a higher poly count, but I'll probably need to build a new computer or upgrade my existing machine first.

From what MigBuster's said, has the A-1 Skyraider been released as an official aircraft?

has the A-1 Skyraider been released as an official aircraft?

It's official but "unflyable". AI only, and simplified.

Um, excuse me, but there ARE people playing multiplay. You just don't hear anything about it because you guys have effectively silenced and excluded them. But they still make a huge impact in these sims because the are NOT buying into them, and telling those in the multiplay community to stay AWAY from them. Not the wisest thing to do guys. This hurts sales, hurts TK, and hurts those doing mods because it's drastically reducing their exposure to the simming community. Case in point, just drop into any of the multiplay game communities and listen to what's being said. I only hope someday this will all change.

Um, excuse me, but there ARE people playing multiplay. You just don't hear anything about it because you guys have effectively silenced and excluded them. But they still make a huge impact in these sims because the are NOT buying into them, and telling those in the multiplay community to stay AWAY from them. Not the wisest thing to do guys. This hurts sales, hurts TK, and hurts those doing mods because it's drastically reducing their exposure to the simming community. Case in point, just drop into any of the multiplay game communities and listen to what's being said. I only hope someday this will all change.

Well, i've played WoV Multy-player for years, but i really gave up.... its deffinatelly terrible IMO.

if it at least give the single player gameplay....but it does not,and again, IMO an acceptable Gameplay would be the IL-2 one, but as we know IL-2 isn't one open architeture game :( i hope TK implement a decent MP with SF2:I because it was an internse air combat OT.

if TK wants implement it, the time is now, but i would hold my breath for it, unfortunately.

Edited by Silverbolt

There is only one person who has excluded the MP community. That was accomplished by not including it in the SF2 engine. I call that a self inflicted wound. For whatever reason that was done, the blame lies there and not with this community.

Sorry - who exactly are you replying to here?? - or is it just an excuse to launch a totally pointless rant over nothing - and not only that but blame people on here.....for silencing them - wtf!!! - thats news to me!!!!

Every one has a choice of whether they wish to play MP or not - the new series doesn't have MP due to the reasons stipulated by TK on his forums - he is well aware that some people like MP and wont buy the games because of this. Maybe MP will be added with a later patch - maybe it wont - he has his business plan and he is sticking to it.

The MP people can advertise the servers they use all they like on any forum cant they - theres even a virtual squadron forum on here for MP players - shout as loud as you like! - there must be plenty of other MP players out there to join you.

There is only one person who has excluded the MP community. That was accomplished by not including it in the SF2 engine. I call that a self inflicted wound. For whatever reason that was done, the blame lies there and not with this community.

Exactily. The community has dick to with the MP of this sim. TK removed MP, thus that removed the MP community. So no one has silenced it, but him.

If You want MP back....Call Bill Gates. He's the Cog in the Wheel........Not TK. He has much said so.......