Sign in to follow this  
BigJim

Archie seems alittle too good

I have lost 2 pilots now to Archie, always just before I am about to complete a mission (balloon busting), I also lost one to Archie who was just about to hit his 17 hours :blink: these "features" are starting to get old for me, there may not be an algorythm to kill pilots but it sure "feels" that way :wink: (its why I have always disliked AI type games because I am never sure if I screwed up or just got computerized :biggrin: )

The AI EIII's are still doing stuff that cannot be duplicated by a player and still remain flying (it stuff like this that kills the emmersion for me)

On a to be fair note I am having the same problems with RoF since they "tweaked" their AI into deadshots who never miss.

I have lost 2 pilots now to Archie, always just before I am about to complete a mission (balloon busting), I also lost one to Archie who was just about to hit his 17 hours :blink: these "features" are starting to get old for me, there may not be an algorythm to kill pilots but it sure "feels" that way :wink: (its why I have always disliked AI type games because I am never sure if I screwed up or just got computerized :biggrin: )

The AI EIII's are still doing stuff that cannot be duplicated by a player and still remain flying (it stuff like this that kills the emmersion for me)

On a to be fair note I am having the same problems with RoF since they "tweaked" their AI into deadshots who never miss.

If you lost 2 pilots to AA when they were attacking a balloon, thats about as dangerous a duty in the air as there is, short of attacking an airfield. Balloons = observation which helps the enemy direct artillery fire and even check for changes in enemy strength and position. All that kind of stuff being extremely important to helping win the war, both sides usually put a very nasty amount of AA protection around their balloons to discourage exactly the kind of attacks you were making. If you flew in without jinking your plane around so you could get a bead on the balloon, then you just made it that much easier for AA to peg you too. Besides, the enemy below knows the height of their balloon which makes determining your height relative to their observation balloon that much easier. It's all working against you on a balloon attack. War is hell precisely because it isn't fair.

May I suggest the PND (Pilot Never Dies) option that was so thoughtfully put forth by Broadside earlier in another post. As for the EIIIs, I couldn't say really because I rarely fly that early in the war. I'm a 1917 - 1918 kinda guy myself. Anyways, sorry to hear of your AI troubles with both games.

Hellshade

BigJim, you can put AA fire to easy. You must really zigzag on a balloon attack, cause they have

ground crew with machine guns, and Flak/Archie - and they desperately defend their balloons.

The Eindecker's performance was criticised two or three times now. So I climbed one and played

the veteran pilot. And really - when you do the right things, the crate can turn better than I thought.

I shot down a Bristol Scout; next attempt a Nieuport Bebe - you have to wring it out of the Eindecker,

but it can be really dangerous!

Errr. workshop.... options.. :)

:rofl: Never post when you have just died

I agree, the ground fire is just too much with the new patch. It's either a mistake or they've gone way overboard on this feature. This was my favorite sim until the superpatch, now.... not so much. It's going to be hard to cough up the $$$ for the planes pack if I'm no longer enjoying the game because of this.

I agree, the ground fire is just too much with the new patch. It's either a mistake or they've gone way overboard on this feature. This was my favorite sim until the superpatch, now.... not so much. It's going to be hard to cough up the $$ for the planes pack if I'm no longer enjoying the game because of this.

Good grief we have not even got any addons out yet - are you guys for real or Trolls.

Have you tried the options in workshops yet or are you going to keep bleating?

Have you started a poll?

Lemme guess if you post this in enough threads we might be forced to change it yeah?

Nope.

If guys want to shoot balloons down and not ever get hit by the archie underneath - select PND.

Or Fly FSX - I believe you never die in that sim.

:rofl:

WM

Haven't really strafed any balloons as of yet cause I'm busy dealing with some computer issues unrelated to OFF. But I find (so far) the amount of AA to be more realistic. As was mentioned here before, these targets were taken on with EXTREME trepidation by any pilot and was considered a feat for just these reasons. You are flying into a pre-prepared and vectored off murder hole. How did you attack? Did you go traipsing in like it was Sunday morning? Or dive from 5000 feet straight in in a single tearing pass and jink like mad to make your escape? Again, my experience so far is limited so once I have more time under my belt, I may be able to forward a more qualified response as to the Accuracy of the AA. The amount that I've seen looks right. The accuracy...I haven't determined yet. If however they are hitting your flights AC on normal flights more than once every blue moon, that may be a bit to good. Then again.......thats why the wonderful Dev's created selective options. Adjust to your hearts content....and enjoy. Shouldn't ruin anything for you.

ZZ.

Edited by zoomzoom

I've done a lot of flying since 1.32 came out and haven't had a problem with AA fire.

Flak bursts now seem a bit more numerous, IN CERTAIN PLACES, then before, but that's realistic. Some paces had dozens of guns. The bursts are usually slightly closer than before, but I've only been winged once and wasn't seriously damaged. Weaving might help, but so far I haven't felt the need. I'm not afraid of the bursting shells, at least not yet.

AAMGs are a different story. Those are what get you most of the time, but the have a very short range, so are easy to avoid by staying above 1000 feet or so. This is actually a huge improvement over what went before. Several patches before 1.32, AAMGs reached up to 3-4000 feet or so and never missed. I saw entire formations of bombers shot down 1 after the other before I could get close enough to shoot one myself. That doens't happen anymore, definitely not in 1.32. The AAMGs will still get you if you give them the chance, but they now have much shorter range, shoot in shorter bursts, and don't hit as often. Thus, it's not suicide to fly within their range anymore, at least for short periods, although you'll probably be hit and might be shot down. That seems realistic to me.

In WW1, attacking balloons and ground targets was highly dangerous, due to all the AAMGs down there. Thus, very few people went after balloons, and squadrons on ground attack duty suffered horrendous losses. I just read a book by a Camel driver who got shot down by AAMGs 3 times in 9 days, and he only flew on 4 or 5 of those days because of the time required to walk home.

If you want to kill balloons, the best way is to fly high above them then dive down steeply. You need to catch them at high altitude, while they're still above AAMG range. If you don't kill the balloon on your 1st pass, you MIGHT be able to make another, if the balloon is still high enough. But never make a 3rd pass, and never attack at all if the balloon is at about 1500 feet or lower. Hanging around within AAMG range is just asking to be shot down.

All that said, I have noticed that in 1.32, there's no longer a workshop option just for AA guns. The only setting that claims to affect AA fire is "AI Gun Range", which affects both air and ground weapons. But I'm not having any problem with AA fire, so I don't feel the need to mess with this, especially if it affects airplanes as well.

What Bullethead said :)

I assume you bob and weave? If not why not?

That's what pilots did especially over very fiercely defended areas like balloons.

Pilots quite often, would sometimes, being a war on, die. Pilots that flew in busy, well protected areas, especially later on, would die more.

However if you don't want to die or you want to win the war, which is fine, simply select an EASIER option for ground fire in Workshop - that's what options are for. OR choose pilot never dies.

etc

Some like it some don't so we have to put options so almost everyone is happy.

It seems to me, some want a kind of easy turkey-shooting like Phase 2 often was, but on

110 % realism, please, cause they don't want to be regarded as beginners.

Guys, if you REALLY want to do well in a reality-orientated sim - learn to fly your crates.

Learn tricks and manoeuvers. Act, as if it could really cost your life.

Some complain, they never die - others, that they are always getting shot down. Tch!

I have no pilot among my 8 or 9, that has reached the 17 hour mark. But I don't blame

the sim for it - it's me who is so slow to learn; who wants to decide it the next sortie.

I think the archies great now,haven't been hit yet but had some real close callls,and hit looks splendid as it explodes around you.

I also used auto-pilot while i was having a smoke outside and flew straight through flak barrage for about 3 miles didn't get hit once so it must be down to luck nothing else...

That sounds exactly how it should be. :good: :yes:

I for one was thrilled that I could now spot otherwise invisible enemy craft by the AA fire. Excellent realism factor.

ZZ.

I for one was thrilled that I could now spot otherwise invisible enemy craft by the AA fire. Excellent realism factor.

ZZ.

I'll second that. A nice improvement!

It seems to me, some want a kind of easy turkey-shooting like Phase 2 often was, but on

110 % realism, please, cause they don't want to be regarded as beginners.

Guys, if you REALLY want to do well in a reality-orientated sim - learn to fly your crates.

Learn tricks and manoeuvers. Act, as if it could really cost your life.

Some complain, they never die - others, that they are always getting shot down. Tch!

I have no pilot among my 8 or 9, that has reached the 17 hour mark. But I don't blame

the sim for it - it's me who is so slow to learn; who wants to decide it the next sortie.

Spot on Olham. I think the new archie really adds to the quality of the title and the experience. Archie is dangerous, why? Because it was.

Actually, what Bullethead wrote, is almost verbatim from a pilot's memiors in 1917... archie was feared, however, did not stop them from flying... and a balloon mission was almost certain death for 1 if not two of the squad mates in your flight.

Hence why guys like Röth, Coppens, and Luke were looked upon as fearless. It was an honor to be called a 'Balloon Buster' as it signified you have balls made of solid brass.

I think the AA is spot on... if you're stupid, or become too complacent, you die.

Attack the balloon from high above and dive on it to cover you from the AAMG's. Once you reach about 500ft above it, break the attack and start again.

Flak... it's a game of luck but jinking if you have too will lessen your chances maybe by 10%.

Get real... this is Hell... this IS WWI!!

OvS