Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

Airfield arresting cable check

Last Friday, the airbase had an arresting gear cable check. The Navy sent over a C-2 Greyhound to do the actual engagement. Luckily I was on hand to capture the event.

C_2A_162169_OTBH_07082009_Bb.jpg

C_2A_162169_OTBH_07082009_Cc.jpg

C_2A_162169_OTBH_07082009_Dd.jpg

Out of curiosity, when they check the cables at AF installations, would I be correct in assuming that USN a/c are used most of the time (since they are built to do it repeatedly)?

Out of curiosity, when they check the cables at AF installations, would I be correct in assuming that USN a/c are used most of the time (since they are built to do it repeatedly)?

When they tested them at Tinker AFB, we used Navy planes for it as well. So that is a very good question.

My guess is yes because those AF hooks are meant to stop the plane, not leave it in flight-ready status after use! :wink:

probably so.

On AF planes with tailhooks, they are generally a lot lighter and I suspect intended to be replaced after each time. I'll let one of the AF tactical jet types confirm that.

Air Force aircraft have been used to test the cables, F-16s and F-15s have been used.

The tailhook of a 63rd Fighter Squadron F-16 scrapes along the runway before grabbing hold of the arresting barrier Dec 20. The barrier engagement is an annual requirement airfield managers must arrange and perform to ensure the systems are operational. (U.S. Air Force photo/Tech. Sgt. Raheem Moore)

071220-F-4707M-011.jpg

As Mike said, yes AF aircraft can be used. But there are no fighter aircraft based there at the Deid, so the Navy COD was requested.

-Jeff

Hey Jeff, rumor has it the Deid has a new, longer runway for bigger aircraft. (cough cough) Is this true?

Hey Jeff, rumor has it the Deid has a new, longer runway for bigger aircraft. (cough cough) Is this true?

In progress Mike. Like everything over there, it's behind schedule.

Will be interesting to see the first set of 8 scorch marks on it though.

In progress Mike. Like everything over there, it's behind schedule.

Will be interesting to see the first set of 8 scorch marks on it though.

flight of four Hornets?

:biggrin: