Sign in to follow this  
brogers

Finding it hard to die

Hello!

I've been flying OFF for a couple of months now, and really love the game. However, a problem which completely ruins the immersion for me keeps coming up. During a mission, I'll crash or suffer so much damage that the mission ends, but I fail to die. I have the realism set at 120%, with the dead is dead option enabled. However, the missions keep ending after a crash which would surely kill me, yet all I see is the message that another mission has been logged. Just now, flying a Nieuport 17 in 1917, I collided with an Alb DII and lost my entire left wing. I went into an uncontrollable spin, the mission ended automatically before I crashed, and then I was told that another mission had been logged.

I have tried reinstalling the game several times, but the problem keeps recurring. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by brogers

brogers, be sure - you WILL die sooner or later.

I had crashes as you describe, and survived them too. The sim decides, when they are fatal.

Before, we had too many deaths, and people complained.

Now some complain, they never die. That isn't so.

I fly a lot, and two of my pilots bit the mud recently. It only doesn't happen so often anymore.

For me that is definitely NO reason to complain. It's hard enough.

PS: Please PM me your hometown and country - I would like to add you to the OFFPilots map.

Thank you.

Edited by Olham

So you want to die more? Ah, that can be arranged - come to meet me and my boys of MFJ I around Mariakerke close to the Belgian North Sea coast and we'll see what we can do to your N.17 and your little "problem". :biggrin:

Seriously speaking, I guess you've just been extremely lucky - sometimes you can survive those dangerous situations, but often you don't. But if you constantly run into situations that most likely would be fatal and always survive them, I guess that's odd.

Pilot brogers, worry not for death shall come. Not when you expect but rather when you are of a mind to revell in some accomplishment. You may think your young and full of piss and vinegar, that death shall pass you by for ever but be warned the cold clutch of the reaper will claim your pilot soul and then... you create a new guy to send up and get his backside full of lead.

Thanks for your reply, Olham - I always find your posts helpful!

Has the death rate really been turned down that much? Now that you mention it, I do remember dying a lot more a few patches ago. However, it does seem pretty unrealistic to lose control at 5000ft and live to tell the tale. It seems like there really isn't that much difference between the "dead is dead" setting and the "dice roll on death" setting. I'd really prefer to know when I died and to know when I lived, and for a sim that prides itself on realism it seems a shame that I am able to routinely survive situations which I am sure would have meant certain death for the pilots in WW1.

Thanks again for your reply - and PM sent!

Edit : Thanks for the other replies as well. Hasse, I can tell you what would happen if I came to meet your boys - you would shoot me down in flames, I'd crash, and then I'd be told to prepare for the next mission. It doesn't happen everytime, but I would say it happens 9 times out of 10.

Edited by brogers

I have the realism set at 120%, with the dead is dead option enabled. However, the missions keep ending after a crash which would surely kill me, yet all I see is the message that another mission has been logged.

I had one of these last night, the 1st time I'd seen it happen. I got totally owned by some Nupe ace. Last I knew, I was in a vertical dive at about 6,000 feet with him on my tail hitting me with every round in his Lewis drum. All the controls were useless, major pieces were missing, there was the horrible noise of my plane shredding, and it looked like a fire was starting. Then the screen went black, but instead of saying I was dead, it said "Another flight logged". I wasn't even hurt--I had to fly the afternoon mission that same day :biggrin: .

But that's the only time I've had that happen yet. Yesterday (my 1st day off in a long time), I spent doing all sorts of crazy things in OFF. I ended up killing 4 or 5 pilots. Most died in horrible crashes and collisions, and once when I didn't think my landing was THAT bad :rolleyes: . So apart from this 1 strange instance, all seems normal to me.

It does happen occasionally that you survive when you should not. In that case I just consider the pilot dead and end the career...easy.

"I got totally owned by some Nupe ace. Last I knew, I was in a vertical dive at about 6,000 feet with him on my tail hitting me with every round in his Lewis drum. All the controls were useless, major pieces were missing, there was the horrible noise of my plane shredding, and it looked like a fire was starting. Then the screen went black, but instead of saying I was dead, it said "Another flight logged". I wasn't even hurt--I had to fly the afternoon mission that same day"

You are David Niven and I claim my £5.

You are David Niven and I claim my £5.

I don't get it. Is this a reference to some show I've never seen?

Hasse, I can tell you what would happen if I came to meet your boys - you would shoot me down in flames, I'd crash, and then I'd be told to prepare for the next mission. It doesn't happen everytime, but I would say it happens 9 times out of 10.

Hey, maybe we could make a deal - you come flying our way, we shoot you down, rinse and repeat every couple of days. We'll send you the finest Imperial German turnips for your trouble. Sound fair? :biggrin: