MJ and any others who know how to use CMS packages (postnuke, e107, etc):

I need help with this. I really have no idea what I'm doing for installation and the like. From everything I've seen, I understand I need a domain name/FTP before I can even start making a site? Would geocities work? I'm getting rather lost, and I need help. I know HTML, C++, and the basics of Java, so I'm not completly new to programming. Ugh, any help would be greatly appriciated.

For a website running CMS software you're going to want a webhost that offers MySQL and PHP. Those are the two (along with the webserver - like Apache) foundations of the CMS packages you mentioned (along with PHP-Nuke - the Big Dawg in CMSs)

The good news is that CMS packages install easily.

The almost good news is that learning to run a virtual website, and doing the DNS stuff isnt that hard to learn.

Some more good news is that cost of running a virtual website has dropped a lot.

You can get a decent setup for $48 a year (plus about another $7.50 for the yearly domain name fee).

A lot of virtual hosting plans take a lot of the work out of installing CMS packages too. They have local scripts that will do that for you, plus add other features too.

Here is an example of a basic plan with all the features you need (and more):

Virtual Web Hosting Plan

Check out the link to "FREE Web Applications! Install Automatically! NEW Feature! Details" You'll see PHP-Nuke and PostNuke installation options.

That particular webhost even has decent tutorials about running the website.

One more option is that you can install a CMS package on your PC and experiment there first! Learn the ropes so to speak. All you need to do is install a package that has Apache web server, PHP and MySQL. One such package that I've used is XAMPP Its almost TOO easy to install and run. Then you have your choice of CMS packages you can download and install.

A Warning! Not all ISPs allow you to run server programs on your broadband account. Be sure to check the TOS- Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policy AUP. Comcast Cable is an example of one ISP that forbids servers, Earthlink is one who permits servers.