Sign in to follow this  
thewoo1

planes in Movies

What are the planes used these movies real or hollywood...Dawn patrol allied..... Blue max looks like fokd7 but the spinner looks odd...Aces high german aircraft?

What are the planes used these movies real or hollywood...Dawn patrol allied..... Blue max looks like fokd7 but the spinner looks odd...Aces high german aircraft?

Someone mentioned in the forum that the Dawn Patrol Allied planes were N-24s ? and the fokker ( in Blue Max) replica is running a moden engine hence the smaller prop. Dont know if that is correct. hope it helps

Bruno Stachel in "Blue Max" is flying a Pfalz DIIIa (replica I think).

Bruno Stachel in "Blue Max" is flying a Pfalz DIIIa (replica I think).

I think I read the Pfalz is now owned by Peter Jackson the director and builder of WWI replica planes.

All the Blue Max aircraft are replica's, they were built just for the movie

Same Story with:

"Those Magnificent men in their Flying Machines"

That's the reason you'll never see a major star as a WWI pilot. The insurance premium would be astronomical

Last One was Robert Redford in 'Waldo Pepper', but he wasn't a star YET Then

OOPS . .almost forgot "High Road to China" . .Tom Selleck . . The birds were Belgian STAMPE's

In your opinion what was Errol Flying In dawn Patrol..Looked like a neiuport but the cowling looked odd

thewoo1, it depends on which shot you are looking at in Dawn Patrol. They did use several real N28's, but they also had a pair of Thomas Morse scouts done up to look like the Nieups. So yes, sometimes those N28's in the movie do look a bit odd as they are not always N28's. :smile:

Also uncleal, not all the planes in the Blue Max were built for the movie, but nearly all were. The one exception were the Stampe SV-4's they used in quite a few of the group shots. All the planes you see with the deeply swept-back wings are Stampes. BTW, I just watched The Blue Max again, and it really is one of the all-time best.

Cheers!

Lou