Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Tofu

Who likes this stuff? I can not wrap my head around it. I have had it and every single time its hit or miss. Either really good or really bad. Some of the dishes I have eaten and its cooked it tastes fine. But some have it cold and I hate it. I keep trying it though. Is there something I am missing?

Same for me, hit or miss. I prefer the harder, more rubbery kind of tofu that you can squeeze gently without it splintering into slippery slivers of watery nothingness, others prefer the silky smooth texture of said soft tofu. Yet more depends on the spices with which it is cooked as the substance itself has very little flavour. I use a lot of dark soya sauce, a drop of oyster sauce, ginger, garlic, crushed dried red chilli and perhaps a little cumin or coriander seed depending on what else is going with it.

Squishy tofu is an absolute pet hatred of mine. If it isn't cooked to a certain firmness, i'm not touching it.

Like any ingredient, selection and preperation are key fractions in this formula. It is very good for maintaining the elasticity of blood vessels. Generally the softer varieties are best for soups and stews while the firmer is best for stir or deep frying. Keeping in mind that it has a relatively high water content so some attention prior to any kind of frying should be taken. After "slabbing" the cube to desired thickness, I "sandwich" the slabs between several paper towels (over and under) and weight them down slightly to lightly press some of the excess water out. Then just prior to cooking season or marinade as desired. Then cut to size just before cooking.

It's all good.

I grew up with tofu and have seen it in all consistencies...even used in a pie (good pie...seriously!).

Anyway, I typically like it cooked with a bit of crust and pretty spongy texture...the only time I like the less firm type is in soup.

FC

I keep trying it though.

Do you know how I know you're gay? :biggrin:

My wife the vegetarian eats it all the time. I've never have really liked I when she makes it no matter how it’s cooked but I eat because it's good for my health. Would I rather her cook a steak? Absolutely.

Do you know how I know I'm gay? :biggrin:

You f***ed Matt Damon? :rofl:

tofu and matt damon in one thread, not to mention the whole gay thing.. :bad:

tofu and matt damon in one thread, not to mention the whole gay thing.. :bad:

Got a good laugh from this thread,thanks guys.I eat tofu sometimes.I usualy dry it a bit after marinating it then grill it and throw it into a stir fry or into some udon noodles.

Tofu's pretty good if you have it with a good sauce... of course it has to do with the texture but I find I'll down pretty much anything that's not too soft. Preserved duck egg and soy sauce on tofu... mmm :yes: