Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Best Flight my 1st fighter kills

On the emeny side of the lines, our flights ran into 5 N-17s. 1st flight (3 a/c) had attacked and had the the Frenchies down low by the Argonne and the front lines. My flight of 4 Albatross D-3 persuits dived to attack. Remembering what Olham preches in the forum I kept higher then the N-17s circling. while making a slow right turn saw a N-17 behind a D-3. slight dive lining him up and gave him a squirt (32 rds) got 1 hit then as I drew closer fangs out long burst (46 rds) 6 hits another burst(37 Rds) 8 hits pulled up to stay higher then the circling fight in the weeds and saw my victim hit the ground. Checking my six , I saw an N-17 closing . broke Right, he stayed back there ,tryed a chandel he stayed with me like stink on a monkey, Started a loop then broke hard left for the weeds. I thought ,Hope that they have Maverick and Goose on the Alert Ramp this fight will be over in secs The French a/c closed but never fired ( he must have used up his ammo) so I slowed made a gental right turn clawing for height and a D-3 smoking flew by and crashed. Putting the nose down ,I picked up a N17 heading at me firing a long burst (42 Rds) I got one hit . Hard left nose down I lined up for deflection shot as he began to turn a burst of 40 rds resulted in 4hits closed the range and pulled more leed fired (33Rds) 6-8 hits pulled up saw the N17 still flying in the weeds. Right Rudder and a gentle dive long burst (52 Rds) 9 hits all arond the cockpit boom the N17 slamed in the ground and I finally lost the N17 flying behind me. Losses: 1st flight loss one D-3 I lossed my wingman ( forced landing their side of the lines) TT: 2 albatross D-3. Allied : 4 N-17s (2 were mine) 1st flight got one 2d flight 3 (my flight) :yes: :biggrin:

Gratulation, Herr Carrick, wunderbar!

Yes, you can turn with them. When you really need it tight: nose down, bank 50-60°, rudder with the turn.

Of course you loose altitude, which you must try to regain somehow. But that way I have often turned into

a Nupes curve and plastered her. And once they are hit, they loose a lot of their prima-ballerina dancing!

My Jasta 1 pilot in Vivaise, May 1917, often returns alone. But none of the Nupes do. Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

TT: 2 albatross D-3. Allied : 4 N-17s (2 were mine) 1st flight got one 2d flight 3 (my flight) :yes: :biggrin:

Sabash, Carrick-huzoor! We shall call you "Bloody Lance" now :biggrin: .

Very good description. I could picture the action in my mind's eye.

BTW, when you pop your cherry, you have to buy a round of drinks for everybody for each kill. Guess that means I'll have a double Lagavulin 16 :drinks_drunk: :alcoholic:

Sabash, Carrick-huzoor! We shall call you "Bloody Lance" now :biggrin: .

Very good description. I could picture the action in my mind's eye.

BTW, when you pop your cherry, you have to buy a round of drinks for everybody for each kill. Guess that means I'll have a double Lagavulin 16 :drinks_drunk: :alcoholic:

Being foolish, I decided to start flying as Seendly Whiplash in be2c s Not brave (Dumb) enough for the FE2B ,but will Keep the Count Dirty Oil as my Albatross D-3 pilot Its hard for me to think that I was avoiding N11 s and N17 s now I look for them. I drink and sing a version of the WW I English Airmans Drinking song. My Airman Take the crankcase out of my back and remember my wingmate Hass to take the british piston out of my ^%%$$###@ Hooray for the next one that flys. The Champagne I got from Willy Vintage 1903, I Found It Hard to Get.! :yes: