Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

OT - What are your favorite Non-flight sim games?

Obviously we all have a common interest in WWI flight sims. Just curious though what other non-flight sim type games folks enjoyed playing and why?

For me it's Oblivion - because I like swords and sorcery stuff and Oblivion has incredible graphics and is extremely user moddable!

I also love Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty World at War and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for first person shooters (although I rarely play since I got OFF BHaH) The CoD series is awesome for the story and the photo realistic graphics. Vegas 2 is great for being a totally unforgiving, thinking man's shooter.

I used to be a huge on-line MMO fan, playing WoW, EQ, EQ2, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online and Age of Conan, but MMOs take up too much time and I lost all the time when I got married.

What do you guys play besides flight sims? (Don't anyone say "Zork!")

Hellshade

Hellshade I'm there with you in Oblivion. Woodelf here, expert sneak and marksman. Primary residence is Benirus Manor in Anvil. It's a wonderful game that gets none of my attention since OFF. My wife plays it on her computer tho while I'm OFFing. That works out very nicely. Prior to this pc I played FPS on XBox and PS2 and a couple flight games. Recently got Bioshock from a friend and look forward to that.

Oh and if you didn't know I'm the "hero of Kvatch"

Edited by Rickitycrate

Hellshade I'm there with you in Oblivion. Woodelf here, expert sneak and marksman. Primary residence is Benirus Manor in Anvil. It's a wonderful game that gets none of my attention since OFF. My wife plays it on her computer tho while I'm OFFing. That works out very nicely. Prior to this pc I played FPS on XBox and PS2 and a couple flight games. Recently got Bioshock from a friend and look forward to that.

Oh and if you didn't know I'm the "hero of Kvatch"

Sneaky Marksman is the way to go. Too much fun assassinating people with arrows to the head and neck! I use a race called Nightelves (downloadable mod from www.tesnexus.com) for my main character. I don't play nearly as often since I got Over Flanders Fields, but every once in awhile I get a few hours of creeping through dungeons and killing stuff in. I wish my wife was into video games more. Well, maybe not. I can't really afford to build another rig like mine. Ha.

Hellshade

I like Civilization III. I used to be quite addicted to it. Now it's just an occassional thing. Aces High and OFF are my main entertainments now. That is, when I can't go fishing.

I like Civilization III. I used to be quite addicted to it. Now it's just an occassional thing. Aces High and OFF are my main entertainments now. That is, when I can't go fishing.

When my Son was working for Vivendi (the parent company of Blizzard) he got me onto WoW been there ever since, altho I take frequent "flying" breaks for OFF, RoF, AH2, IL2-1946, and Canvas Knights (if it ever comes about). Also play some old Steel Panzer games from Shrapnel Games/Camo workshop

:ok:

When my Son was working for Vivendi (the parent company of Blizzard) he got me onto WoW been there ever since, altho I take frequent "flying" breaks for OFF, RoF, AH2, IL2-1946, and Canvas Knights (if it ever comes about). Also play some old Steel Panzer games from Shrapnel Games/Camo workshop

:rofl: World at War, Silent Hunter III ,and IV and Combat Mission Afrika Korps But looking for a good Tank game. :rofl:

I usually play Silent Hunter 3 & 4. Used to be a big fan of Call of Duty series but to old and slow for on-line. like brothers in arms, but wish to heck there was a good tank combat sim around.

Since somebody else brought this subject up and not me, I feel free to plug my own products: Jutland and Distant Guns. If anybody here is interested in this sort of thing, please don't mention it here because this is the OFF board :biggrin: . Go look me up on my home forum http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245, where you'll recognize me right off.

Apart from that, I really like Mount & Blade. This is another great game by a small indy, this time from Turkey. M&B is a "realistic" FRPG, in that there are netiher magic nor monsters, but it's set in a parallel universe similar to our own Middle Ages. You start out as a poor guy with a sword. Your objective is to claw your way into the upper nobility, which essentially means you have to raise a mercenary company, get hired by one kingdom or other, be successful in war, gain respectability by feats of arms and acquiring money, suck up to the existing nobility, etc. Along the way you'll sack villages, storm castles, ambush caravans, and fight pitched battles with several hundred guys on each side. Many of them work for you and "cost 50 pounds apiece" so it's a shame when they die. So it's like a combination of Oblivion (which I also really liked) plus M2TW, only the epic battles are 1st person :good: . The production values aren't up to Oblivion, but the gameplay and concept completely rock. War must pay for war. The mercenary army you need to achieve your goals isn't cheap, so you pretty much have to perpetuate the war so you can bring in enough loot to feed them :biggrin: . Very realistic. Plus there are TONS of mods for it.

I also really like Fallout 3, where I can be almost as twisted as I want to be. See attached pics :diablo: . I just wish I could join the Raider faction, but I'm the next best thing: a wanted man. I've got the Regulator duster to prove it :butcher: .

I play a lot of World Soccer Manager

the American release of Football Manager

simply the greatest time sink of all time*

(without airplanes of course)

SH3 for me cant get my head into SH4 at the moment, its just not got the same immersion for me but its a very popular sim.

Nothing else really floats my boat unless I include the Desert Storm series on PS2, but thats only used if i feel the need to blast away

Sins of a Solar Empire: FANTASTIC space RTS game

Descent 3: Best game of all time

Defense Grid: Great tower defense game.

Pirates! : The newer sid meier version

Rise of Nations: RTS world empire game

Yup, put me in with the Oblivion crowd too. I also really enjoy:

Mount & Blade

Medieval Total War 2

Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries

Brothers In Arms: Hells Highway

Madden 2008 (heavily modded)

...and just recently started playing Might & Magic: Dark Messiah and have been having a blast with it!

I like FPS and Call of Duty and Rainbow 6 Vegas are pretty good. I liked "Call of Juarez: bound for blood", despite the questionable content (please see the screenshot below...just a joke, I hope you all realise!).

:nono:

I also enjoyed Silent Hunter. I worked for many years as a Weapons Analyst for the Australian Navy, and my "area of expertise" was Anti-Submarine Warfare, so I learned a lot about ASW and how to defeat the torpedoes used in ASW (I used to supervise their assembly as an Inspector Naval Ordnance).

I'm currently playing ArmA II. It has the ability to use TrackIR as well, but I still haven't got around to trying to work out how to use it. I know you can keep an enemy in your sights and check to see you aren't being flanked, but I haven't yet investigated whether it's suitable to use. ArmA II is a good FPS, but it is totally realistic like OFF. You CAN be killed by a single bullet, which makes your approaches to enemy camps etc very cautious. You can fly choppers, VTOL aircraft, drive tanks and APC's and trucks. Pretty good.

Edited by Check Six

Grid on the PS3,if i'am not flying i'am driving........

My List is quite long (so no apologies needed if you get Bored)

1) Grid (manic good fun)

2) Brothers in Arms, Hell's Highway (best WW2 shooter I ever played...and I've played them all)

3) Dark Messiah (prefer this to oblivion..because I am a violent psychopath)

4) Napoleon Total War for RTW (modders who I admire almost as much as OBD)

5) Call of Juarez Bound in Blood (just cos it's fun, and makes me feel like Clint Eastwood!)

6) Second Life (my brother got me into this...less said the better!)

7) FIFA 08 (cos I can actually make Newcastle Utd stay in the premiership!)

8) Crisis (right up til when the silly aliens arrived)

9) Mount and Blade...the combat is great!..and you can Joust on Horseback)

Other bit's and bobs hit my HDD from time to time too

If you want my most disappointing game ever? Far Cry 2....looked forward to this immensly, after the 1st one which was superb!...Biggest load of s**te I ever saw!!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Here's what I mess around with:

Left 4 Dead (yeah zombies and lot of 'em! )

SH III & IV

BIA Hells Highway (agree with Widowmaker best WWII combat)

Steel Fury Karkov 1942 (Best WW2 armor sim IMHO)

GPL (still the best)

Edited by godzilla1985

I like the older Combat Mission serios. CMBO best of all three, the easiest.

Have been playing Fallout 3 a bit. I have Oblivion but never installed it yet. Same with Morrow wind. Got them on special.

Also have SHII. III & IV.

FS2004 and FSX get a bit of a run as well.

Next I am looking for a nice space game. I woulk like a good tank game but the better ones assume you already know how to use the gun sights, and since I do not they are a bit hard to start with.

Recently a few game shops near me sold off the magority of their PC games and are now maily just sell console stuff. I made an offer a walked out with a whole box of war games, some quiet old. I now have more games then I will live to play.

Chers MarkL

1) Operation Flashpoint, Arma2 (Arma 1 NOT!)

2) Chrome, Chrome: SpecForce

3) Elder Scrolls/Gothic series

4) SH4

5) the most underrated game ever - Mount&Blade

The best game I played, before OFF so rudely interrupted me, was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl.

Very good athmosphere. The follow-up, "Clear Sky" was okay, but could have been greater.

FallOut 3 looks really good - much in the direction of the above.

Edited by Olham

I don't play FPS games that much but I really enjoyed Medal Of Honor and the follow-ups Call Of Duty and Call of Duty 2.

I also enjoy EA Sports NHL Hockey (being a big hockey fan).

I'm been sorta itching to get a new FPS game to use my new "Frankenstein toy" with:

claw.png

Bout says it all!

:rofl: Thats a good one WM!

I'm only do WW1 flysims (OFF3, RoF and RB3d) sometimes WW2 flysims like IL-1946 or CFS3 based paths.

Did played 10 years ago a racing game called Roadrash, I think I will installed it again.

Yeah, I also hate that reality game! :biggrin:

When not flying in OFF, I mostly play Civilization 4 and its excellent Fall From Heaven II mod, which is like a completely new game (and free!). I've also bought a couple of other games this year , but thanks to OFF and busy work days, I haven't really played them yet. I don't play shooters much, but I liked the Brothers in Arms series a lot.

I like World war one (strategy), CoD4 and CoD WaW.

Bout says it all!

That's CLASSIC!!! :clapping:

I had a different "motivational" poster entitled "Reality". Wish I could find it now, haven't seen it in years, but it's easy to describe:

Picture = Hot, scantily clad babe in suggestive pose.

Title = Reality

Subtitle = No matter how fine she is, somebody, somewhere, is sick of her s**t!