Sign in to follow this  
swambast

Rotation Headings: Numeric Formatting

Guys, just a quick question since I can't test this myself, if you could help it would be appreciated. In the _Targets.INI file when designating a .Heading= is it acceptable to use just a single digit value, such as .Heading=1 or must it be in the format of .Heading=001? Thanks for helping me out.

Guys, just a quick question since I can't test this myself, if you could help it would be appreciated. In the _Targets.INI file when designating a .Heading= is it acceptable to use just a single digit value, such as .Heading=1 or must it be in the format of .Heading=001? Thanks for helping me out.

A heading of "1", would be interpreted as 100 degrees. So yes, heading values must be expressed as three digits.

I'm positive the leading zeros are not needed. I did some tests:

Leading zeros will be stripped,

Any number will work, degrees larger than 360 will be translated correctly.

Negative degrees are accepted, for rotating counter clockwise.

This was all in WOE.

Note:Although the game engine accepts all these values, FSSC is picky.

Degrees must be between 0-359.99.

Looking towards 0 degrees. The one on top being Heading=1.

Target[001].Type=Bursa_Ulu_Camii

Target[001].Offset=0.00,-500.00

Target[001].Heading=1

Target[002].Type=Bursa_Ulu_Camii

Target[002].Offset=0.00,-650.00

Target[002].Heading=100

th_Heading.jpg

Perhaps it's different in single mission msn files, I'm not sure.

Edited by pureblue

Thanks guys, really appreciate the quick response! Not in front of my gaming computer to test...but I guess I'm still not sure what the answer might be for WOV...trying to conclusively determine if for Wings Over Vietnam patched to 8.30.06 if the .Heading=1 will translate into 100 degrees as Fubar mentioned or if it might be interpreted as "1" based on PureBlue's comments... I suspect Fubar's answer would be the safest, but not what I wanted to hear. If anyone has some further evidence that would be fantastic, otherwise I'll just wait until I touch down back at the house next week.

Edited by swambast

Ok, you're gonna make me bust out the old CD's for the ancient patches :biggrin:

I'll test it for SF2 too. Stay tuned..

PureBlue, it is for a good cause I assure you of which you will benefit...if I can integrate some of my next "dream functionality" into the next release of the STT Beta, it will be nothing short of revolutionary in my opinion, I promise you that. I have had to literally research complex algebraic and geometric calculations to pull off my next trick, overhauling the entire way STT processes, and that's my big secret for now. The amount of time and effort saved if I can pull this off will be astounding. By the way, even though I've been swamped at work, I did finish the functionality to quick add targets directly in the .INI file - I'll be posting an update of this hopefully over the weekend. I'm really pleased with the way it's turned out, and damn is it fast now to ad-hoc add objects....!

Steve that's just fantastic, STT works almost flawless IMHO, and more features are icing on the cake :biggrin:

Your questions to confirm how the engine interprets things are of course important, so here's what I found.

Its definitely positive that _targets.ini Heading values are interpreted just like I mentioned above.

001=1

1=1

100=100

00100=100

390=30

-40=320

-040=-40=320

Tested for all these versions: WOE 8.30.06, WOE Oct2008, SF2E Jun2009b (latest)

I can't think of any reason for WOV to have it different.

Happy coding :good:

Edit: Just verified w/ WOV 8.30.06 too.

th_docs.jpg

Target[001].Type=vPTDock
Target[001].Offset=2245.22,4094.07
Target[001].Heading=0
Target[002].Type=vPTDock
Target[002].Offset=2345.22,4094.07
Target[002].Heading=1
Target[003].Type=vPTDock
Target[003].Offset=2445.22,4094.07
Target[003].Heading=001
Target[004].Type=vPTDock
Target[004].Offset=2545.22,4094.07
Target[004].Heading=100
Target[005].Type=vPTDock
Target[005].Offset=2645.22,4094.07
Target[005].Heading=00100
Target[006].Type=vPTDock
Target[006].Offset=2745.22,4094.07
Target[006].Heading=-30

Edited by pureblue

Hmmmmm...I've always used three digit headings before, with no issues. Call it a prejudice brought by my experience in such matters, as a mariner. Interesting to see that it works either way.

Yep.....It's been My humble Expirence that it renders both Ways. BTW.....As far as Terrains goes, The only difference in the SF2V Terrain and WOV Patched to Oct 08 is the inclusion of DX Entries. Both Terrains are identical. Both use ANSI Encoded .INI's from the Factory.......

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

Thanks a lot to everyone for their replies - that answer just made my work sooooo much easier. :ok: Umut, special thank you especially to you for actually doing the testing, man I really appreciate it!