Sign in to follow this  
jtin

Nothingness (Testbed Terrain)

Nothingness (Testbed Terrain)

This is a terrain of simply, nothing.

Why is this useful? Without all the objects and tiles it needs to load, it helps to minimize loading times. This is particularly useful in skinning (decal positioning), model testing, and target placement (which then can be copy-pasted to other maps). It includes two airfields (enemy and friendly) and two target areas, WITHOUT targets.

**For this reason, it is recommended that missions using this terrain either be RECON, SWEEP, STRIKE, or CAP.**

Interestering concept, excepting it's not working ... CTDs right back out, with singlemision.dll fault or no message at all.

You've missed some VERY essential items that are REQUIRED for all terrains:

1) Planning maps -- at least 2 are needed

2) Movement ini -- it's just the GermanyCE one. Needs rebuilding to reflect the Blue/Red sides; and

a) friendly and enemy bases shouldn't be so close together; I'd have placed them on opposite sides of the map, like I did with the Fighter Bowl terrain.

3) Nations ini -- needs both sides defined (location001 and location002) and the nations listed.

4) Mission types: you can't have a strike mission (as stated in the readme -even CAP was CTDing for me) without TARGETS!!! Items of some targetable value MUST be placed somewheres on the map, otherwise CTDs ensue.

If you want, I will be glad to give it a "once over" and straighten out the issues. Only if you want, of course! :wink: I'm already fixing mine...

wrench

kevin stein

That's weird... didn't have any CTDs (Strike assigns you the enemy runway - found it would CTD without any runways) but if you're already fixing it, go right ahead. :yes:

No word on the planning maps I take it? I definitely like this idea, but uh.. it would help if a planning map was present...

Shhoooot, forgot all about that!!

I guess I can assemble an update package, if there's really a want for it!

If you all want, I have a completley stripped down stock Desert terrain I made for Fubar to use in testing some SAM sites.

All the cities are intact, but with nothing of value to bomb (like a water tower or mosque), and only 1 large airfield for each side. All other stuff works (movements ini is stock, etc)

Works in all versions of the sim, but you need the desert cat for the tiles, or get an alternate desert tile set. Works really well is SF2

weighs in at like 500k zipped, as it's just inis

wrench

kevin stein

I'd be interested, as I need a cheap terrain to test stuff, tactics and weapons...

Me too...I'd like a terrain to be able to test out all mission types, including air to air missions that can't be done on the Range.

FC

Ok, then. I'll write up a readme with install instructions, and upload it tommorrow sometime

wrench

kevin stein

Nice, make sure you got a screenshot or I'll disapprove it :smile::lol:

Edited by EricJ

Jtin,

You won the Nobel Prize :worship:

for this (terrain) idea, saving my life in loading the sim to fix skins, decals etc in my mods.

I'll be in debt with you for ever and ever, so I'ld like say to You:

Thanks/Grazie/Merci/Danke

Paolo :flyer: