Sign in to follow this  
Herr Prop-Wasche

Wine thread

In honor of the beer thread and Olham's mention of Germany's wines, I thought I'd start a wine thread and learn a little more about good wines. I'm not much of an expert myself, but I really enjoyed some of the locally produced German white wines when I was over there many, many years ago. About all I remember now is that there are three levels of sweetness allowed in German whites: Kabinett, Spätlese, and Auslese.

So, what are some of your favorites? And do you drink a particular countries wines when flying for that side--British and American "wines" excepted? :grin:

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

I'm not a wine conasewer but my wine of choice Maui Blanc from Tedeschi Vineyards Upcountry Maui Hawaii U.S.A. It's a pineapple wine.

mmmm wine!

I'm from wine country (northern california, sonoma county) originally, and that's the only drawback to living in Hawaii: not being able to see the grapes grow thru the season to the crush.

Favorite wine? Gotta be Old Vines Zinfandel or a hearty cabernet.

St. Francis winery makes a terrific zin from the pagani vineyard (100+ year old vines).

Jordon makes a pretty good Cabernet, but my favorite is Colin Lee Cabernet Sauvignon.

And when in doubt about what to get, get a Chianti, real fruity, and good with most everything Italian. Cant really go wrong there!

Try Spanish Riojas - pronounced "ree-ock-ah" - for our colonial friends. Generally, but not always reds, occasionally white, but generally wonderful as laid down in oaken barrels to pick up flavour - and Christ, they do.

Other favourites are Barolo (Italy) and one particularly obscure one - Naoussa Grand Reserva, a win I first tasted on Naxos, in the middle of the Aegean, surrounded by the madness of Naxos harbour as the ferries come in. Barolo is lovely, but there's something so chewy and unexpected about a *Greek* red wine being that good which is both totally unexpected and completely bewitching. It's possibly the finest red wine I've ever tasted.

But I still stick to Moorhouse's Pendle Witch - I really should have posted on the beer thread!!

New Zealand sauvignon blanc's, German rieslings, Italien ripasso vines, South African Pinotage´s, South American pinot noir's.

Wow, Paarma, we could have had a few together, when I was still drinking wine.

Thanks for the honour, Herr Prop-Wasche,

but I'm not a gourmet, I don't know anything about the 'finesse' with wines.

And I don't know the German wines, sorry.

I don't even drink any alcohol anymore, but when I did, more than five years

ago, I prefered the white wine Hunter's Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand,

and the red wine Meerendal Pinotage from South Africa. Also Australian blends

of Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon. All these rather rich and not fine enough for

the "connaisseurs" - but very tasty for me. Don't ask me, if I miss them...

Edited by Olham

I work in alcohol shop so i know wines pretty well as i see them every day :). Still im not gourmet or pro with wines. What taste best is best, was it cheap or pricy not matters... And i forgot those wines from Alsace are all my favorite.

Wow, Paarma, we could have had a few together, when I was still drinking wine.

Thanks for the honour, Herr Prop-Wasche,

but I'm not a gourmet, I don't know anything about the 'finesse' with wines.

And I don't know the German wines, sorry.

I don't even drink any alcohol anymore, but when I did, more than five years

ago, I prefered the white wine Hunter's Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand,

and the red wine Meerendal Pinotage from South Africa. Also Australian blends

of Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon. All these rather rich and not fine enough for

the "connaisseurs" - but very tasty for me. Don't ask me, if I miss them...

Working in a wine shop? Haha! Some round here will call you a "lucky blighter" now!

I don't drink much wine because I like sweet ones and today's so-called wine snobs mostly drink stuff that is not only sour, but makes me thirstier than I was before I drank any. But when I can find them, I like them like this:

Port: My main table wine (I mostly eat red meat). Serving it as an after-diner wine in tiny classes is a complete waste.

Sherry: My main pre-dinner wine, if I can't have whiskey or whisky instead, prior to a red meat supper. Otherwise, my "white" table wine with chicken, fish, and ham.

Homebrew mead: Made from home-grown honey, it's always sweet.

Homebrew metheglin: Very sweet mead made with apple juice instead of water, seasoned with cloves, cinammon, etc. Served in small glasses heated 15 seconds in the microwave, sipped in front of the fire on a cold winter night while snuggling up to your female of the moment.

Feliciana Cellars Galvez: A sweet white muscadine wine. Muscadines are a wild grape native to Lousy Anna. NOTE: This winery makes some nasty, dry muscadine wines, too, but thank the Dark Gods they make sweet stuff :biggrin: .

Feliciana Cellares Tunica: A sweet red muscadine wine.

Tokaij

Marsalla

Sautern

Pulque: A wine made out of agave nectar, what you then run through the still to make tequila. I make mine sweet.

Liebfraumilche

Mogen David

Schwartze Katz

Kalte Ente

Well, Sauternes is quite nice. You would like some German "Eisbeerenauslese".

Those are from wine, that remained on the stock until the first frost. The berries

look almost like raisins then and are very sweet. And due to the high fruit sugar,

that wine isn't even heavy at all - rather low in alcohol amount.

A a hot summer day a crisp Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is quite nice

But my heart lies with the Reds

Oregon Pinot Noirs

Alexander Valley Cabernets - Jordon as BuB suggested

A Merlot with a thick steak

Or a French Bordeaux if I feel adventurous

Bullethead, if you like (very) sweet wines you should try a South African Noble Late Harvest. I was given a bottle once and kept it for over ten years because I can't drink it. I eventually gave it to someone who likes that sort of thing.

I used to drink a lot of Pinotage but eventually the acetone taste got me down, so now I have switched mostly to Merlots. I had a Chilean red once and it was very good, but unfortunately rather expensive here.

A good Merlot is appreciated whenever I uncork!...Have to say, some of the Australian wines can be a bit Cheeky too

In Australia, we don't pooh-pooh good table wines.

A 1979 Cuvee Reservee Chateau Bottle de nuit san Wagga Wagga, which has a kick on it like a mule. This is a wine with a message, and the message is STAY AWAY!

But seriously...

Chateauneuf-du-pape White, with some warm almond crepes...very nice.

Of course, CJ's MD 20-20 enjoyed directly from the brown-paper-bag-wrapped bottle along with a good 4-bit stogie, while sitting on the edge of a quiet rail bridge watching the river meander along on a warm summer's day has merits all it's own. Over the course of the years I have learned it is wise to take pleasure in whatever life sends your way.

Cheers!

Lou

A bit OT, but....

I see Paarma works in an 'alcohol shop' in Finland - I suppose this is a direct translation?

In England (possibly all of Britain) one used to buy wine and spirits from an 'Off Licence' where you could only buy booze to drink 'off' the premises.

I think just about everything alcoholic in Britain is now sold in supermarkets.

Here in South Africa we have the strange rule that wine can be bought in supermarkets, but not beer or liquor. For that you have to go to a 'Bottle Store', which normally sells the contents as well as the bottle :smile:

I believe in Oz that the local term is 'bottle shop'.

Any other strange terms out there?

Any reasonable chilled, crisp, dry white with some freshly cooked king prawns is a meal fit for a king.

mmmm wine!

I'm from wine country (northern california, sonoma county) originally, and that's the only drawback to living in Hawaii: not being able to see the grapes grow thru the season to the crush.

Favorite wine? Gotta be Old Vines Zinfandel or a hearty cabernet.

St. Francis winery makes a terrific zin from the pagani vineyard (100+ year old vines).

Jordon makes a pretty good Cabernet, but my favorite is Colin Lee Cabernet Sauvignon.

And when in doubt about what to get, get a Chianti, real fruity, and good with most everything Italian. Cant really go wrong there!

1989 Beringer Knights Valley Reserve cabernet, about the best Ive ever had. Im in Lake county, and it seems that everybody and his dog has a vineyard now, we have a major glut in the industry at the present time, WAY too many grapes, the overall quality will suffer I fear.

I think it might be called also liquer store. In Finland all over 4,5% alcohol products have to sell by Finland covernment owned liquer "alcohol" stores. So supermarkets can sell only basicly beer and ciders.

Cheers

Arto

A bit OT, but....

I see Paarma works in an 'alcohol shop' in Finland - I suppose this is a direct translation?

In England (possibly all of Britain) one used to buy wine and spirits from an 'Off Licence' where you could only buy booze to drink 'off' the premises.

Here in South Africa we have the strange rule that wine can be bought in supermarkets, but not beer or liquor. For that you have to go to a 'Bottle Store', which normally sells the contents as well as the bottle :smile:

Oak Leaf Merlot from WalMart. $2.99 a bottle.

Sure fools these ole country bumpkin taste buds!

Mogen David Mad Dog 20/20, it was a good week though.

Did you HAVE to remind me of how hard the Mad Dog bites... jeeze.. now I'm dry-heaving again.... from 20 years ago!!!

Long Island, NY... Duck Walk... nice stuff. Cheap price, but a very good tasting, light wine. Goes great with Chicken... :ok:

http://www.duckwalk.com/

A bit OT, but....

Down south in South Carolina I think they are called "Package Stores"? Camel, is that right? Up here we call them the standard: Liquor Stores... or Booze Shops.