Sign in to follow this  
Pappa Goat

Editing aircraft in Stock Campaigns

Is there any way to get the DATA.ini files for the stock Linebacker campaigns in WOV to edit them? I wanted to change some of the squadrons and their aircraft.

Also, is there a way to make more than one type of aircraft available to any squadron? For example, on A-6A campaigns I'd like to make the A-6B also available to that squadron to fly Ironhand as and when needed.

PG

There is an entire Knowledge Base that tells you how to do all of that. Its right above the general forum.

ok... anyone have a link to where the .cat file extractor can be downloaded, the link in the Knowledge base is a dud, searched, can't find it.

...To be honest, the knowledge base isn't much help to me much of the time as everything seems to assume you already have a high level of modding knowledge already. For example, there's all these mapping tutorials but I don't even know how to load the map into the TE and no-one covers basic dumbass steps or extra bits that might be needed for that with that.

ok... anyone have a link to where the .cat file extractor can be downloaded, the link in the Knowledge base is a dud, searched, can't find it.

Page 6 in the SF utilities download page.

...To be honest, the knowledge base isn't much help to me much of the time as everything seems to assume you already have a high level of modding knowledge already. For example, there's all these mapping tutorials but I don't even know how to load the map into the TE and no-one covers basic dumbass steps or extra bits that might be needed for that with that.

Well there is a few in depth campaign editing thread in the Knowledge Base. Just start reading.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showforum=193

Also have you looked at this for terrain editing?

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showforum=191

Yeh those are the links I've gotten to, thanks. What I mean is, for example... in the map modding tutorial there's instructions to do this or that.. but doesn't always say how, doesn't even say how to load the map data into the TE. For that campaign editor it says to extract from the missiondata.cat but doesn't say where that is, and I can't find it. I know these guides are made by good and willing people on their own time, I'm just behind the skill level curve and frustrated.

Yeh those are the links I've gotten to, thanks. What I mean is, for example... in the map modding tutorial there's instructions to do this or that.. but doesn't always say how, doesn't even say how to load the map data into the TE. For that campaign editor it says to extract from the missiondata.cat but doesn't say where that is, and I can't find it. I know these guides are made by good and willing people on their own time, I'm just behind the skill level curve and frustrated.

You need to look through the folders of your install.

Your first step in modding, you need to be familiar with all the files that make up the sim. That is how I started in 2002. I got the cat extractor and I extracted all of contents of each cat file so I could see what was what. That is where you should start. Once you do that and you see what is in there, then the knowledage base will make more sense.

Modding this sim takes patience and some reading. I can not stress that enough. I wish I had that knowledge when I had started.

As far as the terrain editor goes, I havent messed with it in 6 years. I made a few terrains in 2003 and hated using that f***ing editor. As a few will atest to, keep a gun around with a round chambered so you can shoot yourself after it crashes on your and you lose your work for the 10th time. Also I recommend a good bottle of scotch, even if you don't drink, you will after using the TE, so your drink of choice might as well be a good scotch. :lol:

PappaGoat,

Here's a Link to Charles Web Site. Down at the bottom of the Page is a downloadable editting "Notes" that Charles did back in 2005. It's for SFP1 (First Gen) Series, But many of the Items still apply to SF2 Series. It has a detailed section on Campaign Edits and describes what the Entries does somewhat.....Here's the Link:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/CharlesEAW/sfpage.html

331KillerBee

PappaGoat,

Here's a Link to Charles Web Site. Down at the bottom of the Page is a downloadable editting "Notes" that Charles did back in 2005. It's for SFP1 (First Gen) Series, But many of the Items still apply to SF2 Series. It has a detailed section on Campaign Edits and describes what the Entries does somewhat.....Here's the Link:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/CharlesEAW/sfpage.html

331KillerBee

Which is also in the Knowledage Base too. :good::biggrin:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=8786

Cheers guys, I managed to figure it out.

I've been playing around trying to make more than one aircraft type available to a squadron in a campaign but have not had any luck. Any ideas or input?

You mean the same squadron, being able to fly different planes in the same time frame? Or you mean they later upgrade to another aircraft?

Your squadron can only fly one aircraft type at any given time. You can however set it up for the unit to get an upgrade later in the campaign on a specific date that you can choose.

You mean the same squadron, being able to fly different planes in the same time frame? Or you mean they later upgrade to another aircraft?

Your squadron can only fly one aircraft type at any given time. You can however set it up for the unit to get an upgrade later in the campaign on a specific date that you can choose.

Groan.... Yeh that first though was what I mean. For example, being able to fly the A-6B for SEAD missions

Pop:

What I do is make a new squadron.

Say,VA-113. Make one squadron VA-113 Det A with the A-6A and all the stuff.

Make another squadron VA-113 Det B. Put in say 6 aircraft(A-6B's). Put in 6 pilots and edit the mission percentages to mostly SEAD missions. Don't forget to put the squadron in the campaign.ini file.

You say you are new to editing so like Dave says Read 'everything' in the KB several times and then start experimenting. I am always rereading the KB to refresh my memory.

Before I edit a file I make a copy of it and put it in screenshots(a good place to store stuff). Then if I screw up ,the old file is there to save me.

Keep working on editing,this game was designed to be edited to the max.

Good Luck!! :good:

EzLead has got it.......That's the way I handle USMC VMCJ Squadrons that operate 3 to 4 different Types of Aircraft. I also use it later for VAQ-33. They operated 4 to 5 different Types durning the same timeframe.