Sign in to follow this  
Axgrinder

AX PC is dead.. needs help... NOT GONE!

Sorry boys but my computer is down right now. I was working on it last night and it just quit running. I unplugged it and let it sit for a minute when I plugged it back in the power light would come on for a few seconds then go out again. I think I fried my power supply!

ANY HINTS OR IDEAS FROM ANYONE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

I would like to have some ideas of the problem before I take this thing in to be fixed and I get ripped off by someone who knows more about computers than I do!

Getting up and running again may take some time so I don't know when I will be back online but you will be the first to know!

See ya when I see ya!

Title updated by OvS... you ain't going anywhere... just grounded for a little while buddy. :good:

Edited by OvS

Sorry boys but my computer is down right now. I was working on it last night and it just quit running. I unplugged it and let it sit for a minute when I plugged it back in the power light would come on for a few seconds then go out again. I think I fried my power supply!

ANY HINTS OR IDEAS FROM ANYONE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

I would like to have some ideas of the problem before I take this thing in to be fixed and I get ripped off by someone who knows more about computers than I do!

Getting up and running again may take some time so I don't know when I will be back online but you will be the first to know!

See ya when I see ya!

Axe, installing a power supply is the easiest thing to do on a PC. It would be worth it to get one of the same spec, if not more wattage from NewEgg and try it. It's all a bunch of connectors, 4 screws and one huge multi port power connector. For $50-60 bucks... I'd go that route and see if it helps. If not, at least you'll have a new power supply on hand... they tend to blow easy with all the new stuff out there.

Other than that... Mobo... but it really sounds like a PS to me... any smells? Open the hood and sniff around.

OvS

Axe, installing a power supply is the easiest thing to do on a PC. It would be worth it to get one of the same spec, if not more wattage from NewEgg and try it. It's all a bunch of connectors, 4 screws and one huge multi port power connector. For $50-60 bucks... I'd go that route and see if it helps. If not, at least you'll have a new power supply on hand... they tend to blow easy with all the new stuff out there.

Other than that... Mobo... but it really sounds like a PS to me... any smells? Open the hood and sniff around.

OvS

I did get that faint smell of ozone when I opened the cabinet! Not real strong very faint. I hope that doesn't mean I fried the MB!!! :sorry:

FYI: I have an HP m900t and I think it takes an ATX PSU 600-700 watt power supply. Any help on confirmation and where to purchase one would be great!

Edited by Axgrinder

Newegg is a nice on-line store where I have made several purchases. Fast shipping and no complaints here. They even replaced a MB I thought was bad, no questions asked--turns out it was the memory, not the MB! :blush:

Newegg is my main source also. Great prices and service. Newegg rocks!

I did get that faint smell of ozone when I opened the cabinet! Not real strong very faint. I hope that doesn't mean I fried the MB!!! :sorry:

FYI: I have an HP m900t and I think it takes an ATX PSU 600-700 watt power supply. Any help on confirmation and where to purchase one would be great!

I wouldn't worry about that smell. Almost every pc I have had smells like that after running a graphic intensive application. If you have a Bestbuy in your area they may have a suitable power supply for you too. The one near me has some surprisingly powerful ones. It would save you from having to wait for something to get shipped to you.

They have this beast in the store. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218007088315

I wouldn't worry about that smell. Almost every pc I have had smells like that after running a graphic intensive application. If you have a Bestbuy in your area they may have a suitable power supply for you too. The one near me has some surprisingly powerful ones. It would save you from having to wait for something to get shipped to you.

They have this beast in the store. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218007088315

Yes, Ax.. I meant like overwhelming. The PS probably blew the main fuse. So something in it is not happy. It takes a lot to blow a Mobo.. so I wouldn't worry about that. If the Mobo was blown, you would get nothing and a lot more smell.

Take a look at Corsair, I have a TX750W and the quality of its components are very solid.

But maybe its better to check the Watts on beforehand on http://extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

BTW Did you do the Voltage check to confirm the PSU damage???

Edited by Dutch_P47M

Oeps forgot something here, your Videocard is this a ATI or Nvidia? If it is a ATI go to the ATI web site and check for the ATI certified PSU, so you will avoiding PSU/ATI problems.

and read this: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/372/1/

I am running an Nvidia 8600

[quote BTW Did you do the Voltage check to confirm the PSU damage???

Unfortunately I don't know how to do that.

Wow! Big help Dutch. Danke

Tested the PSU tonight and got 0 reading! Looks like the PSU after all!

Good news Gents! It turned out to be the video card. I am putting in a better one. I should be up and running by Friday or Monday at the latest! (Fingers crossed)

Good for you Ax not only will you be back to flying but it will be better than before.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Good news Gents! It turned out to be the video card. I am putting in a better one. I should be up and running by Friday or Monday at the latest! (Fingers crossed)

Ax... just bear in mind the voltage draw of that card. Make sure your PS can handle it. Otherwise, the PS will blow out... been there... done that.

See... we're always here to help. :good:

OvS

My power supply max's out at 600. That should be enough!