Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Stock terrains update and new effects pack

Hello fellow FE simmers,

Here's my current WIP of updating default FE Cambrai and Verdun terrains with new seasonal textures, trees and cities, together with new effects pack.

Seasons include early spring, spring, summer, late summer/early fall, fall, early winter with light snow cover, winter. The default empty grass tiles have been replaced with less rectangular fields.

Early spring:

Spring:

Summer:

Fall:

Late fall:

Light winter:

Winter:

Together with some cities work:

And here are some effects, most default will be replaced with new unified versions:

When? About a week :smile:

Um... I think you meant to post these in the "Rise of Flight" forum over at SimHQ... :biggrin:

Seriously, looks amazing!!!

Malibu, ROF has no seasoning at all.

BTW, right now these are 256x256 tiles.

A question:

Did you replace the Rough terrain with Farmland on the Cambrai map since this area was heavily farmed ???

Yes, all rough tiles replaced with new farmlands, Cambrai only, as Verdun lack these tiles. Clearly visible on the second ("spring") pic, you can see default farm tiles in the bottom left corner, and new farmland to the center

Stary:

Great since this will make it more realistic & historically correct. :good:

Hey Stary

Do you see me drueling...I can't hardly wait. The landscape is going to be marvelous!!! :clapping:

OlPaint01

Great work!! Thanks for that in forward.

Will we get all seasons in one Pack?

If so, would it be possible to release it "Mod-enabler ready" Will say with right file structure?

Would be really nice.

Best regards :good:

PS: Maybe two packs: One for terrain and one for the effects. :clapping:

A6Intruder, I haven't used ModEnabler in a loong time, but sound very reasonable. Where's the most recent version available? Mine is from around late 2006...

I think one pack with all seasons and effects, maybe split into two parts for upload purposes. As usual the 2xbigger trees as optional download.

Hi Stary - you are true magician!

Again excellent work! :good:

Jan (Honza) :clapping:

--------------------------------------

post-36703-1250581996_thumb.jpg

P.S.: Proszę, czy by bylo możliwe zdradzić tajemnicę, w jaki sposób zrobić, iż tekstura jest u budynkow nawet na wnętrznych partiach. :dntknw:

I'm just reinstalling FE and the expansion, should I wait for your release of the terrain? Will be out in a "real" week?? :search:

Hi Stary - you are true magician!

Again excellent work! :good:

Jan (Honza) :clapping:

--------------------------------------

post-36703-1250581996_thumb.jpg

P.S.: Proszę, czy by bylo możliwe zdradzić tajemnicę, w jaki sposób zrobić, iż tekstura jest u budynkow nawet na wnętrznych partiach. :dntknw:

Jan,

Only until your Sudetenland work comes out :ok: waiting for it impatiently:rolleyes:

To make the solidobject type TODs two-sided, like in the destroyed buildings onthe picture, I use these settings for SolidObjectTextureMaterial in terrain_data.ini :

[solidObjectTextureMaterial]

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=TRUE

RenderedInOrder=TRUE <-enables correct solid objects scene sorting

AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE <-utilises TGA's alpha channel map, I use TGA files with transparency channel to represent the buildings like with trees

CullMode=NO_CULL <-other way you don't see backfaces of the solid mesh

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=FALSE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

ZBufferOffset=0.000000

BlendOp=BLEND_DST_ALPHA <-setting this to BLEND_SRC_ALPHA creates ugly transparent outline around the alpha channel texels

NumTextureStages=1

TextureStage[01].TextureName=

TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE

TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE

@Stratos: "week" means should be up on CombatAce for weekend (so I hope!)

@Panama Red -thanks, will check

Hi Stary...

Wow..this looks excellent mate..great work..would you consider some ideas for other WW1 Related Terrains for F.E. mate such as an Austro Hungarian Front or Italian Terrain or perhaps a Desert WW1 Terrain for Colonial Battles? My final possible request would be for a Somme or Pacheandale Terrain or a Russian Front WW1 Terrrain?

Many thanks...

Rab Watson

Fife

Scotland

Sockboy, terrain textures ain't that big problem. The terrains creation itself is the magical thing I have almost no idea about... Surely we all would like more WW1 theaters, but until some with skills takes the task, we'd have only what's available.

And, yes, I was trying twice to make terrains myself, it's PIA task, so admire the skilled ones that make them.

Really looking forward to this great improvement!! Hope is ready for the weekend.

BTW, maybe a terrain guru can move the Germans to the west and the "allies" to the east so with a good texture set we can have a Eastern theatre for WW1??

Will we get all seasons in one Pack?

If so, would it be possible to release it "Mod-enabler ready" Will say with right file structure?

@ A6Intruder,

Not sure why you are using the the mod enabler for seasonal terrains anymore. TK has incorporated in game calendar settings for seasonal shifts.

If you are flying a single mission, YOU choose the date/season from a drop down list based on aircraft start/end date. No mod enabler required! Much simpler!!!!

In campaign, the season is set to the campaign date. If you have another use for the mod enabler that I can't figure out, please let us know.

Stary! Really looking forward to this! Thank you very much.

Edited by B Bandy RFC

@ A6Intruder,

Not sure why you are using the the mod enabler for seasonal terrains anymore. TK has incorporated in game calendar settings for seasonal shifts.

If you are flying a single mission, YOU choose the date/season from a drop down list based on aircraft start/end date. No mod enabler required! Much simpler!!!!

In campaign, the season is set to the campaign date. If you have another use for the mod enabler that I can't figure out, please let us know.

Stary! Really looking forward to this! Thank you very much.

No mate. That is not the reason for using it!. You are right with every word but i use the enabler for quick install/deinstall of different mods. Especially for mods with many files like Terrains or Addonplanes. It is simple, safe and easy to use. Thats why i like it!

Best regards :good:

Stary is possible to get some "people" in the airfiels like you did with the cows on WOE?

@Stratos -I was thinking about adding them in cities, maybe on fields too... the problem is on airfields is they could sometimes stuck into hangars or parked airplanes, depending on given aerodrome's layout. Will try.

@Emp_Palpatine: Just do it. Install Peter's FM's. Fly Laton's planes. It's whole new simulation then :clapping:

Good news I discovered (hidden in the environmentsystem.dll) nice new AlphaObjectMaterial settings that creates almost no anomalies and renders trees nicely as seen on this Vogesen picture (yes, Vogesen works with this mod now, I'll post the necessary Vogesen_data.ini with this mod):

So almost no anomalies and nice soft trees :ok:

And for those that don't have it, here's picture from Rise Of Flight I took few days ago, seems some forest borders missing, as does the "gameplay"... :wink:

(ok, the ROF engine is faaar superior)

Back to work...