Sign in to follow this  
Schnitzel von Krumm

A little more twist

I realise this has probably been asked, answered and stickied, but being a thick-headed sort, I'll ask again anyway. Please be kind. :biggrin:

Is there anyway to adjust the amount of rudder response from a Logitech Force 3D Pro joystick? I'm a rudder nut (or ruddy nut as my wife says) and would like just a little more response from the back end (let's not bring my wife into that one :no: ).

Can this be adjusted? Am I missing something obvious? Should I just suck it up and buy some pedals?

Thanks in advance.

Hi SvK

When in game press esc -- in top right corner menu click on controls-- in controls window chose "all commands"-- scroll down the list to rudder(left or right)--there you should see two sliders --you can adjust rudder sensitivity by moving them to the right (My rudder movement assigned to 2 joystick buttons withh sliders on full)

HTH

Edited by messaround

Hi SvK

When in game press esc -- in top right corner menu click on controls-- in controls window chose "all commands"-- scroll down the list to rudder(left or right)--there you should see two sliders --you can adjust rudder sensitivity by moving them to the right (My rudder movement assigned to 2 joystick buttons withh sliders on full)

HTH

I knew there'd way to do it in this game. Thank you so much.

Krumm

Problem is, it won't take twisting action from the joysick as input. Dang.

I'll keep trying, and I'll let you know. Help would be heartily welcomed.

Thanks.

Edited by Schnitzel von Krumm

SvK,

"Is there anyway to adjust the amount of rudder response from a Logitech Force 3D Pro joystick? I'm a rudder nut (or ruddy nut as my wife says) and would like just a little more response from the back end (let's not bring my wife into that one :no: ).

Can this be adjusted? Am I missing something obvious? Should I just suck it up and buy some pedals?"

I can't answer the first two questions, but I can answer the third. You ADMIT to being a "rudder nut" and you have to ask if you should buy some pedals?????

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Yup.

I have a Saitek X52, and previously relied on the twist function for most flight sims for my rudder (though I have to admit to using less rudder input than I should - consquently, I'm a "sloppy" pilot). With all the "total immersion" of OFF, I decided it was time for me to "bite the bullet" and bought a set of Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals. WOW!

That made a huge difference to my flying.

Now my joystick twist function is locked, and I'm the proud owner of a decent set of pedals. It will improve your skills, and make your immersion experience more complete. If you ARE a rudder nut, and apply just a little here and there to keep the nose up a bit more etc, you will LOVE pedals. DO IT!

I have a Saitek X52, and previously relied on the twist function for most flight sims for my rudder (though I have to admit to using less rudder input than I should - consquently, I'm a "sloppy" pilot). With all the "total immersion" of OFF, I decided it was time for me to "bite the bullet" and bought a set of Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals. WOW!

That made a huge difference to my flying.

Now my joystick twist function is locked, and I'm the proud owner of a decent set of pedals. It will improve your skills, and make your immersion experience more complete. If you ARE a rudder nut, and apply just a little here and there to keep the nose up a bit more etc, you will LOVE pedals. DO IT!

SvK,

You'll also need to invest in a throttle and/or assign a "blip" button to your joystick (blipping your throttle is more realistic for some planes in BHaH, like the Nieuport 17, Camel, or DR1). Blipping the throttle can put immediate airflow over a sluggish tail end, especially when landing. And in aggressive maneuvers like the Immelmann, you'll need to cut throttle just before stalling, apply rudder to swing your tail around, and apply throttle again when you're falling in the reverse direction of travel. Takes a lot of practice!!

Have fun!

Hello,

i have been having rudder problems with Logitech joysticks before, however i thought they would have somehow overcome that. So the joystick rudder generally works, but you cannot adjust the rate of input in the control settings ? My Logitech JS regularly gave up its rudder function completely in mid-game, i had to unplug it, and plug it in again to work.

The control settings in the controls menu are sometimes a bit hard to set, and are not at all user-friendly or self-explaining - are you sure you defined the right axis for your rudder ?

Good luck,

Catfish

Hello,

i have been having rudder problems with Logitech joysticks before, however i thought they would have somehow overcome that. So the joystick rudder generally works, but you cannot adjust the rate of input in the control settings ? My Logitech JS regularly gave up its rudder function completely in mid-game, i had to unplug it, and plug it in again to work.

The control settings in the controls menu are sometimes a bit hard to set, and are not at all user-friendly or self-explaining - are you sure you defined the right axis for your rudder ?

Good luck,

Catfish

It just seems like it should give me more movement, both real and in game, than it does. I'm gonna have to suck it up and buy some pedals.

Chances are my wife will never notice them there under the desk, right? :biggrin:

I already take enough teasing over this hobby as it is.

It just seems like it should give me more movement, both real and in game, than it does. I'm gonna have to suck it up and buy some pedals.

Chances are my wife will never notice them there under the desk, right? :biggrin:

I already take enough teasing over this hobby as it is.

SvK,

Just a word of warning...rudder pedals (usually) come equipped with "Toe Brakes" which are completely ineffective in this sim. But what WILL happen when you activate your toe brakes in flight (sometimes when you're adjusting your seating position you'll inadvertently push your toes down) is that it activates the elevators and aileron controls, as they're tied to those controls in OFF)

I did a comprehensive step-by-step guide for how to remove them here but I can't find it. This thread will help you if you need it.

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=41614