Sign in to follow this  
Bullethead

The Hard Stuff

Wine is fine, beer's my dear, but liquor is quicker :good: . So far, we've listed our favorites straight off the yeast, but what do you like after it's been run through a still? Include what you like to sip and savor along with what you mostly get hammered on. Whether you like whisky, whiskey, tequila, vodka, schnapps, brandy, gin, or absinthe, name your favorite poisons.

Being a good Southerner, I was raised on the harsh taste of sour mash corn whiskey in my baby bottle, especially Jack Daniels. I've come to appreciate the smoother, sipping bourbons in my old age, especially the single cask stuff like 124-proof Bookers, which has enough alcohol burn to cover its lack of suphides.

Because of this upbrining, when it comes to whisky, the further west the better--LOVE that peat! Of course, only single malt will do, no blends. Laphroaig and especially Lagavulin are my favorites, but I'll take anything made on Islay.

I know next to nothing about tequilas, except that every 100% agave tequila I've tried has been WAY better than Cuervo or any other 51% agave horse piss. However, I do know enough to avoid blanchos and jovens. I go for reposadas and anejos. My current favorite is actually a tequila liquere called Agavero. (In case you don't know, you need a minimum of 51% agave to call yourself a tequila, so there are only the 2 extremes: 51% and 100%.)

I haven't yet met an absinthe I didn't like. Some have been slightly better than others, but I'm a fool for licorice so they all taste good to me.

Edited by Bullethead

I like "Black Bush" whiskey, Isley whiskeys, Bombay Sapphire gin, Fisherman friend licorice liqueur, Napoleon Mandarine liqueur, Finlandia Vodka... actually all goes :)

For me, it was Whisky, but very rarely. Isley Single Malts. But also Jack Daniel's.

No ice, no soda. The pure stuff, slowly.

Edited by Olham

Talking of Tequila .... The farmers in the semi-desert Karoo have discovered that Agave plants grow well there. It's just that they don't call it 'Tequila'. The Mexicans got a bit annoyed about this but they can't do anything about it as it is sold as 'agave spirit'. It just joins the list of banned names along with 'champagne', 'Port' and 'Sherry'. Nobody seems to have copyright on 'Gin', 'Vodka' or 'Whisk(e)y'. Personally I think this is all a bit idiotic - if you can't tell the difference between a Portugese port and the SA version you should go back to drinking Brandy and Coke.

Personally I drink South African Brandy, firstly because it is cheap and secondly because it is cheap. It also doesn't cost much here. :crazy:

Edited by JimAttrill

Jack Daniels...

... and for those that know it... George Dickel.. :good:

I forgot to mention rum. I like the old, dark type. The Old Black Rum from the Bahamas is probably my favorite, but it's hard to find so mostly I get Meyer's Dark Rum.

Jack Daniels...

... and for those that know it... George Dickel.. :good:

Oh yes, I know George, but haven't seen him around for years. Never found it locally and forgot all about until now. Sometimes Southern Comfort which is quite different

Daron XO calvados, and a good single malt scotch, currently I'm working my way (slowly) through a bottle of Oban I got as a birthday present.

Rum for me, Bacardi do a nice spice version and I managed once to get a bottle of Navy Rum from a Royal Navy display stand during a festival at Chatham Dockyard. Now that was warming as it went down....didnt seem to last very long though, I think there was a problem with evaporation :angel:

I'm a pretty simple fella, easy to please. As far as brown liquor goes, IMO there ain't nuthin' better'n a good shot of Wild Turkey, any way you want to slice it. Vodka + me = instant a$$hole. If I feel like a trip south of the border it's gotta be Mezcal, straight up with salt and lemon. The Capt Jack Sparrow in me likes the Bacardi 151 or Capt Morgan spiced rum over the rocks with a splash of good ol' American Pepsi Cola. Mostly these days though it's just Clydesdale piss.

CJ

I'm a pretty simple fella, easy to please. As far as brown liquor goes, IMO there ain't nuthin' better'n a good shot of Wild Turkey, any way you want to slice it. Vodka + me = instant a$$hole. If I feel like a trip south of the border it's gotta be Mezcal, straight up with salt and lemon. The Capt Jack Sparrow in me likes the Bacardi 151 or Capt Morgan spiced rum over the rocks with a splash of good ol' American Pepsi Cola. Mostly these days though it's just Clydesdale piss.

CJ

Champagne any vintage or wine are fine. In the younger days ,just about anything wet

Carrick58

Goodness, where to begin? I typically drink single malt scotch, but other liquors in order of preference:

Scotch: Cragganmore, Laphroaig, Glenmorangie, Balvenie Double Wood

Bourbon: Maker's Mark

Rum: Tortouga, Mount Gay

Tequila: Don Julio Reposado

Vodka: Stoli, Three Olives

Gin: Bombay Sapphire

First of all, I can't stand the taste of Scotch. When I was stationed at the Holy Loch, not far from Glasgow, I played in a band with some of the guys off of the ship. On many occasions while playing in some of the local bars, patrons would offer to buy the band a drink. The first few times I just said "whiskey" (I guess I forgot where I was) and you can imagine my surprise, when I had my taste buds all set for a shot of bourbon, and tasted scotch! I gagged and hacked and said "What the (^$ is that?" The guy said, "Whiskey!" That's when I developed a taste for Bacardi and Coke.

Not much for the hard stuff

More of a wine ...now lately a beer drinker

But Crown Royal and Coke is my #1

Occasionally I'll buy their Special Blend (or somting like that)

Comes in a Gold box and is a blend of their finest over several years - extra smoooth

Also like Vodka Tonics

Usually buy Kettle One, not cuz it's spectacular, but I'd rather spend more money on wine

But if I'm in a Martini mood, it's Vox

5 times distilled it's unmatched, and hard to find

I drink "Dirty Martini's" - add a splash outta the olive jar

On on a hot humid day like we've been having lately - Pina Coloda's

Not particular about the Rum, just a cool fun drink

As I've got older, my tastes have matured - I dont mind roughing it with the occasional bottle of Bud, or Koppaberg swedish pear cider, but my REAL tastes lie with Remy Martin Coeur de cognac - its by far the best tasting cognac I've ever had. - The next best for me would be for a single malt scotch such as Oban or glenmorangie :good:

Also a good Gin & tonic doesnt go a miss from time to time!!!

Edited by Tonyo - legion

I've always been partial to me rum. Takes me back to me time at sea. Most have been a past life thing. I've been drinking blended whiskey as of late and I find that it agrees with me.

Love Beer, appreciate Wine, avoid Spirits is me

Love Beer, appreciate Wine, avoid Spirits is me

There are many a night when I have a beer upon coming home from work, a glass of wine with my lovely bride at dinner and then a wee nip of single malt to relax after dinner. That way I'm hitting all classes of the tasty adult beverages in an evening.

Its hard to beat a splash of Jack Daniels over some ice, which reminds me that my Daughter got me a fifth for my birthday a couple of months ago, just might have to crack the seal.

In the category of Rum, Mount Gay Esclipse is my Favorite. I have about a dozen Mount Gay Rum hats as they sponser lots of sailboat races ( what I do for fun besides flight sims). Recently someone brought a bottle of Old Monk from India and I think I might have a new favorite. It has a nice Carmel aroma with a Whiskey like aftertast.

I have always wanted to try Absinthe reqret not ordering some last time I was in Canada, I think I heard that it has been allowed into the States recently. What would be a good Brand to try?

I've tried drinking damn near anything that looks, smells and resembles booze.

While in the military every payday just to start go to the canex by 2 cartons of smokes (6 bucks cdn a carton) back then and 2 cases of Vodka for the week. Next week repeat week one.

Keep Vodka in the freezer and man she goes down like water. Finally got tired of being sick and tired quit all booze some 23 years ago.

First of all, I can't stand the taste of Scotch. When I was stationed at the Holy Loch, not far from Glasgow, I played in a band with some of the guys off of the ship. On many occasions while playing in some of the local bars, patrons would offer to buy the band a drink. The first few times I just said "whiskey" (I guess I forgot where I was) and you can imagine my surprise, when I had my taste buds all set for a shot of bourbon, and tasted scotch! I gagged and hacked and said "What the (^$ is that?" The guy said, "Whiskey!" That's when I developed a taste for Bacardi and Coke.

You're talking about blended whisky. Grouse, Bells, etc. It's very famous, but horrible to drink, especially neat. I've done it myself, been in a club or somewhere and somebody's bought you a whisky. You knock it back without thinking. (If you ask for whisky, that's what you're usually given). Your pride forces you to smile through the body shock. Going back a few years, the only blend I ever thought was OK was Johnny Walker Red Label. Hard to get in the UK because it was only for export. (I heard).

If you stick to single Malts, you'll be much safer. There's quite a variety to the flavours, some are pretty throaty, and some are pretty smooth, and it's a matter of personal taste. Irish Whiskeys are pretty smooth, you Bushmills, Jamiesons etc. Smoothest Scotch I know is probably Macallans, although I do have a bottle which came from a special barrel made for the recently deceased Duke of Buccleuch. It's something else. That man knew his whisky. It's great stuff, but I'm scared to drink it. Once it's gone it's gone. Oh the dilema!!!

Oh, and if there isn't a cork in the bottle, be afraid, be very afraid...