Solomons Islands - version 3.0

Solomon Islands Terrain -Version 3-

For SF/WoV/WoE WW2 PTO mods, 06 Patch Level ONLY

This is a COMPLETE and TOTAL rebuild of Edward's WW2 Solomon Islands map. It has been completely retiled (pretty much by hand!) to use the VietnamSEA tiles, and the Green Hell trees/jungle TODs; several of which are NEW, and only availalbe in this mod. This is a FULL terrain, with just about everything included for you to unzip and use, with minimal difficulty. It has been fully upgraded to make use of the 06 level terrain effects, so Vista users please take note. It is designed to TOTOLLY replace any and all eariler versions.

This is a fairly 'target rich' environment -- the types and targets inis have pretty much been rebuilt from scratch, and the 'locations' in the Solomons_Nations.ini has been divided up into the various island named regions of this Theatre. There are also several completly NEW ground/terrain objects, creating via edits of pre-existing terrain objects.

You MUST have ALL the Pacific Objects (ground units, ships, AAA, infantry, etc) already installed in you PTO version of the game; otherwise things may not be appearing. This is especially important for the ships -- the Liberty ship, and all warships, both Allied and Japanese. It's HIGHLY reccomended you have Gepard's "Midway" terrain installed, along with his IJN/USN naval units -- I've made use of them for both Fleets. Don't forget to check Geo's page for more WW2 goodies ... there's a lot of stuff that's usable (and used!) here as well. Some items are included (see below in the 'To Install' for details)

There ARE some historical flaws, which as most of you know cheeses me off to now end; they are somewhat detailed in the "Notes & Explinations" section below.

The data ini has been upgraded to the semi-latest standards (ie: 2006 patch level). Water effects are active, so Vista users beware...more information for you is below in the Install Instructions. See "Notes for Vista Users". While not designed for use in 08 or SF2 level games, it is quite easily adaptable with minor additions/changes to the data ini. Consult the CombatAce Knowledge Base or the several hundred threads on the matter.

= MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST, WW2 NATIONS INI IN YOUR FLIGHT FOLDER =

= MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST WW2 FORMATIONS INI IN YOUR FLIGHT FOLDER =

== MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST WEAPONS PAK FOR THE WW2 WEAPONS!! ==

It has been tested in SF, WoV and WoE, using their cats pointed to in the main ini. As most of the new objects will be residing directly in the terrain folder, you should have no problems. (see the CombatAce Knowledge Base for the tutorial on using the cat pointer line).

Follow these instructions herein =EXACTLY= and you should have no problems. It's HIGHLY reccomended you read this document completly through before installing this mod.

Note: There are several new terrain objects still in the works (some parked? docked? moored? seaplanes); they just aren't ready yet. So, rather than wait until they're done, I've chosen to release this "as-is". Expect an update with these 3 objects are finalized (those are actually the only thngs missing -- everything else is done!). This will, at least, give the Campaign Builders something to work with.

As always, it's reccomended you unzip this to a temp folder or your desktop to gain acess to the rest of the readme.

Good Hunting!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Honestly your terrains are worth the effort for more modern settings, thanks!

The Ancient One strikes again :ok:

I've been wanting to do a clean ww2 install to check out all the new goodies you guys are brewing for that era, so this works great. And your new tiles and target areas will be curiously searched and inspected from different angles. :biggrin:

Thanks Wrench!

Thanks guys!

PB: some of the new tiles may or may not have the bmps in the terrain folder, but converting the tga to bmp for TE use is pretty easy. Now, creating NEW jungle TODS...well....I just couldn't figure it out! Fer Instance, the new jungle/river/grass tile needs a custom jungle tod

EricJ: I actually have a superb idea for a modern map, but I can't get the damn DEMs to merge correctly (ie: stitch together the bmps) to create the region I want. hint: think USNF, and someplace sorta cold. Of course, for modern times, there's the unfinished Inda-Pakistan and Panama terrains. Someday..... :biggrin:

wrench

kevin stein

Actually I've never played USNF, after Jane's ATF... I lost interest, as I was also playing Su-27 Flanker 1.0, so... I was more interested a fleshed out plane than a hundred abstract planes. So... a bit more regional help would help... but I can't wait until Baltika finishes his project... or gets a good beta out. I miss Norway :smile:

This is a cropped down image from a map by MKShepard; the original HFD covered pretty much the ENTIRE western Pacific basin, from the top of New Guinea to Kamchatka -the HFD weighs in at 840+ megs!!!

I'm marked the 'region in question'.

Now, I just need MK to create an HFD I can import (and tile using GermanyCE as that seems to be the closest 'fit', expecially with the snowy mountain, and the Forest and Fields mod)

This'll also give all those nice JASDF aircraft we have somewhere's to play in. And perfect for a Harrier campaign (just like USNF)

wrench

kevin stein

This is a cropped down image from a map by MKShepard; the original HFD covered pretty much the ENTIRE western Pacific basin, from the top of New Guinea to Kamchatka -the HFD weighs in at 840+ megs!!!

I'm marked the 'region in question'.

Now, I just need MK to create an HFD I can import (and tile using GermanyCE as that seems to be the closest 'fit', expecially with the snowy mountain, and the Forest and Fields mod)

This'll also give all those nice JASDF aircraft we have somewhere's to play in. And perfect for a Harrier campaign (just like USNF)

wrench

kevin stein

I see now... man that would be nice though for the whole area... be alot of work but 840MB? I'll download it :)

does it contain singapore and the malay peninsula? I'd be stoked to hear that it does actually. ^_^

Great looking re-work of this terrain, Wrench, thanks. All the huts give it a very "South Seas" look.

And the flak over the Japanese airfields is pretty challenging!

Another winner Kevin. Thanks.

Even though you only recommend the 06 patch, why won't the new WWII FMs from the 1% guys work? Basically wrong planeset?

But still, thank you.

-Jeff