Sign in to follow this  
Gremlin_WoH

Long Overdue Interview with neoqb

My long overdue interview with neoqb is now online. My questions had been sent in to neoqb on 15-May-2009. Due to unforeseen circumstances their answers did not came back until 13-Aug-2009. Therefore some of the answers are outdated by now. But anyway maybe you can find some new information as well for example neoqb's plans for the future: Interview on Wings Of Honor

Cheers

Edited by Gremlin_WoH

Good read, thanks Gremlin :good:

On a side note it looks like RoF is having a melt down of sorts at another forum after this interview Gremlin. Real shame but honestly I don't understand why these guys are getting so upset at neoqb? The very real problems (and lack of features) that were always possible and present with RoF were always right there from the start, so why do people blame a developer when they choose to ignore or even entertain even the slighest possibility that these problems could really happen? I'm not defending neoqb actions by any stretch as I think they also played a little "rope a dope" with potential customers. They should have STRESSED over and over that RoF would be an MP mainly title and there was a possibility SP might get some attention after all MP issues were ironed out. Instead they let the fan base run wild with speculations with no founded truth and did nothing in the way of a reality check, I guess in the end the almighty dollar win's again :dntknw:

Good read, thanks Gremlin good.gif

On a side note it looks like RoF is having a melt down of sorts at another forum after this interview Gremlin. Real shame but honestly I don't understand why these guys are getting so upset at neoqb? The very real problems (and lack of features) that were always possible and present with RoF were always right there from the start, so why do people blame a developer when they choose to ignore or even entertain even the slighest possibility that these problems could really happen? I'm not defending neoqb actions by any stretch as I think they also played a little "rope a dope" with potential customers. They should have STRESSED over and over that RoF would be an MP mainly title and there was a possibility SP might get some attention after all MP issues were ironed out. Instead they let the fan base run wild with speculations with no founded truth and did nothing in the way of a reality check, I guess in the end the almighty dollar win's again dntknw.gif

The problem isn't really (necessarily) about SP or MP. Yes, there was always at least a certain leaning toward MP, and that was discussed publicly.

The real issue - and the catalyst behind the current MP/SP argument on that 'other forum' - is that neither side currently has what they feel is anywhere near a product worth what they paid. Your statement "I think [Neoqb] also played a little "rope a dope" with potential customers" is spot-on. They aren't communicating at all, and the few places you can go for any information are overwhelmed with snotty fanboys (forgive me, but it's true). I am appalled at some of the lame answers and excuses they've handed out, second only to the pathetic excuse for 'customer service' that is exhibited. Every time anyone has anything negative to say about the product - never mind that it's an accurate assessment and shared by many others - the poster is rediculed, or implicated as the cause of the problem, etc.

In fact, one of my favorite recent posts over at the 'other forum' was one by a chap called "Sunchaser". In (yet another) thread discussing the many flaws of RoF - not maliciously, but open and honestly, mind you - Sunchaser said [sic] "Someone will be along shortly to tell you why it's all your fault." I honestly thought I'd wet myself laughing.

I own RoF; I bought it as early as the release was available. I will never (ever) buy another product from neoqb, nor from 777 Studios. They are the most rude, unprofessional, defensive bunch of people I've ever seen. They've conspired to foist a half-done product - at full price - on a public that is largely outraged, and rightfully so. And they (neoqb and 777, as well as the many fanboys) are still hiding behind the lame excuse that it was always public knowledge that it would be what it is.

Nothing could be further from the truth. If they had been so forthcoming about all the problems thus far, then A. No one would be stupid enough to buy it to being with(and make no mistake, neoqb and 777 knew this), and B. No one would have any right to complain now (which they certainly do).

And yes, I gave both this Jason person at 777 and neoqb ample time and opportunity to address my legitimate concerns, which I expressed in writing. And I was completely ignored by both. As I said, rude and unprofessional. Completely unacceptable (and I know - I run Customer Technical Support for the largest technology provider in our industry). Not responding to a Customer - right, wrong, or indifferent - is just wrong.

My advice would currently be to avoid RoF like the plague. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was drawn in by this mess, but it's too late for me; they already got my money. (Let's not even get started on how it's practically impossible to legally sell it if you're not happy with it). But, at least I can hope to spare as many others this huge disappointment as possible.

Best regards.

Edited by Tamper

I hate to say told you so, but i'm left with little option.

As the RoF developers rightly point out, this was always gonna be the case.

Those guys can't complain about RoF now, they willingly went along with the developer, went along with the publisher, and they believed the advertising. ignored the reviews, so they got exactly what they paid for.

For the better part of 5 years developers and publishers have slowly evloved to expensive eye-candy with little substance, and consumers have gone along with it without passing comment. Rof is just the latest example of where this kind of practice lands a developer, publisher and its consumers.

In the old days, you paid a small team of programmers and artists a low wage in exchange for millions of dollars worth of game. now you pay developers millions and mostly get far less in return.

There are small islands of good developers and wise successful publishers, but like their geographical equivalents, a lot of what good is left, has being swamped by the rising tide.

Edited by matt milne

I hate to say told you so, but i'm left with little option.

As the RoF developers rightly point out, this was always gonna be the case.

Those guys can't complain about RoF now, they willingly went along with the developer, went along with the publisher, and they believed the advertising. ignored the reviews, so they got exactly what they paid for.

For the better part of 5 years developers and publishers have slowly evloved to expensive eye-candy with little substance, and consumers have gone along with it without passing comment. Rof is just the latest example of where this kind of practice lands a developer, publisher and its consumers.

In the old days, you paid a small team of programmers and artists a low wage in exchange for millions of dollars worth of game. now you pay developers millions and mostly get far less in return.

There are small islands of good developers and wise successful publishers, but like their geographical equivalents, a lot of what good is left, has being swamped by the rising tide.

I don't disagree with what (I think) you're saying, to a point. But as far as 'ignoring reviews', there were none. Again, I ordered for shipment as soon as it was available. And the Developers did not 'rightly point out' that their customers would be ignored, or that they were releasing a product that was little more than 'eye-candy'. We (the potential buyers) were led to believe that although it's a 'work-in-progress', it would have a mission builder, it would have a SP mode, and (of course, the RoF mantra) a usable MP mode. It really has none of the above.

So, please, don't blame the consumer here. Yes, we showed some faith in a new developer - but there was plenty of hype to get us on board. The only thing we're guilty of is believing them.

I

So, please, don't blame the consumer here. Yes, we showed some faith in a new developer - but there was plenty of hype to get us on board. The only thing we're guilty of is believing them.

It's sort of an Arch Duke Nukem Forever situation then. :lol:

yes, looks much like it, as you rightly point out this isn't the first or last example.

well that's the problem with modern marketing, they tell you what you want to buy, and you then want it.

several users, beta testers etc posted their own reviews. Though you had to search hard to find them, and read between the lines to know what would happen. most frequently used phrases were "may have been released before it was ready" "money grabbing" "the graphics are superb" that was enough to let me know not to waste my money on it. The more hyped a product is, the worse it is.

it's like it is in some film studios, they put focus on graphics and effects to distract you from the fact that there's very little underneath.

Had the public refused to buy it they would either have been forced to rethink the product, or been forced out of the business entierly. but because consumers supported it, they took that as a sign that it was ok to do that.

it is a practice that has degraded the industry, and lowered the quality of other products substantially. great genius designers have had their games ruined by the less-than-virtuous business practices of those wanabees around them. it is a practice that must stop. But as long as the public are willing to go along with it, that situation will not change.

I agree guys, I got RoF as a belated Fathers Day gift from my son's. I personally was going to wait at least 6 months to see if RoF survived it's growing pains. But my son's know combat sims are my thing so they got it for me without my knowledge, sure wished I could have stopped them. They feel kind of bad because they see I have only flew this sim less then 10x since I got it, I always tell them it's the thought that counts, but when it comes to PC games please ask Dad firstgrin.gif .

Geez, no love for the the best pun I've come up with in weeks.

Okay, let me go bit by bit and see if it works:

- ROF is a WWI flight sim.

- WWI was started by the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

- Duke Nukem Forever was a game notorious for being over-hyped and taking a long time to finish.

- Some people are saying that ROF is over-hyped and taking a long time to finish.

So . . . you put them all together and . . . it's Arch Duke Nukem Forever.

Huh? Huh?

What are you people, an audience or an oil painting?

LOL it's a great pun von Krumm but DNF finally got the ax, read it in Game Informer a couple months back drinks.gif

Salute.gifDuke where ever you maybe

LOL it's a great pun von Krumm but DNF finally got the ax, read it in Game Informer a couple months back drinks.gif

Salute.gifDuke where ever you maybe

I know, but I still couldn't resist.

It wasn't meant as a prediction for the future of ROF either. I just love a good pun. Or I would, apparently, if I ever made one, which apparently I haven't. Sniff.

I believe it was proven beyond a reasonable doubt by the World Court at The Hague that there is no good pun.

I believe it was proven beyond a reasonable doubt by the World Court at The Hague that there is no good pun.

Damn you. Now I'm going to be up all night trying to think of a devastatingly witty pun involving the Hague, just to prove you wrong.

A good pun involving Hague? United Nations

*lol* I'm very sorry I was totally not aware of the whole Duke Nukem thing, Schnitzel. But, I am from the deep South. You have to go slow for us :) (And sure enough, you posted the bit-by-bit part...and now, the light cometh on!) And it was a very clever pun, after all :)

*lol* I'm very sorry I was totally not aware of the whole Duke Nukem thing, Schnitzel. But, I am from the deep South. You have to go slow for us :) (And sure enough, you posted the bit-by-bit part...and now, the light cometh on!) And it was a very clever pun, after all :)

I appreciate your appreciation. I feel like a failure on the Hague thing, though. One day I'll just start giggling my head off and nobody will know why. That'll be the day it comes to me.

And as for Southerners being slow, that's just that you want us to think. :yes:

I'm Canadian, and I've see you guys let your guard down a bit when there's no Yankees around, and there's not a Southerner I'd want for an enemy.

Except maybe that "Hey Vern" guy. Geez he bugs me.

I appreciate your appreciation. I feel like a failure on the Hague thing, though. One day I'll just start giggling my head off and nobody will know why. That'll be the day it comes to me.

And as for Southerners being slow, that's just that you want us to think. yes.gif

I'm Canadian, and I've see you guys let your guard down a bit when there's no Yankees around, and there's not a Southerner I'd want for an enemy.

Except maybe that "Hey Vern" guy. Geez he bugs me.

*hehehe* I married "the worst kind of Yankee" (from New York). A sweet girl, and a darn good cook :) And I've actually been to the Great White North a couple times; my company has a job in Toronto, and I was in Montreal on business in late June. It's a great place...good beer drinks.gif and French-speaking girls grin.gif And I think that Ernest probably bugged

a lot of people *lol* It was funny at first, but leave it to the media to run something into the ground.