Sign in to follow this  
PureBlue

Populating the stock Airbases

I'm a bit confused now, are these extra objects applied to the default airbases or not?

In other words is it possible to apply them to the stock dynamic campaigns in SF2E?

If so, has anybody ever managed a workaround to the startup position so that we could start the game on the ramp and possibly with engine off? If this is not possible, how does yap achieve that?

...I assume yap comes with its own custom airbases and runway start positions extended down to where the ramp is :) the only question is how does it handle wingmen?

Hope it makes sense

Luca

That's really cool guys!!!!

Is there any way to start from the ramps with engines off instead of the runways with engines on? I was thinking about dirty tricks (such as somehow treat the ramps as a runway extension? :)

Well Luca, there is only 3 new objects in my shots. The rest is all stock objects.

Starting from the ramp is not possible (in a usable way) with the single mission and campaign game starts.

It's only in custom single missions (like the yap ones) you can have your own plane start in a bunker or taxiway. Rest of the flight must start from the beginning of runway. In YAP it's done in some intelligent ways that play out pretty well..

hey PB, i hope you get some new inspiration with this hehe

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=8296

well, the fire extinguisher and the equipment to engine starting is very present in an Airbase :good:

pureblue,

Those additions to the flightline are fantastic! It really adds life to the base. Were these added via the same method as comprt's HAS's the EOR area and lights?

-S

Yes Storm, this mod would come packaged similar to comrpnt QRA/Lights mod.

Modified Germanyce_targets.ini with the new ramp/parking areas added to various Airfields.

Modified Germanyce_types.ini which will have the definitions for the new objects we created.

New German_Airbase*_Ramp1.ini files which contain the values for Parked Aircraft Position, and the Lighting around the airfield.

New Lod and BMP files for the new objects we create.

Since it will come like this, we might want to think about other mods/campaigns which modify the same files. So you aren't forced to choose between them.

For example I could merge this mod with comrpnt's QRA/Lights mod.. Don't know if NATO Fighters will be modifying the targets, I reckon it will..

So I'm going ahead and creating these but still thinking, what would be the best way to package this?

(I'll be on vacation for a few days, will pick up when I come back)

I'm a bit confused now, are these extra objects applied to the default airbases or not?

In other words is it possible to apply them to the stock dynamic campaigns in SF2E?

If so, has anybody ever managed a workaround to the startup position so that we could start the game on the ramp and possibly with engine off? If this is not possible, how does yap achieve that?

...I assume yap comes with its own custom airbases and runway start positions extended down to where the ramp is :) the only question is how does it handle wingmen?

Hope it makes sense

Luca

One hack you could try (which is mentioned by Luca w.r.t YAP) - and certainly I played with this for the ODS mod - is to recode the taxi positions on the airbase. The up side is that you can in theory taxi out from a ramp start and your wingmen could do the same. The down sides are:

i) AI wingmen will always move up to the next taxi holding point in the list, unless an earlier one is free, so from a revetment start the AI will move the aircraft to the next revetment in line until the first one in line, and then out onto the taxiway, and then on to departure. So, in short AI aircraft will taxi through the revetments to the neighbouring one etc.

ii) If a taxi holding point is free (and not necessarily the next in line in the order you specify leading back from the entrance to the appropriate runway) then the AI is a little too smart and jumps the queue and heads straight for that next available taxi holding location - effectively cutting across the grass and messing up the idea of following the taxiways around the edge of the airbase to the runway departure point.

See?...

img000121024x768-4.jpg

img000131024x768-5.jpg

img000141024x768-4.jpg

NOTE THE BUFF TAKING A SHORT CUT IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE PICTURE - cheeky blighter!

img000161024x768-3.jpg

...and so on.

So I stopped playing around at this point. This might be worth another investigation (as small fighter airbases might be easier to control) but I'm a little busy at present so if someone wants to take this on I'll talk them through what I know in detail to get them started.

Cheers, regards, comrpnt.

Fire extinguisher.

More items to come!

here you can find some more nice 3d models...

http://dmi.chez-alice.fr/modelsrescue1.html

http://dmi.chez-alice.fr/models0.html

http://dmi.chez-alice.fr/modelsvehicle1.html

http://dmi.chez-alice.fr/modelstruck1.html

http://customize.ru/3d_models_auto_others2.html

f.e. VW Beatle & VW Golf were used by the Luftwaffe

in a big number...

Edited by Soulfreak

just in case you need a fire truck i have a Faun 6x4 almost finish on my hard disk if you like to use it give me a mail

SoulFreak, that is an absolutely INCREDIBLE find...great work!!! :clapping:

Don't forget this one too for industrial vehicles located here, and make sure you use the arrows on the right/left side of the pages to naviage: http://dmi.chez-alice.fr/modelstruck1.html

You Modders, SoulFreak really hit the motherload! These I think are in Lightwave format and need to be converted, and perhaps appropriately camo-textured, any volunteers willing to step up?

Here are some real previews of what is possible...!!! WOW!!! :yikes:

RavenClaw and AmokFloo - GO, GO, GO!!! Thank you for your efforts on this! :good:

jcb_435b.gif

lowboy.gif

mack_dumper.gif

fridge1.gif

man_%20ltm.gif

caterpillar.gif

renault_c280.gif

trailer_tanker.gif

trailer.gif

What are the polycounts on those? If they're anything about 2000 they won't be of any use, so might as well just build new models on top.

Can all that stuff be destroyed, targeted and attacked etc?

Hey Comrpnt, thanks you made my day!

I would be happy to do a couple of tests, considering I'm not too fussy about proper taxi ordering, especially since ramp startup is much better than runway start :)

what tools do you use to edit the airbases and what file do you edit / extract ?

lastly have either you or Luca from Yap found a way to start the mission with engines off?

Thanks

Luca

Julhelm, what's the upper limit on the PolyCount? What's the preferred range for speed/performance?

Here's the Draw-Back to doing this work.

I've been Modding Bases and Object Placements for awhile now. And I continue building them. As it stands right now, Framerates is a concern. But a bigger Concern is the effect on Loading Times. Many of You do, I'm assure, Do as I do, Put in Mods like Trees and more Buildings via Mods being offered by the Community. Such Mods run OK, But if You've noticed, It effects Loading Times. The more Objects placed in the Terrain, The more the Game Engine has to Render out. So, If a User doesn't mind waiting awhile for the Game to Load up durning the Loading Screen, Then all this Work will be OK.

One thing an "Advanced Modder" can do to help out the Game Engine, Is to make a "Custom .CAT". It won't help out in Loading Times, But it will keep Terrain Bugs down to a minimum. There are two Rules that involve building a "Custom .CAT".

1) You can not increase the number of Files the Stock .CAT came with in building a "Custom .CAT". The Game Engine reads the Header of the .CAT for .CAT Name and number of Files in it.

2) You can Edit and add to any File that came with the Stock .CAT. But You can't add any more Files than what came with it.

Example of this: I have "Green Hell2" and Comprnt's Lighting Mods, plus any Enviromental Terrain Mod in one .CAT. No loose Files. The only loose Files are additions to the Terrain such as the Objects that are seen eariler in this Post.

One other benifit of doing a "Custom .CAT" is that it keeps the Terrain File size down. Any additional Files (Additional Mods)would go into that Terrain Folder making it more easier to locate certian Files.

Just some things to think about......

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

hello,

have start rebuild some objects for SF2 (will work with sfp1)

I redo hangar1 and hangar3 with doors open, internal iron structure, windows and put parking location in it.

have start to redo half cylinder shelter to do a more realistic one, with open door (i put animation to close the doors)

if you want them ?

++

hello,

have start rebuild some objects for SF2 (will work with sfp1)

I redo hangar1 and hangar3 with doors open, internal iron structure, windows and put parking location in it.

have start to redo half cylinder shelter to do a more realistic one, with open door (i put animation to close the doors)

if you want them ?

++

Oui !!!! Volontiers

Hou doe,

Derk grin.gif

nice work on the forklift Florian!

What about your nice Büchel tower?

it can be used also on other GAF / Nato Airbases...

Allready in development! :grin: Same for the Hardened aircraft shelters.

Guys, one of the ways we can pull this all together, and yes I could volunteer to do this, is to create a custom Installer! We could package all the work being done together (e.g., the .LODs, _Type.INI entries, etc.). Then, I could do some custom coding on the Installer and there we go - if it doesn't work out for you, just uninstall. Maybe in the long-term this would be an easy way to bring this altogether...?

If Diego volunteers the use of his characters, I could do something else since those are already really good.

Interesting you should say this Julhelm, that is one of the topics Diego and I spoke about previously. In fact, Diego was very, very kind as to grant me for personal use his fantastic sampans. Everyone knows that the Vietnam Rivers were thoroughly congested with river traffic: "Swarms of boats, of all shapes and sizes were bobbing around." I hated the fact that the rivers had one or two white Sampans floating around, and decided to make them more realistic, more busy, more lively. Due to Diego's generosity, here's what I've come up with...Imagine if he would grant us permission to use his incredible "people" - more possibilities and other areas could get a more realistic overhaul, especially the airbases...!

Sampan017.jpg

Sampan019.jpg

that boats will look a little strange on German rivers.... :lol:

Really excellent.

It is the most beautiful I've seen.

For me since I always liked the idea of giving life to airports and places where it is normal to see much movement.

It gives more realism and better feeling on the fly.

I have created several models in low polys.

Which with a little paint and look good.

d28bb05bd013c1b941600384457877e7o.jpg

I share with you some ideas to put more crews to one of our aircraft carriers.

0675f178fd7f7e49646c3d5ef55d43ebo.jpg

d5b0bb21d7cb640340a59b30f58aa49fo.jpg

7b06dfb82bf97b38b89f50f1fbb88ec2o.jpg

A little bastard hjajajajaja "SUICIDAL"

47ebd54218b5ddb42bb1e425a01032d3o.jpg