Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

multiple skins for drop tanks?

Is there a way to implement multiple skins for drop tanks. From searching on the forum there appears to be but I cant seem to find anything definitive. What I have are three different skins for a plane. I would like the planes' drop tank to have a different color/scheme to match each skin.

Is there a way to implement multiple skins for drop tanks. From searching on the forum there appears to be but I cant seem to find anything definitive. What I have are three different skins for a plane. I would like the planes' drop tank to have a different color/scheme to match each skin.

On 3rd party aircraft, I have done it only by making different tanks and making the aircraft through ini editing able to load different tanks.

On stock aircraft, the tanks are part of the model and the knowledge base contains instructions.

there is a way!

In the 2nd generation of the TW Series (SF2, SF2V, SF2E) some stock aircrafts

have the drop tanks includet in the model. That means you can paint the tank on the skins bitmap and you can add decals on them.

on the other way, for aircrafts that have not the drop tank includet in the model, you can easy copy and edit the tank (rename, change ini of the tank and add new bitmap). Thats nearly the same in both generations of TW sims.

Edited by Soulfreak

Thank you very much fellas. This explains a few things I didnt understand in what I found earlier on the subject. I'll give it a whirl here soon when I get a moment.

Svetlinnh, you mentioned you edited the LOD. I have HHD Hex editor and have tried to rename the bmp listed in the LOD. Thought I had it but the tanks still dont show. They are in the weapons editor but not the game. Ive made the adjustments you mentioned for the data.ini for the plane...

// Weapon Stations ---------------------------------------------------------

[CenterlineStation]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=1

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition= 0.0,-0.31,-0.60

AttachmentAngles=0.0,-0.0,0.0

LoadLimit=510.0

AllowedWeaponClass=FT

AttachmentType=WP

FuelTankName=LA-15 Drop Tank

[CenterlineStation2]

StationID=2

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=510.0

AllowedWeaponClass=FT

AttachmentType=WP

FuelTankName=LA-15 Camo Drop Tank

[CenterlineStation3]

StationID=3

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=510.0

AllowedWeaponClass=FT

AttachmentType=WP

FuelTankName=LA-15 Green Drop Tank

I wish I could show you what I did in the editor with the LOD. But it was simply renameing the bmp to match the new camo and green bmps with each tank. Do dots and spaces in the LOD make that much differance? Im kinda at a standstill here. Ive done all I can think of so now Im pestering you.

Svetlinnh, you mentioned you edited the LOD. I have HHD Hex editor and have tried to rename the bmp listed in the LOD. Thought I had it but the tanks still dont show. They are in the weapons editor but not the game. Ive made the adjustments you mentioned for the data.ini for the plane...

// Weapon Stations ---------------------------------------------------------

[CenterlineStation]

StationID=1

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=510.0

AllowedWeaponClass=FT

AttachmentType=WP

FuelTankName=LA-15 Drop Tank

[CenterlineStation2]

StationID=2

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=510.0

AllowedWeaponClass=FT

AttachmentType=WP

FuelTankName=LA-15 Camo Drop Tank

[CenterlineStation3]

StationID=3

StationGroupID=1

StationType=EXTERNAL

LoadLimit=510.0

AllowedWeaponClass=FT

AttachmentType=WP

FuelTankName=LA-15 Green Drop Tank

I wish I could show you what I did in the editor with the LOD. But it was simply renameing the bmp to match the new camo and green bmps with each tank. Do dots and spaces in the LOD make that much differance? Im kinda at a standstill here. Ive done all I can think of so now Im pestering you.

pcpilot, you have to be carefull when editting the LOD file.

When changing the bmp name in the LOD, you have to make sure the new name uses the same number of symbols as the original one. For example:

- original name: La-15Tank.bmp (9 symbols)

- possible new name: LA15GTank.bmp (also 9 symbols)

- wrong new name: La-15GTank.bmp (see the difference?, there are 10 symbols)

So if the original name contains for example 9 symbols, you cannot put a new one with 10 symbols

Regarding the La-15, I think you are on the wrong way.

As per another thread, La-15 contains the tank as part of the model itself, so here you should be able to use the other approach - placing the tank texture file inside the texture folder of the aircraft itself.

read this thread from the KB: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php/topic/40586-how-do-i-get-dt-skins-to-show-in-sf2/

Hope that helps!