Sign in to follow this  
Roger55

Dual core processors

Hi

I joined to ask this question.

I saw OFF on the SOH forum and went looking for it. The minimum requirements confuse me. I have a Celeron Dual Core that operates each core at 2GHz. My Computer Tech said that the combined speed was something like 2.6 GHz.

Now the dual core requirement is listed at 2.2 GHz.

I don't know whether the 512MB Vid card makes any difference. But I am thinking that everything will have to be turned off like I had to do with FS2004 on my old computer.

Anyway I'm not sure if I meet the basic requirement.

Could someone please give me some insight.

hmmm.... At the risk of sounding a party pooper Roger55 (and welcome to the forum)!

Can you advise as to which Video Card you are using?...As I have a feeling you may struggle!..cos Celerons are not really for gaming I dont think

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

hmmm.... At the risk of sounding a party pooper Roger55 (and welcome to the forum)!

Can you advise as to which Video Card you are using?...As I have a feeling you may struggle!..cos Celerons are not really for gaming I dont think

Yes Widowmaker I can do that.

It's an MSI NX8400GS dual core 512MB DDR2 that every application I have reads as a GeForce.

I thought I was moving up. The old Radeon 256 PCI had less memory and of all things a PC bus.

That improved may frame rate on FS2004 by about 4-6 fps over the built in!

That Intel Celeron CPU is an E1400. I don't know where look the thing up except on Intel to know what it's good for.

I told my Tech that I needed new puter to run Word and half the Flight sims on the planet. I didn't want something like the HP clunker I had for 5 years.

As a general rule, the most taxing on the capabilities of your CPU is the flight simulator. And OFF is no exception. If we take the reasoning of your Tech that it's got the capability of a 2.6 Ghtz

Then using the same method of calculation, my Quad which runs at 2.4 should have the capability of a 3.6 Ghtz

Unfortunately such is not case, because I can run OFF nothing special, yet totally enjoyable from a single core at 2.4Ghtz

When DOOM III was released, if your computer was not up to the mark, it refused to install, such is not the case with OFF

So we are talking a definite maybe :-).

So we are talking a definite maybe :-).

Maybe that was a little flippant. I would appreciate any collective knowledge that was out there. Really.

I shpold have written down what the one fellow said about going into a file and modifying the number of planes displayed. Half the thread disappeared???????????????????????????

Since we are talking about computer systems and OOF. What system would max out the the sim? I have a 2.0 dual core with a XP operating system( I run a single processor for OFF) AMD 64 3800 processor 2 gbs ram DDR Nvida Ge force 7600 graphics card. 256 mb. Currently it overheats and chugs along at 40 frame rate during the game. What system would make OFF rock? without overdoing it? Kudos luv the forum and the game.