Sign in to follow this  
Roger55

A Question about `puters

Hello

I emailed the main OFF site and was advised to come to this board and this topic.

First my new machine (as opposed to the Horror from HP). The CPU is an Intel Celeron E1400 2GHz dual core. My computer tech said it would run equivalent to a 2.6 GHz single core processor. Memory is as large as I could afford, 2GB. The Vid Card is an MSI NX8400GS 512 MB "Dual Core Cell" that various applications have read as a GeForce.

Now, because I read what people say about their flight sims, I see that OFF is supposed to require a 2.2Mhz dual core. Except I was informed that OFF does not use the dual core processor but needs the processor's over all speed. At least I think that's what I am being told.

Me I'd just like to know if it will run. On my old machine (Celeron 2.5 GHz, 2GB, a 252 MB Radeon 9250 with a PCI bus) the most complex planes for FS2004 had trouble exceding 10fps. Now they run at 30-50fps. The stock planes ran at 20 + now they run at 75 or so. CFS3 was better by maybe 10-15%.

I haven't understood much about computer structure since DOS and the 386SX. So I don't one CPU from another. And dual core as far as I now is two CPUs linked and working in tandem.

I've been told in effect "you pay your money and takes your chances." Not a very encouraging answer.

So if there is any collective experience out there that might help me decide, I'd appreciate hearing it. Not too jargony though, I don't know much about vid cards or CPUs I just know you need quick switching and Memory for cache. Of course I may be wrong about that.

Salute.gif Hi mines a 2.0 dual core Xp operating system a 256 mg Nvida Ge 7600 Graphics Card AMD 64 processor. It runs OFF most of the time fine max frame rate is 40 (Puter has a heat problem) wish the frame rate was 60. Check with sittin duck in this forum he set mine up to run OFF when I had problems. Althought I do run a single cpu (theres a down load thingy U can get) The game played with both cpus at the set up. Hope this helps. The game and the forum rocks. Carrick58bye.gif

Roger55,

As you've been able to tell from http://www.overflandersfields.com/sysreq.htmhe, your system just about meets minimum requirements. You'll be able to run BHaH, but only with graphics details turned way down (including graphics sliders and in-game object density settings). As the system requrements states, you'll have low frame rates:

Depending on system configuration should give FPS around 10 min-40 max depending on settings in workshop

Lower settings are possible for lower systems but fps may be poor.

However, low FPS isn't necessarily a problem...the game will look and play MUCH, MUCH better than RB3D ever did.

Why not talk to your tech about upgrading your Socket 775 processor to something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115206? If your motherboard would support an upgrade, with proper cooling, you could reach processor speeds of 3.0 GHz or better. And tell your tech that BHaH is a single core application.

Good luck

Roger, if you go here.......http://www.brothersoft.com/pc-wizard-2008-download-62271.html.......... download PC Wizard 2008 and run it, it will tell you whatever you need to know about your machine.

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

Hi Roger, you will need/want the OFF3 super patch. It is about 200 MB.

Yes it would be nice to know what motherboard I have. Unfortunately, this was a rush job because the HP horror burned out in July. So I left it up to Granit Computing. I have been struggling with reloading stuff since then.

If a brand new copy of OFF ordered today needs a 200 MB patch, I can't download it unless there is a mirror that will let me use a manager to restart over the long period it will take 200 MB to come over the phone line.

I called Granit. If I find some CPUs that I want I can bring the tower down there and have them tell me if they will work. The Tech thought the Intel E7400 mentioned in this thread should work. Intel has Celerons that are faster (2.2 and 2.4 GHz) in the same series as the E1400. Bench time there is now $110 an hour; so, I may simply have to go for something a little cheaper.

I will look for the brothersoft site. Thanks.

Motherboard Intel PQ35JO with Intel Q35 Chipset.

If it's going to generate so much heat that I need to open the side and blow into the tower with a Breez Box fan, I just bought a white elephant this morning.

Back in the DOS days RB was my first flight sim. Worked the flight model slowly up. It was great. Thought maybe someone had done the same kind of thing for Windows. Too bad.

I ran OFF P1 on a 1.7 GHz Machine with 512MB RAM

BH&H is more complex so I'm sure it require more than my old clunker

But I say give it a go on the rig you've got

You've already ordered everything so I wouldn't bother upgrading the rig til you know where you're at

btw. uncleal is the 1st I've heard of anyone needing an open case and an external fan

HTH,

I should have thanked Camel Jockey for the stear to PC Wizard. It even shows the CPU temperature! Great little utility.

Started downloading 1.32 Uberpatch. Manager says it will take 10 hours and the site has resume support.. Please let me know if I don't have to do this, since I bought OFF today. At least the site will let dial up download. I've had to beg for ETO and an update for BOB II. That really must irritate folks when have to do it.

OK, We all do what we need to do to get OFF working

I just didn't want Roger to think his PC would overheat when he doesn't even have his DVD yet

Rog, 99% chance you'll be A-OK temp wise

Roger55,

Overheating can sometimes be a problem with a CPU intensive program like BHaH, considering the sometimes poor quality of standard fans/heatsinks. But since you already know how to monitor CPU temperature with PC Wizard, why not measure CPU temps while giving your PC a real workout with Prime95 http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html or Orthos http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=200 or with BHaH itself.

BTW, there is a lot of PC information (and misinformation) to be had for free via the internet, but keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Be skeptical.

Good luck.

Roger55,

Overheating can sometimes be a problem with a CPU intensive program like BHaH, considering the sometimes poor quality of standard fans/heatsinks. But since you already know how to monitor CPU temperature with PC Wizard, why not measure CPU temps while giving your PC a real workout with Prime95 http://www.majorgeek...me95_d4363.html or Orthos http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=200 or with BHaH itself.

BTW, there is a lot of PC information (and misinformation) to be had for free via the internet, but keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Be skeptical.

Good luck.

Now there's a good idea!

A fact based decision

Motherboard Intel PQ35JO with Intel Q35 Chipset.

Hi rodger

I tried to find your MOBO but couldnt. Does it have a 775 socket?

GB

Well I was thinking after reading the stuff on the web site that is there I thought I would probably be running with 4/1/1/1/1 or something close to that and sneak things up.

And if there is a way to turn off music (if there is any) you do that too. You need engine sounds.

On my old rig, which lasted for five years, I flew MSFS2004 with really low settings, and sometimes ridiculously low frame rates (4-6 for a 1906 Antoinette-very detailed). The CPU was another Celeron and the Vid card with 252MB had a PC bus, a real bottleneck.

And there must be a way to reduce the "hundreds of AC in the sky."

Now the 132 super patch is 188 MB. 132F is called a mini patch. Now if 132 super patch is going to hit the frame rate and tax the CPU I can do without patches that are just upgrades.

I've been doing IL2FB with the settings all up. Don't know how that compares. And the same goes for FS2004.

Grumpy Bear. Missed your post while typing mine.

Socket Yes 775 LGA socket.

Edited by Roger55

And there must be a way to reduce the "hundreds of AC in the sky

Now the 132 super patch is 188 MB. 132F is called a mini patch. Now if 132 super patch is going to hit the frame rate and tax the CPU I can do without patches that are just upgrades.

I've been doing IL2FB with the settings all up. Don't know how that compares. And the same goes for FS2004.

Roger 55,

You can reduce the number of aircraft and ground objects from within Workshop.

BHaH works just fine out of the box. No need to apply any patches, really, but you will miss out on improvements to the game interface, new scenarios, and smoother gameplay (just to mention a few of the many improvements)

PC requirements for IL2FB and are much lower than for BHaH.

Hope this helps...

Rodger: Just to eliminate any confusion that MAY occur down the road. BHaH will run fine out of box, no major problems, like backwards flying aircraft, but the sheer number of patches, are IMHO, due to pilots who desire perfection, and a support gang that's willing to bend over backwards to give it to them. I got my fill of patches at 1.26, that's when I said Enough is Enough. However I tried offering a solution to a Newbie, as it was, I sounded like I was from Neptune, because unbeknownest to me WORKSHOP was different in 1.28. Sooo I installed 1.28, and remained there until the Superpatch became available

You're basically on your own, as far as settings will be concerned, some things will still be the same, while others have changed, some no-longer exist, perhaps they've been replaced

Let's Clear the Air Right NOW: There are 5 working Graphics Sliders. Namely; Aircraft, Scenery, Terrian, Effects, and Clouds PERIOD

Sometimes 6 are listed, in an effort to minimize confusion. The first one the OVERALL Don't Do Schitt, it's a left-over from CFS3. It's a gang operator, as you move it, the remaining 5 will mimic it's position

The Boys at OBD say a 2.2 Duo: Minimum recomended to have a Reasonable experience . . . . . everything is an estimate, a number had to be given, sooo they said 2.2

But normally the amount of mathimatical computations needed by a flight simulation are above a Celeron's capabilities

We Shall See

The Intel DQ35JOE Mother board is compatible with the Intel Core2 Duo E7400

2.m Mhz unless Intel's own site is a lying sack of crap.

I need to ask the tech about the addition to the suffix "E". Intel fails to explain that.

I have confirmed the Motherboard by utility and getting into the box.

Both the E1400 Celeron and the E7400 have nearly the same operating temp 73 and 74 degrees C.

So there appears no need to get a different fan for the CPU.

I have yet to ask the tech what the difference in the figures 65nm and 45nm means.

My contingency plan is to buy the new processor if the the one I have now locks which in my experience is the real demonstration of insufficient processing power.

I have tolerated many things over the years because software developers and hardware developers play a little marketing game. Like Automobiles they expect you to buy "New" every two years. I do not care if something runs slow. My reaction times were "shot" 20 years ago.

Pretty scenery and great effects are not as important as the cockpit and the controlers that can be used. Myy throttles are where my left hand can get to them. My stick is in my right. I have a paid of peddals. I hate reaching across to the stick to adjust the throttle.

This puter cost me 1.2 bills and most of that was bench time to load my OS and the other various stuff that needs online updating.

I used a Compaq Presario for 5 years. I flew NY to Paris in the crappiest handling AC I have ever messed with, the SoSL at 12Fps with nothing but a world map a watch, and an "add on" real star sky. I recorded my progress with snapper which slowed the frame rate for SimOuthouse.

I have been into files in FS2004 changing engine specs and into CS3 changing Convergence ranges. I've rebuilt panels and changed contact points. I'm on afraid of files.

If I knew how to change a CPU and had the tool, I'd do it myself.

Yes, we shall see.

Roger55

I'm with you Roger!...Bring back my 386SX, Dos5.0, 64k RAM and two 20mb HDD's Doublespaced to 40mb!...Ah yes..Those were the days! :salute:

I'm with you Roger!...Bring back my 386SX, Dos5.0, 64k RAM and two 20mb HDD's Doublespaced to 40mb!...Ah yes..Those were the days! Salute.gif

Let's bring back 80ms hard drives, too. They left scorch marks on my desk back then...now wouldn't even qualify as boat anchors. rofl.gif

I'm with you Roger!...Bring back my 386SX, Dos5.0, 64k RAM and two 20mb HDD's Doublespaced to 40mb!...Ah yes..Those were the days! Salute.gif

Don't need to bring it back. The 386SX is still sitting in the cabinet. Two 40mb Seagates and slots for a 3.5 and 5.25 floppies. It has 1024 Ram and is in a generic XT box. I converted it one component at a time over about a year (adding memory to the slots in 256 pieces) from the XT starting with the mother board. It runs at 12 MHz Turbo.! I ran AoE on it which wasn't supposed to be possible. Also AoP and RB. My first flight sim was Lucas films BOB. And yup I kept DOS 5.0. That's when you could buy parts at the electronics store and programs had printed manuals.

By the way that Computer still runs. Not like the Dell and HP Compaq that burned out their motherboards (cheap capacitors leaking dialectic) and crashed their HDs every 2 years.

Never crashed a Seagate built in the USA.

Edited by Roger55