Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

USAAF/RAF Bombing Campaign?

Been thinking starting work on an ETO Strategic Bombing Campaign. Two, I should say. One for the daylight USAAF bombing and one for the RAF night bombings.

If anyone would like to help me with information regarding bomber and fighter units and their placements I would greatly appreciate that. This includes Luftwaffe fighter units, whom I may do daylight and night time intercept campaigns for too.

Anyone want to help?

You bet, I'd like to help out.

I have a great source for OOB for just what you're after.

Let me get my stuff organised and I'll see what I can post up here.

don't forget, too, that map needs a MAJOR target's overhaul...the Rhur valley is pretty much blank as to the factories and manufacturing centers needed (as is most of The Continent)

wrench

kevin stein

Here is USAAF 8th Army OOB for Feb 1944, with Luftwaffe day fighter OOB for the same period.

post-16914-12512430633081_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1251243189943_thumb.jpg

OOBs courtesy of "Duel For the Sky - Ten Crucial Air Battles of WW2" by Christopher Shores, Guild Publishing, London, 1985. Well worth picking up a copy if you can find one.

Next up, RAF Bomber Command OOB and Luftwaffe Nightfighter OOB for the same period.

Those are great Baltika! Great help.

I noticed that Luftflotte 2 in Italy doesn't have specified bases, though.

@ Wrench: Are there any updates to that map in the works? If not, I guess it's time for me to learn how to start placing targets!

No plans at present to take on THAT challenge! (read: if I thought WW2 Japan was tough ... imagine WW2 Europe) Although, if I ever get the proper texturelist.ini, there's some custom tiles that need creating for the 'exclusion zones' around the airbases. Meaning, that would give them the nice, clear empty regions around the runways and such. Also too, Fighter Command (and Luftwaffe fighter bases as well) really should have a runway -- most were just grass field ala First Eagles (another experiment I'm working on)

I'd love to retile the entire thing with the WoE tiles. It's like the 'modern' 4-seasons Euro version (again, needing those exclusion zones) that I'd started last year. There's a LOT of internal issues that prevent the 4-Season versions from blending together (least of which is the tiles). In 2005 when it was released, it was a VERY good map. But, it's showing it's age. As we player demand more 'eye candy' in our sophistication, these older terrains need to be brought up to current (ok, 06) levels.

The shear size of this map gives it SOOOO much potential, it really cries out for upgrades.

Look at it this way....adding targets really isn't an arcane science; it just takes the will to do literally days or weeks of research to properly locate the target areas, find/adapt the necessary objects, place them in the histoirc or semi-historic locations, recreate the look and feel of the 1940s, then test, test and test again.

Those steps I posted in the KB about 'Placing Targets' works superbly well ... it eliminates hundreds of hours of guesswork, and puts your player aircraft directly over the target area to be rebuilt. It really works, as the Okinawa map will show.

wrench

kevin stein

Those are great Baltika! Great help.

I noticed that Luftflotte 2 in Italy doesn't have specified bases, though.

Sorry, can't help with Luftflotte 2 bases, maybe try here:

http://www.ww2.dk/

Also, here is the rest of the USAAF 15 Army OOB, with XV Fighter Command:-

post-16914-12512733411925_thumb.jpg

Happy coding :wink:

Cheers,

Baltika

Ok, forgetting that either Stary or Brain32 had the texturelist, and had sent it to me for the modern EAW Euro rebuild attempt....even though the tiles themselves LOOK different, they share the same names.

So....

off I go into the TE and import the WW2Euro, and start looking round it. Of course, we don't have a cities ini that lists things, so I'll have to rebuild one (all 255 items!!) just to locate all the airfields. And, again, the 'copy/paste' method of populating cities which makes them problematic (as in each and everyone will need a Total & Utter Rebuild ™ ) Then there's the rail stations ... those ALL need flattening, as the bits and bobs tend to disappear into the ground beneath them (just like on the NorthAfrica, Tunisia, Burma and the as yet unfinished Indo-Pak and Korea maps)

But...I was able to import the airfield tiles from WOV, so it's just a matter of placing them (well, and painting to match of course...), as seen in the screenie below, it's not quite matching yet. The water/river tgas need some going over (which I'd thought I'd already done some year ago....)

but it's most eiminantly doable. Unfortunately, with the terrain and other mods workload, don't expcet anything for major for this map until after the New Year. The shear amount of target areas, the cusomization needed foreach and every one, new terrain objects to be imported -- Gepards BoB terrain will be a godsend for that -- to say nothing of somehow adapting WoE forests and fields....some tods for the farm tiles are very easily created, adding small groves of trees to them isn't all that difficult.

So, expect a VERY long lead time before anything major in the targets area materalizes. One good thing is, we have SO many people that live in the region, ther's an overabundunance of informations availalbe (if one knows where to look), so reasearch times can be cut down a bit. Thank goodness I bought the 8 volume set of "Impact" 30 years ago!!

wrench

kevin stein

Wrench, as always, take as much time as you need. I'm still going to try and place some factories around the Ruhr and elsewhere. Maybe some U-Boat pens too in their respective places. If you want, I can send that to you once I'm happy with it. I doubt I'll have a beta campaign out before October, anyway.

Hi Viggen,

As promised:-

post-16914-12514144911672_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1251414519073_thumb.jpg

Personally, I would love to see a "Defender of the Reich" style campaign whereby you get to fly various weird and wonderful SWotL type planes against impossible odds. That would also give me an incentive to finish that EAW/Janes WW2F Luftwaffe speechpack to complement my RAF one. . . :grin:

But, if you can handle setting up the core campaign data files, I am more than happy to do a Red-side conversion for a dedicated Luftwaffe campaign, adding various semi-fictional Erprobungsgruppe units :cool:

Just give me a shout.

Cheers,

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

That's great Baltika! These are exactly what I needed! Thanks!

I actually had an idea to do a SWOTL version of these campaigns after I finished the historical* versions. If you want to use my historical* Luftwaffe campaigns as a base go right ahead, I like the idea and would love to help. Maybe add in Secret Allied aircraft and B-29s too!

I remember a few years ago, the History Channel had a documentary on the real SWOTL and Luftwaffe Kamikaze weapons. Have had in interest in SWOTL ever since.

*As accurate as possible, that is.

Edited by Viggen

Folks,

Was at a loss as to what to do and decided to search to see what ever happened to the old 'Target for Tonight' sim that was kicking around a few years back; to my no great suprise it has become vaporware. Anyway my presonal interest in flight sims has allways been WW2 Bombing campiagns (Europe 8th airforce, RAF Bomber Command and 21th BC against Japan) and I've ammassed quite a bit of information on the subject, especially with regard to RAF Bomber Command. For example I've got pretty much every Luftwaffe airfireld in Europe (name and in many cases location and layout - admittedly only very detailed for some of them but meh...), flak and searchlight belts, layouts and plans of virtually every German Oil target in Europe (location, map, detailed layout, production capacity etc.). I'm in work now so obviously I can't post them blink.gif , but if anybody is interested I can. Also I've ammassed a large ammounts of documnetary material with reagrds to the bombing of Germany in WW2 (some of it primary source material), again I'll post a detailed list of the source material I have. Now I'm no programmer nor do I even own WOE (big EVE-Online and Silent Hunter player) but I would love to contribute/help in anyway towards any WW2 Bombing mod etc.