Sign in to follow this  
zagnut

Grandmother Has Passed

I figured I'd share with you guys since some of you have posted several personal things on this board.

Hi guys,

Just a few hours ago, my grandma just passed away. Her name was Mildred, born 1906 in Galveston, TX; close to my native city Houston. She was 97 when she died, and was one elegant woman all her life. She was my Memaw too. I had the opportunity to spend some time with her when I went home to TX last X-mas, and she was a delight as always, but she had been suffering from dimensia, so she would slip in and out concerning the simple things, like recognizing me for instance. After a couple of those episodes, she snapped back to herself and told me not to worry about thos things, and she also knew that I understood what she meant. We were very close to each other all my life. I'll never foget her. I love you Memaw, and I'll miss you.

Chris

Edited by zagnut

Guest MrMudd

I feel for ya,

I recieved notification Today that my Grandmother has a week to live. She has had a great life and had immigrated to america back in the 30's from her native country of iceland. The hard part of all of this is that she has alzeheimers and has reverted back to her icelandic Tongue and their is only 4 of us that can speak with her. Fortunately i am local too her and try to speak with her daily. I found out today that she was in the hospital. When i spoke with her in Icelandic she proceeded to tell me she was ok and was going to have her first baby! I had to laugh, i dont think she understood what her outcome was. It sure cut pain in the conversation and helped me deal with it better. She was the most positive person ive had in my life. Which makes it so much harder to let her go.

She has been bed ridden for 2 years now, and suffers from dementia and alzeheimers. I had to make the decision as my father and uncles and aunts left that to me. Since i was her favorite and was raised by her. and the other family members did not want that responsebility. I had to make the call. It was time to let her have peace. She lived a great life.

I instructed the doctors to take her off the life sustaining Medication and we moved her out of the hospital today and into a room in my home. We have a hospice nurses here 24 hours. I felt that it was best that she be around people that love her and not the cold administrative methods of a care facility.

Mr. Mudd, thanks for your kind words, and I hope your Grandma goes in peace like mine did. My mom and I made the call on the hospice service, but I couldn't be home in Texas 24-7 b/c I live in Vegas with my fiance`. The last thing I got to tell her was about my engagement (over the phone though), but she was very happy. Vicki and I had been together for 5 years before I popped the question. She'd been busting my butt to ask her to marry me! In fact, after our first year together, Vicki and Memaw had been introduced months earlier, and I was away on duty at the time; she and Memaw had become very close. When I finally received my discharge from the MArines and came home, I asked Memaw if I should marry her, and she told me I'd be a fool not to! I'm so happyu though, that I had the chance to see her during Christmas and have that closure, and she knew that I would need it.

Edited by zagnut

She went old your grandmother.

She saw in her live, the first airplanes. Two World Wars. First skycrapers. First computers, tv, radio and movie that turned from black&white into colour.

A whole history has past with her live. Remember that and remember how your grandmother was.

Mine (only) grandmother (still living) is 96 and she told me about the those things what I just had written.

Salute

Dutchy

Mt grandmother died when I was about five. I didn't even know what cancer was at the time all I knew was that my grandmother was sick. It was horrible. I know what you're going through and I think I speak for the whole community when I say we all have you in our prayers.

Zag, Mudd, Its not easy making those decisions, I know. I had to make it concerning my mother before she passed. I still wonder sometimes if I did the right thing. But then I think how I would have felt if the situation had been reversed. When the decision is between prolonging suffering and finally ending it, I knew in my heart what needed to be done. It didnt make it any easier though.

Funny thing was, after the decision was made, I was reading the Bible to her as she slipped slowly away, I looked down and my eye caught a verse that seemed to stand out. It was Psalms 116:15..."Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints." I was like God was standing there next to me, some low-life ant, and pointing this verse out. From that moment on, I knew that what happening was right and that I would see her again one day. She passed away Feb.2nd, 1998.

Guest MrMudd

Im glad we made the decision we did, She passed away this morning at 7:30AM she was awake long enough to see the wife, kids and I . We spent about an hour with her joking, laughing and haveing a good time. She was happy.

After i got back from takeing the kids to school, she was gone.

I was born in her home, and she had passed away in mine. it really puts your life in perspective.

She had avoided hitler in the 30's as a College student in berlin. Ran to denmark was then captured by the nazis she participated in danish underground rebel activities, and was smuggled back to Iceland while being pursuid by the german army and SS for being a sympathiser and fighter against the hitler agenda., her family then immigrated to the united states in fear of their life.

like what was said above. Their generation had given all. Survived several decades of conflict, political change, Technology and new freedoms. It really puts a whole new perspective on your life. When you know your sending the last line of your people off to school.

Lo, there do I see my father.

Lo, there do I see my mother,

and my sisters, and my brothers.

Lo, there do I see the line of my people,

Back to the beginning!

Lo, they do call to me.

They bid me take my place among them,

In the halls of Valhalla!

Where the brave may live

Forever!

Salute!

Jenny-Maria katrina Simmonson

My deepest and most heart felt condolences goes to both of you on your loss..I like Mudd was raised by my Grandparents,so I was lucky enough to have their insight and learnings passed to me.My Grandfather died when I was 15 and I felt his loss deeply,and I still miss him today,but my Grandmother finished where he left off.She was there for every ball game I played,and for everymajor event in my life...she even made the trip to SC when I graduated from Boot.So I can feel your pain as I lost her about 2 years ago.When things were bad when I was stationed over seas they told me she wouldn't turn off the TV.I believe in my heart theres no Love like that of a grandparent..as I now Have a grandson of my own I can feel what they must have.

So to both of you just remember that as long as you remember and love they are never truely gone.My prayers and thoughts are with you and your families.

God bless and protect and comfort.

Zag..he at Biohaz we are an extened family...we all just happen to have a common love of sims..so yes if you want to post personal things feel free and if you want to rant go ahead..if it's really bad snd me a PM and I'll listen.

SEMPER FI

Rusty

Mr. Mudd, Dutchy, Dagger, Pcpilot, Cowboy; thanks for all of the kind words, and thankyou for the support that you've given myself and Mudd. I see now, looking back, that I will live though her, and that she may be gone, she will live through me and Vicki.

Semper Fi Rusty, Thanks.

Edited by zagnut

I am so sorry to hear of your grand mothers passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you this day.

Sorry to hear about your grandmother....i just lost mine a few weeks ago...she had alzheimers and dimensia her last couple of years and the last couple of times she didnt recognize me...its hard to lose them but their in a better place now...

Semper Fi