Sign in to follow this  
Chaser617

SF2 and Aircraft 'Eras'

You know, I've had SF2 for a couple months now but its just now occured to me with some Korea and a few WW2 aircraft released, does SF2 do a better job at preventing 'era mixing' than SFP1? I remember the different installs if I wanted WW2, Korea and later because if you were not careful and lumped them together, you could literally have AD's zekes trying to mix it up with Tomcats (which is funny and admitedly a little fun to recreate FC).

If this question has been asked and anwsered, sorry guys, you all know my 'search-fu' tends to fail at times.

The short answer is yes...but you have to work at it.

SF2 aircraft now include a file called ****_USERLIST.INI. That file for each aircraft simply lists what 'Nations' used that particular aircraft and what years they used it. The terrains have a file called ****_NATIONS.INI that lists the nations involved in that terrain.

So you can already see the benefit...the sim looks at the date and terrain, then compares the USERLIST and NATIONS ini files and simply determines where they intersect for each aircraft.

FC

Can SF2 do the same for terrains and time periods? I know it can limit nations on maps, but can it set the time period of that? ie Could it allow for the French to appear on the Vietnam map in the late 40s-1950s when they were still in Indochina, but not in the 1960s?

Can SF2 do the same for terrains and time periods? I know it can limit nations on maps, but can it set the time period of that? ie Could it allow for the French to appear on the Vietnam map in the late 40s-1950s when they were still in Indochina, but not in the 1960s?

I believe that you can, but you must set up the install accordingly. I'll elaborate.

I have all three of Third Wire's second gen titles. You're probably aware that if you install them in order, every successive title merges with it's predecessors. Every title also creates it's own sub-folder within the main mod folder. Every sub folder contains the full planest (SF2, SF2V, SF2E). Now, one normally runs the whole mess off of the first game's .exe file, and therefore has access to all terrains and eras.....well,

I've deleted all the unnecessary objects (including aircraft) from my SF2V sub folder. I've also created my own VietnamSEA_nations.ini, with limited nations (but to which I've also added the Khmer-Rouge and Pathet-Lao).

In order to use all this...you have to run SF2V as a standalone, using it's own .exe (and not the SF2.rxe). Despite being a standalone, it still resides within the same folder structure as the other titles.

SF2V.png

Edited by Fubar512